NBC: Overworked, understaffed: Pharmacists say industry in crisis puts patient safety at risk

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 2 users
Supposedly the wife just quit Walgreens (according to a post in the Reddit thread).

Kudos. Don't have to participate in the downward spiral.

The husband is "The Accidental Pharmacist" on FB

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kinda glad this has had some exposure in mainstream media. Maybe this will educate some people to help them understand what we're facing, and maybe this will put some pressure on our overlords...

But as for me, I'm not going to let them work me to death. I'm gonna take my lunch breaks, I'm gonna use the restroom when I need it, and I'm never showing up a minute early and never work late. I am now at the point where I don't care if I get fired anymore. But I sure as hell will make sure that it will be a battle for them to do so.

Reactions: 3 users
I talk enough **** about Walmart that it's relatively easy to pinpoint where I am (if anyone actually cared about what some retail drone said on some niche internet forum). I'd just deny it though

How would this "have consequences for them both." Your typical middle management district manager has no sway outside their little fiefdom. If you quit your **** job, why would you want to go back to that **** job for some **** company?

Cool article, but nothing will change until somebody with some power/influence gets seriously hurt or killed

theres an easy fix. change rph salary from 128k to 64k, then double rph staffing. problem solved

• Haha
Close half or more of the pharmacy schools, require Naplex to be difficult, and require that pharmacists pass Naplex every two years to renew license......weed out the massive overpopulation of bad pharmacists currently in the field, and give bargaining power back to the true professionals........

Members don't see this ad :)
Close half or more of the pharmacy schools, require Naplex to be difficult, and require that pharmacists pass Naplex every two years to renew license......weed out the massive overpopulation of bad pharmacists currently in the field, and give bargaining power back to the true professionals........
They need to make CEs more difficult. There is no way youll have time to study for naplex every two years.

Cool article, but nothing will change until somebody with some power/influence gets seriously hurt or killed
In some states, changes are happening on state level. Texas is passing a legislation regulating PBMs and opening up the possibility of local pharmacies to take legal actions against them. Basically means cvs/caremark may have a massive layoffs due to these lawsuits unless they get rid of their PBM.

They need to make CEs more difficult. There is no way youll have time to study for naplex every two years.
But maybe if you're taking it every 2 years, the material will stay fresh in your mind and you won't have to study as much? But then again, who's going to pay for the study material for the things that do change...

Oh yeah...the test costs around $500 right? F--- that.

Last edited:
Nothing will ever be done about this. I wonder how much “lobbying” money do boards get from chains?

And if you want “adequate” staffing then be prepared to work for $40 an hour instead of $60. Be careful what you wish for..

How would this "have consequences for them both." Your typical middle management district manager has no sway outside their little fiefdom. If you quit your **** job, why would you want to go back to that **** job for some **** company?
Well they'll never work for Walgreens again. And yes I have seen people quit working at Walgreens because they hated it only to come back, some that would later get fired. Something this public embarrassed the company and hurts the brand.

Pharmacists salaries are probably not even top 5 reason why staffing is inadequate, maybe not even top 10. And I am saying that as someone who would consider lower rates for proper working conditions. The fact is that conditions will be the same. I mean Walgreens hasn't given a raise in years and hiring at $40-45. Has their staffing improved over that time period?

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Short sleeve white coat with a long sleeve undershirt is how you lose all credibility as far as I'm concerned.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Pharmacists salaries are probably not even top 5 reason why staffing is inadequate, maybe not even top 10. And I am saying that as someone who would consider lower rates for proper working conditions. The fact is that conditions will be the same. I mean Walgreens hasn't given a raise in years and hiring at $40-45. Has their staffing improved over that time period?
PBMs are the reason for fall of pharmacy profession. Everyone who works at chains dont get to see the reimbursements but those of us that work at independents do. Trust me, once we get rid of pbms and go back to the way we were compensated before, all of this problem will go away the next day.

Techs are paid barely above minimum wage and the chains cut them to the bone. Pharmacist compensation will fall but that will not translate to more RPh hours.

At least you can feel good about how the extra payroll savings improve the stock price.

We already had an article like this not too long ago. The CVS/Wags/etc chains go, "Nuh uh, we care about patient safety." and then nothing changes.

