Micro and pharm coming up - sketchy, lecture, or both?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrRiker

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, we have micro and pharm coming up shortly. My plan is to use sketchy and Zanki/lolnotacop/pepper for both. The question is, in a pass/fail curriculum, do these resources teach well enough to replace lecture? Or should these be used in addition to lecture notes? With no real sketchy familiarity, I'm trying to come up with the best and most efficient plan of attack for long-term memory in addition to passing class.

Members don't see this ad.

I think Sketchy is more of a mnemonic tool than a deep learning tool. Just my 2c.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, we have micro and pharm coming up shortly. My plan is to use sketchy and Zanki/lolnotacop/pepper for both. The question is, in a pass/fail curriculum, do these resources teach well enough to replace lecture? Or should these be used in addition to lecture notes? With no real sketchy familiarity, I'm trying to come up with the best and most efficient plan of attack for long-term memory in addition to passing class.
My good students use multiple resources, no matter what the subject. My students also swear by sketchy, even if it's all in hieroglyphics, according to my Microbiology colleagues.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My good students use multiple resources, no matter what the subject. My students also swear by sketchy, even if it's all in hieroglyphics, according to my Microbiology colleagues.
Sounds good to me, thanks! It makes sense that sketchy would be more useful as a memorization aid than a primary resource, otherwise it would be overkill for step.

Sketchy is absolutely all you need. Watch lectures once on 2x speed for details that sketchy didn't cover, but do yourself a huge favor and master sketchy as you cover the stuff in class

Reactions: 4 users
Sketchy micro/pharm with the associated lolnotacop or pepper decks is more than enough to know pharm and micro for class and boards. Dont use too many resources. Pick a few and know them in and out. I dont recommend using a lot of different resources its not a good approach. FAPS with BnB and another Qbank is good enough and then add UWorld spring of M2. Know it cold

Last edited:
Careful, some micro professors hate sketchy. Mine actively went out of their way to test stuff not stressed by Sketchy...so the strategy was to master Sketchy, then see what WASNT in the video but WAS in the lecture and focus on that for exams. It was honestly ridiculous.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Careful, some micro professors hate sketchy. Mine actively went out of their way to test stuff not stressed by Sketchy...so the strategy was to master Sketchy, then see what WASNT in the video but WAS in the lecture and focus on that for exams. It was honestly ridiculous.
So you're telling me professors will go out of their way to test on low yield ****?

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

So you're telling me professors will go out of their way to test on low yield ****?

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Oh yeah, it’s all about learning the professor’s personality. Did his voice just go up? Is he suddenly getting all excited? Did his pupils dilate? Know what he just said! High yield for the exam~ I don’t care what he’s talking about :dead:

Lolnotacop is all you need. Complete it + qbanks and you'll do great on step 1 micro questions and NBME exams. If your tests are lecture specific, cram the stuff not covered in the deck before the exams, of course. Just don't expect it to show up on step 1.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to keep this in mind when I get there.

• Haha
Sketchy micro alone is enough for every single question on step1.

But there’s a lot of presentations of those bugs and a lot of bugs that are commonplace but not in sketchy that will show up on comlex for you DO students reading this. So I’d recommend combining it with the micro from FA. Supposedly chapter 8 (I think) of Robbins will get you every bit of minutiae possible, but I didn’t bother with it.

The anki decks over sketchy micro/pharm are absolutely wonderful. I’d bet that sketchy probably has a lot more to do with step1 creep than anything else.

Reactions: 1 users
I failed my cumulative for Pharm at the end of second year using only in house lectures, switched to sketchy and ingrained it into my brain in 2 weeks went from a 50% to destroying the pharm shelf and did fairly well on that part of Step. If I could change one thing about med school it'd be using external resources (pathoma, sketchy, etc.) first, and then supplementing w/ low yield garbage that my profs. liked to test from their lectures. 100% do sketchy until you see it in your sleep and then fill in the cracks with your profs. weird trash. As a fourth year, practically all I remember about pharm is from picturing the images in my head.

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly the best micro resource for me was Robbins + micro.

If you Like textbooks Robbins has a really good ID section.