Need some guidance and opinions for choosing my premed program.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madeleinew3

Reaction score
Hello!
I am (yet another) high school student hoping to enter medical school and unable to make a decision for my pre-med program.
I was accepted into Western for Medical Sciences, Waterloo for Honours Sciences, McMaster for Life Sciences, and Guelph for Biomedical Sciences. I think I've brought it down to being between Guelph and Western.
I keep reading contradicting opinions on each program, so I'm not really sure which one I'm favouring at this point.
If you took either program as your undergrad, where are you now? What are your thoughts on the program? I know it doesn't matter which program I choose, it's only down to the GPA, but I just want to know what other people's experiences were like or what they've heard from other people!
Sorry, I know it must be a rarity to find a high schooler seeking advice on here and you're definitely not sick of it, but I thought it would be worth a shot, just to get some outside opinions.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I think it's better to post on Premed101 as SDN is an American site, luckily I am a Canadian who graduated from Western Medical Science. You are right in that GPA is what matters the most so you should ultimately make a decision that can help you get the best grades as well as a good amount of extracurricular activities. If I were to go back, I would've done Guelph Biomedical Sciences. Western Medsci is a great program, but it is a tough program. It's filled with students just like you who have an 90+ coming in from high school and as a result competition can be tough and you would most likely be grinding really hard to get a good GPA.

There were many people that got into an Ontario medical school from my program, but those were the people that were in the library day in and day out and doing tons of extracurriculars. So it is possible to do well, but be prepared to work really hard.

That's just my two cents, I'm not sure how difficult Guelph Biomedical Sciences would be, but I'm sure it would be easier since the grade point to get in is a bit lower and competition would probably be less as a result.

Hi,

I think it's better to post on Premed101 as SDN is an American site, luckily I am a Canadian who graduated from Western Medical Science. You are right in that GPA is what matters the most so you should ultimately make a decision that can help you get the best grades as well as a good amount of extracurricular activities. If I were to go back, I would've done Guelph Biomedical Sciences. Western Medsci is a great program, but it is a tough program. It's filled with students just like you who have an 90+ coming in from high school and as a result competition can be tough and you would most likely be grinding really hard to get a good GPA.

There were many people that got into an Ontario medical school from my program, but those were the people that were in the library day in and day out and doing tons of extracurriculars. So it is possible to do well, but be prepared to work really hard.

That's just my two cents, I'm not sure how difficult Guelph Biomedical Sciences would be, but I'm sure it would be easier since the grade point to get in is a bit lower and competition would probably be less as a result.

Thank you! I actually posted on premed101 as well, I'm just trying to get as many opinions as possible. It definitely seems like most people are recommending Guelph, so I think that's what I'm leaning towards. I'm in a group chat for Western Med Sci, and I can already tell I'm not too fond of the overly competitive nature - just from an online chat, months before the program will even start.

My advise is to oop to one of the easy provinces. If I could go back in time that’s what I would do. Just my 2 cents.