All my techs make 20 plus an hour and range 5 to 15 yr experience. I only work part time and have really thought about be full time tech closer to my family and not having a house that is already paid for and no rent.

• Wow
You are not gonna get a lot of sympathy when the average salary is 128,000.We have it tough.So what.You think we are the only profession with issues?

• Dislike
PBMs are the reason for fall of pharmacy profession. Everyone who works at chains dont get to see the reimbursements but those of us that work at independents do. Trust me, once we get rid of pbms and go back to the way we were compensated before, all of this problem will go away the next day.
Dream on.You live in fantasyland.

Pharmacy was very ****ed even before the advent of rent-seeker PBMs

Nothing will change until some blonde hair blue eyed perfect life teenager dies from a med error.

Nothing will change until some blonde hair blue eyed perfect life teenager dies from a med error.
Yeap. Natalie Holloway syndrome or Emily's Law up in Ohio. Perfect examples of the media or law falling in love with a particular story.

Short sleeve white coat with a long sleeve undershirt is how you lose all credibility as far as I'm concerned.
Yessss. Thank goodness I don't even wear a white coat now.
All my techs make 20 plus an hour and range 5 to 15 yr experience. I only work part time and have really thought about be full time tech closer to my family and not having a house that is already paid for and no rent.
You would be a tech if you had a paid off house? That's crazy talk. I would never be a tech after working as a pharmacist. I would much sooner jump ship to a completely different industry than ever work as a tech. And yeah, I have a paid off house.

I mean aren’t most of the worst parts of being a pharmacist even worse for the techs and also much lower pay?

I think someone has a case of green grass syndrome.

You are not gonna get a lot of sympathy when the average salary is 128,000.We have it tough.So what.You think we are the only profession with issues?

Based on what I've seen, the problems we are experiencing are symptoms of working for large corporations, regardless of profession.

Let's look at previous issues that were brought up and half baked solutions.

Problem: long shifts
Walgreens solution: 6-7 hour shifts where you work 6-7 days a week

Problem: no breaks
Walgreens solution: close the pharmacy for half hour. Except nothing else changes, so you need to do either work faster or find other ways to compensate for lost 30 minutes. Expectations are the same

Problem: lack of staffing and metrics
Solution? Pharmacist to tech ratios do not work. Metrics are hard to argue against.

As others have said, only way out is something god forbid bad happens....

Or break the damn duopoly. The antitrust laws need to be enforced better. Walgreens and CVS own 10,000+ stores. Let's be real. Walgreens and CVS control the market. There is no competition. They also control vertical integration part.

Pressure needs to be applied where there is some semblance of a free market.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Let's look at previous issues that were brought up and half baked solutions.

Problem: long shifts
Walgreens solution: 6-7 hour shifts where you work 6-7 days a week

Problem: no breaks
Walgreens solution: close the pharmacy for half hour. Except nothing else changes, so you need to do either work faster or find other ways to compensate for lost 30 minutes. Expectations are the same

Problem: lack of staffing and metrics
Solution? Pharmacist to tech ratios do not work. Metrics are hard to argue against.

As others have said, only way out is something god forbid bad happens....

Or break the damn duopoly. The antitrust laws need to be enforced better. Walgreens and CVS own 10,000+ stores. Let's be real. Walgreens and CVS control the market. There is no competition. They also control vertical integration part.

Pressure needs to be applied where there is some semblance of a free market.
There are more than 20,000 independent pharmacies. Their biggest threat is independent pharmacies. To combat vertical integration BS of PBMs a few pharmacists got together and created this, Insurance Solutions | Healthcare Partnership Organization | Exemplar Health. We shall see how this impacts the profession.

That's great and it will benefit you because you work for indi but how does it benefit thousands of pharmacists working for CVS and Walgreens? If anything, it might hurt their work conditions even more.

I completely disagree with this statement in the strongest way possible.

wage has nothing to do with this at all. It’s not about wether or not someone feels bad for me and my working conditions.

It has everything to do with this question: “do you want to feel safe and confident with the medication you are picking up from your pharmacy?”

That's great and it will benefit you because you work for indi but how does it benefit thousands of pharmacists working for CVS and Walgreens? If anything, it might hurt their work conditions even more.
Well, as i mentioned before, PBM reform is happening as we speak. It may take time to fully take effect but once done, pharmacy landscape may look much better.

