Canadian citizen IMG who needs some advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phenomenall8991

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Canadian citizen who decided to go to Pakistan for medicine right after highschool. Currently finishing up my 1st year here.

It was for the usual reasons... parents convinced me that it would take less time, less money, and above all I was almost guaranteed admission whereas if I stayed to do my bachelors in Canada my chances were low. Wish that I had faith in myself and just tried it in Canada before going to Pakistan but now that I'm here I can't just quit and go back.

My question is, what should I plan to do in terms of obtaining a residency? What are some good steps to take? I would like to practice in Canada, but I know the US option is easier/safer. I'm also open to the UK, and will most likely be applying to a non competitive specialty like FM in either of these countries.

Anyone know of people in a similar situation as me? What did they end up doing?

Members don't see this ad.

High NAC score, and high QE1 score, high usmle step score and at least 3 LORs by Canadain Physicians by doing electives in Canada

You need to be incredibly serious in order to match well. I would focus on the US and Canada if you have the capability/effort because it is more work.

First thing is to study for the USMLE Step 1 and try to aim as high as possible. Next, try to secure some electives in both Canada and the US. If you want to just match, focus on the US but if you really want to come home, then do electives in Canada as well. Try to get amazing reference letters. It won't be easy but it is doable.

Good luck.