Sketchy Micro or Pharm over Summer (Step 1 P/F)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeedSomeAdviceGuy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, Step 1 is going P/F so getting a leg up on Step 1 isn't necessarily the move BUT it can make M2 a lot easier, which gives me far more time for my ECs and doing other stuff I love.

I just got accepted for a job I applied for that's going to have lots of downtime midday. I'm mainly going to use this downtime to read books, but I like to switch things up so was thinking of either tackling Sketchy Micro or Sketchy Pharm. Which do you think is most useful? Which subject gave you the harder time during M2 and do you think would give me the best leg up if I start early?

Path is off the list because I actually enjoy path, and rather use the summer downtime for stuff that is more purely rote memorization.

EDIT: Traditional curriculum, so M2 for us is all of Micro, Pharm, and Path.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say micro, just because the facts necessary to fully understand the whole picture of a pathogen may seem arbitrary sometimes, yet highly crucial to understand (e.g. diplococci nature of gonorrhea or the various presentations of falciparum or which fungi are dimorphic). While the same can be said for pharm, as in you have to associate a seemingly random drug name to its uses, side effects, and contraindications, for me at least, that is much easier than studying pathogens. But really, I can't say this is the golden rule, it's just my observation.

Reactions: 1 users
I would say micro, just because the facts necessary to fully understand the whole picture of a pathogen may seem arbitrary sometimes, yet highly crucial to understand (e.g. diplococci nature of gonorrhea or the various presentations of falciparum or which fungi are dimorphic). While the same can be said for pharm, as in you have to associate a seemingly random drug name to its uses, side effects, and contraindications, for me at least, that is much easier than studying pathogens. But really, I can't say this is the golden rule, it's just my observation.

I'd do both Micro & Pharm. Each sketch will have ~30 cards. I'd unsuspend the 10 most important ones and move on

As said above - for micro focus on demographics, characteristics (gram stain & shape), any key buzz words (ex. Erythematous base = HSV) but don't have to get into the weeds on mechanisms like SNARE proteins.

For pharm focus on drug name, the pathology it helps treat, receptor it binds, and adverse effects. These will show up time and time again, going into clinics.

Thanks guys! Will definitely incorporate yalls advice. I'll start off with Micro and then dive into Pharm.

I assume that's about 45hrs of videos (but who watches at 1x speed am I right), and somewhere like 5-8k cards. Definitely manageable over 10 weeks.

Reactions: 1 user