Well, as i mentioned before, PBM reform is happening as we speak. It may take time to fully take effect but once done, pharmacy landscape may look much better.

I personally think that is a more optimistic view than what will happen in reality. In reality, IF PBMs were removed and reimbursements increased, CVS/Wags/etc already see the level of productivity they get out of minimal staffing. They will keep that staffing minimal to maximize profits. Nothing will go back to the way it was.

Reactions: 8 users
I personally think that is a more optimistic view than what will happen in reality. In reality, IF PBMs were removed and reimbursements increased, CVS/Wags/etc already see the level of productivity they get out of minimal staffing. They will keep that staffing minimal to maximize profits. Nothing will go back to the way it was.
True. The chain's business model isn't going to change. That means that their employees will leave for better place to work. At that point, other places, pharmacies that are run by people who care employees and patients, would've invested extra profit into the pharmacy. If PBMs are controlled or removed completely and profit is fairly distributed back to pharmacies, more and better opportunities will arise for pharmacists and chain will continue to lose good quality people.

True. The chain's business model isn't going to change. That means that their employees will leave for better place to work. At that point, other places, pharmacies that are run by people who care employees and patients, would've invested extra profit into the pharmacy. If PBMs are controlled or removed completely and profit is fairly distributed back to pharmacies, more and better opportunities will arise for pharmacists and chain will continue to lose good quality people.

This sounds good, but we also have automation and/or tech-check-tech to worry about...

Sadly, no one cares. This is America and that is the price to pay to get them Norcos, a pack of Nicorrette gum, and a jumbo Arizona Iced tea in 15 minutes or less.

The article is biased and written by those who gladly accepted their paycheck week after week.

Not everyone can handle chain pharmacy, not everyone can earn that 100k+ salary. Adapt or die. Sure customer service takes a hit, but so what if you have to wait? sometimes people have to wait. How many hours did you wait in line for those chipolte burritos without saying a damn word, only to bitch about having to wait an hour for your phentermine.

• Haha
Sadly, no one cares. This is America and that is the price to pay to get them Norcos, a pack of Nicorrette gum, and a jumbo Arizona Iced tea in 15 minutes or less.

The article is biased and written by those who gladly accepted their paycheck week after week.

Not everyone can handle chain pharmacy, not everyone can earn that 100k+ salary. Adapt or die. Sure customer service takes a hit, but so what if you have to wait? sometimes people have to wait. How many hours did you wait in line for those chipolte burritos without saying a damn word, only to bitch about having to wait an hour for your phentermine.
You confuse customer service with the fundamental function of getting a prescription correct . You blame shift by saying not everyone can handle retail. Even those with their nose up their supervisors butt and considered strong performers can't keep up with metrics. And that's the point to wring every ounce out of their employees. Some of the worst working conditions today and lawsuits of the future.

Based on what I've seen, the problems we are experiencing are symptoms of working for large corporations, regardless of profession.

A lot of large corporations treat their employees quite well in the tech industry.

Your average white collar worker isn’t on your feet for 12 hours a day with no bathroom breaks getting screamed at every 15 minutes. Also doesn’t need to take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years in school to obtain a doctorate degree.

Pharmacy is more of a blue collar profession in terms of work life balance, prestige, and pay.

A lot of large corporations treat their employees quite well in the tech industry.

Your average white collar worker isn’t on your feet for 12 hours a day with no bathroom breaks getting screamed at every 15 minutes. Also doesn’t need to take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years in school to obtain a doctorate degree.

Pharmacy is more of a blue collar profession in terms of work life balance, prestige, and pay.

The large corporations might treat them well if their skills are in high demand. Pharmacists used to be treated very well until the supply and demand balance shifted away from their favor, and the same could very well happen to them as well once everyone starts boarding the hype train around it. There are also plenty of stories of people in the tech industry where they are not being treated fairly as well, this guy talks about this issue a lot:

But to be fair, I'm not sure if he talks specifically about large corporations at any point.

Last edited:
At this point, you have to be in the low end of intelligence to become a pharmacist. Think about it. Youre in high school or college, wanting to pick a career that youll spend the rest of your life doing. With all these horrible conditions, you still decide to go to pharmacy school? Ive been pretty much ignoring or treating like theyre not pharmacists if they graduated after 2018 lol.

Reactions: 4 users