DO matching neuro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dingerhoppitus very

Reaction score
Hi I am a DO student at an established school and I want to know my chances for matching neurology in the southern US 2025 match
2nd quartile of my class in preclinical years
no honors in clerkships , only pass
4 posters and 2 publications, (1 pub and 2 posters in neurology out of those)
Step 1 pass and comlex pass
extracurriculars include extensive volunteering and various medical clubs/society member
step 2: 245 and comlex: 600
No red flags, 2 strong letters from neurology and one from IM
I am doing auditions at two of my top choices and overall would appreciate any advice.
I am trying to stay in one geographic region. Are DOs pretty disadvantaged for neurology? Is it feasible to only apply 20 programs (the ones i realistically want to go to).

Members don't see this ad.

If you really want Neuro, don’t limit yourself to one geographic region and/or 20 programs. I’d apply to at least 35-40 programs. Otherwise, you have a pretty good chance. DO do pretty well applying neuro, but I wouldn’t take any chances because if you’re out of luck and end up not matching, you will not be able to soap into a neuro spot (there are usually only like 2-3 unmatched spots left after match). Better be safe than sorry.

Agree with Dr. Strange - don't limit yourself too much. Southeast is much easier to match to than NE or WC, but I would at least expand to some Midwestern programs to be safe.