neuro not competitive??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

euv3x

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading one of the threads here and was surprised to hear that neurology is not a competitive field. I am interested in peds neuro, and am debating between that and neurosurg- I know they are very different. But, I would like to hear more about whether neurology is competitive and how hard it is to match in this field. Also, if anyone has advice for matching well in neuro, I would love to hear it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

euv3x, you have already fulfilled one of the criteria for entry into the field. That is a pulse.

The second will be met when you graduate from medical school and finish an internship year.

Then have your pick of 95%+ of the programs in the country as they are all wide open. A few of the big names are competitive.

In the past, students have attributed Neurology's lack of popularity to few effective treatments and relatively low compensation.

But I am still surprised that things aren't picking up with the shift away from primary care back toward the specialties. After all, Path, PM&R, & gas are all getting renewed interest from U.S. grads. And I think the Neurology salary is better than general internal medicine.

Is there any evidence from this last match that things are picking up?

Really? Neurology not competitive? I think I have a skewed perception of the field. I just hear neurology and think "brain." What do neurologists actually do or research? Does this include neurosurgeons?