Why is Morphine not popular?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrish

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It’s 1:1 equivalent with Hydrocodone. Doesn’t have the same euphoric effect of Oxycodone. Morphine IR for acute relief and ER for around the clock relief should be lot more common than it is.

Yet, I rarely see a Morphine script. Shouldn’t it be preferred over Oxycodone or Hydromorphone ?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe because patients think I dont want the morphine, cause that is what Aunt Eunice was given when she was on hospice. I want that Norco Uncle Melvin got for his hip replacement.

lmao the title of this thread really had me in the first half

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't you heard that Camila Cabello song?

Just like nicotine, heroin, morphine
Suddenly, I'm a fiend and you're all I need
All I need
Yeah, you're all I need

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
It’s 1:1 equivalent with Hydrocodone. Doesn’t have the same euphoric effect of Oxycodone. Morphine IR for acute relief and ER for around the clock relief should be lot more common than it is.

Yet, I rarely see a Morphine script. Shouldn’t it be preferred over Oxycodone or Hydromorphone ?

We’ve started using more at discharge.

Reactions: 1 user
Morphine I believe is worse about flushing and itching.
that would be a H1or histamine allergy or pseudo allergy. morphine and morphine like opioids can cause this. in my previous job in hospital, morphine order sets were pushed through and verified despite the itching. if it is anaphylaxis with signs of shortness of breath, then its a issue.

that would be a H1or histamine allergy or pseudo allergy. morphine and morphine like opioids can cause this. in my previous job in hospital, morphine order sets were pushed through and verified despite the itching. if it is anaphylaxis with signs of shortness of breath, then its a issue.
it is- but that doesn't mean patients don't experience it and have complaints about it.

and for previous comments
it isn't 1:1 with dialudid
In the hospital we use morphine more often as our go to especially bc of the seemingly higher addiction potential of dialudid. But for short term therapy (ED, ICU) I like fentanyl better

Reactions: 1 users
Also it should start on the skin near where the drug entered the body. I.e. IV in right arm and there's only a rash and itching in that arm?