General Admissions & OTCAS Need advice! Do I have any chances of getting into a decent school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CET17

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I recently graduated from San Diego State University and am in the process of learning how to apply to get into a master's program for Occupational Therapy. To be honest, I am completely lost as to where to start looking at schools. From just reading a few threads on this site, I have learned that some schools only look at your last 60-Unit GPA and others look at your cumulative GPA. I haven't taken the GRE yet, but plan on studying my butt off to get a great score. I guess my question is, can anyone give me any type of advice as to which schools to look at that'll accept an "average" student. I had a tough time my first two years and it shows in my GPA, but my last two years were filled with Dean's List and Honors grades. I worked at a summer camp all summer, have volunteered as a PT at a clinic, have experience working one on one with a woman with Autism and Down Syndrome all summer for upwards of 40 hours a week, and am currently in the running for an ABA position (fingers crossed!). I plan on applying next year for the 2019 cycle. Any kind of advice or help would mean the world to me! Thank you!!

Major:
Kinesiology
Undergraduate Cumulative GPA: 3.36
Last 60-Unit GPA: 3.74
GRE: Not taken yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone!

I recently graduated from San Diego State University and am in the process of learning how to apply to get into a master's program for Occupational Therapy. To be honest, I am completely lost as to where to start looking at schools. From just reading a few threads on this site, I have learned that some schools only look at your last 60-Unit GPA and others look at your cumulative GPA. I haven't taken the GRE yet, but plan on studying my butt off to get a great score. I guess my question is, can anyone give me any type of advice as to which schools to look at that'll accept an "average" student. I had a tough time my first two years and it shows in my GPA, but my last two years were filled with Dean's List and Honors grades. I worked at a summer camp all summer, have volunteered as a PT at a clinic, have experience working one on one with a woman with Autism and Down Syndrome all summer for upwards of 40 hours a week, and am currently in the running for an ABA position (fingers crossed!). I plan on applying next year for the 2019 cycle. Any kind of advice or help would mean the world to me! Thank you!!

Major:
Kinesiology
Undergraduate Cumulative GPA: 3.36
Last 60-Unit GPA: 3.74
GRE: Not taken yet.

This is such a difficult question to answer because a lot of schools really look at applications differently. What I do know is that state & public schools tend to look more at applications objectively (GPA & GRE scores). In that case, these schools will be more competitive due to high number of applicants due to a much lower tuition. However, there are private schools that look at applications more holistically (GPA/GRE/Personal Statement/Observation/Letters of recommendations/Experiences). As far as GPA & GRE numbers, "average" applicants tend to do better getting in private schools. The big downside is the cost of tuition.