Neuro/Diag Rad/Neurorad combined programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adawaal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering whether anyone had interviewed at or considered any of the triple board neurorad residency programs and had any thoughts to share.....

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

well i considered it for a brief time. i came to med school to practice the clinical neurosciences and became interested in functional neuroimaging during med school.

i actually thought about applying to the combined programs as well as straight neurology, but decided against the combined programs for a number of reasons:
1.) i came to the med school route to see and directly impact peoples' lives everyday and have a sustained relationship w/ people who are suffering as well as my colleagues [who may well be suffering by being w/ me ;) ]
2.) i didn't see myself interested in intimately learning and practicing imaging of all the other areas of the body besides the brain and spinal cord.
3.) i'll be able to do the research that i want to as a neurologist, and i'll be at a major academic institution where i can collaborate w/ exceptional neuroradiologists
4.) i think it gives too little time to clinical neurology training
5.) i'm not that interested in being an interventional neuroradiologist (which is what i think this combined program is best for)
6.) i spoke w/ the neurology PD at Cleveland Clinic who told me that they haven't even taken anybody in that program over the past 5(?) years.
7.) long time. if you want to do Interventional Neurorads, you can now go either to rads+fellowship or to neuro+fellowship (see my post in the rads forum)
8.) i'm most interested in movement disorders and behavioral neurology. not exactly a route thru neurorads to see these patients in clinic.

my 7.785 Colones: figure out what you want to do in the future, spend time w/ neurologists, radiologists, neuroradiologist, and interventional neuroradiologists (if you have the time), and what you ultimately intend for your contact w/ patients and reaserch.

good luck, and if you're going to the neuro route and need advice, you can PM me and i'll try to help out (in chicago now and for my prelim year)