Morphine sulfate shortage???Oh Noo.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxforlife2004

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wonder how are you guys at other facilities coping with IV/IM morphine sulfate shortage right now? This is totally crazy ....!It's like u open a bakery and one day they tell u they have bread and butter...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have plenty of morphine. Our generic MS Contin 15/30 did just change manufacturers, though.
We are getting some headaches over the oxycontin formulation change.

Members don't see this ad :)
just wonder how are you guys at other facilities coping with morphine sulfate shortage right now? This is totally crazy ....!It's like u open a bakery and one day they tell u they have bread and butter...

Wow, really? That's sad. Is your director going push through a temporary therapeutic substitution protocol and just happy-drug the patients with one of the other opioids amongst the spectrum of possibilities?

I have plenty of morphine. Our generic MS Contin 15/30 did just change manufacturers, though.
We are getting some headaches over the oxycontin formulation change.

I should have been clearer
about this...It's about morphine IV/IM, not oral (po)....that is being shorted now.

Last edited:
Also back ordered are Succs and Fentanyl.

One time I went to Taco Bell and they were out of beans.

haha3-1.gif

Time to bring back Demerol, I guess. :scared:

Hospira can kiss my *** right about now with all of their shortages.

One of the old doc called down pharmacy today and wanted to talk to my pharmacy direction about this. In brief message, he screamed at the direction and said, "I want morphine available by Friday or i'll bring my patients else where".

Hydromorphone?

What if the patient is ordered a small dose like Morphine 1mg qwhatever. What is that, that 0.15mg of hydromorphone thereabouts? And those come in the 1mg/ml caverjects...could you imagine a nurse trying to inject 0.15mL with those things.

What if the patient is ordered a small dose like Morphine 1mg qwhatever. What is that, that 0.15mg of hydromorphone thereabouts? And those come in the 1mg/ml caverjects...could you imagine a nurse trying to inject 0.15mL with those things.

Intrapenile hydromorphone sounds like a blast.

You mean carpujects?

we actually use demerol in some chemo protocols.

It's also used in post-op open heart patients, for shivering, and as an ampho B premed. Once in a while, a patients does come along who really genuinely needs it.

My first pharmacist job, back in the mid 1990s, was at a mail order facility, and we had a pharmacist who had a desk job and was about 95% bald, and his head would turn red every time he heard the word "Caverject." People would walk by his cubicle and say "Caverject" just to watch his head turn red, and it never stopped being funny.

One day, an employee on maternity leave brought in her new baby, and someone said, "Bet you can't wait for your daughters to bring home one of those!" :eek: His daughters were 14 and 15 at the time, and he said, "My daughters will never get pregnant!"

(famous last words, right?)

I told him, "Oh, that's not true. Someday, you'll want your daughters to get pregnant!" You should have seen the look on his face - he really couldn't wrap his head around that. I pointed out that his daughters would eventually be adults, finished with school, married, etc. and he would have to bite his tongue every time he saw them because it's just not good manners to ask your kids when they're going to give you grandchildren.

"And what if they're pregnant at the same time, and they get out the tape measure and see who has the biggest stomach......"

I was back in that city a few weeks ago and saw the engagement announcement for one of his daughters in the newspaper. She's now a physical therapist.

:love: