MFM - Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ObGyn.MFM

Reaction score
As an ObGyn PGY2 resident, I am an international medical graduate (IMG) with no need for visa sponsorship. My passion for Maternal-Fetal Medicine (MFM) is immense, and I am fully committed to pursuing it. I am eager to know what MFM programs prioritize in their applicants and how many programs MFM fellows typically apply to.

Could you please provide insights into the key factors MFM programs consider when evaluating applicants? Additionally, I would like to know the average number of programs MFM fellows apply to.

Despite having strong USMLE scores and over three years of research experience in ObGyn with a focus on MFM, along with more than 10 publications, numerous presentations, and various certificates, I am concerned about the significance of networking in the MFM fellowship application process. I am feeling anxious about my application and unsure of what else I can do to strengthen it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

As an ObGyn PGY2 resident, I am an international medical graduate (IMG) with no need for visa sponsorship. My passion for Maternal-Fetal Medicine (MFM) is immense, and I am fully committed to pursuing it. I am eager to know what MFM programs prioritize in their applicants and how many programs MFM fellows typically apply to.

Could you please provide insights into the key factors MFM programs consider when evaluating applicants? Additionally, I would like to know the average number of programs MFM fellows apply to.

Despite having strong USMLE scores and over three years of research experience in ObGyn with a focus on MFM, along with more than 10 publications, numerous presentations, and various certificates, I am concerned about the significance of networking in the MFM fellowship application process. I am feeling anxious about my application and unsure of what else I can do to strengthen it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Are you at an academic or community program?

MFM is typically more accepting of residents from community programs compared to REI or GYN ONC. Plus there are a lot more MFM fellowships out there.

The journey is easier from an academic program.

Letters of recommendation and connections play a role since the sub specialty community is smaller.

Touch base with your mentors.

You can also get a sense of your chances based on residents from your programs prior match success.

But there are several studies looking at characteristics of successful applicants. Takes like 5 minutes to look this up:

Reactions: 1 user
Are you at an academic or community program?

MFM is typically more accepting of residents from community programs compared to REI or GYN ONC. Plus there are a lot more MFM fellowships out there.

The journey is easier from an academic program.

Letters of recommendation and connections play a role since the sub specialty community is smaller.

Touch base with your mentors.

You can also get a sense of your chances based on residents from your programs prior match success.

But there are several studies looking at characteristics of successful applicants. Takes like 5 minutes to look this up:

Thank you very much for your thorough response and the helpful links; they were quite surprising and informative!

Regarding your question about the competitiveness of ObGyn residency for IMGs, I can certainly relate. It's a tough field, with a preference for USMGs. In my case, I found it necessary to complete a three-year Postdoc fellowship in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at a reputable university in the state. This provided me with valuable research experience, numerous publications, and strong letters of recommendation from the university. Combined with three years of residency in my home country, I was finally able to secure a spot in a community-based ObGyn residency program.

I can assure you, it wasn't an easy journey. Simply having high USMLE scores doesn't hold much weight for IMGs. It's akin to an IMG being accepted into Orthopedic Surgery or Ophthalmology – quite a challenge! That's why I'm particularly anxious about pursuing a Maternal-Fetal Medicine (MFM) Fellowship. Although I've seen that many IMGs have been accepted into MFM programs, it still feels like a daunting prospect. However, I believe my blend of community and academic experience, coupled with ongoing research and publications with my mentor during residency, will bolster my application.

I was surprised to learn from these articles that MFM Fellowship is considered the least competitive. I couldn't quite understand why, but perhaps it's because there are more MFM fellowship programs available, or maybe ObGyn physicians tend to pursue other subspecialties like Oncology or Reproductive Endocrinology....etc

Another challenge I face is my lack of networking. Unlike how I secured my ObGyn residency, I solely rely on my CV. This adds to my apprehension about the process, as I'm keen on entering the field of MFM – it's been my primary motivation since the beginning, evident from my pre-residency publications focusing on MFM-related topics.

You might think I'm exaggerating, but my passion for MFM is genuine, driven by personal reasons that have guided my career choices.

Once again, I appreciate your engagement and response.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are many instances of prospective fellows practicing for a few years while completing research and then applying for fellowships 1-2 years out of residency. It's not ideal but definitely a path if you need research (which based on your CV you likely don't). Fellowships across the board are very interested in your research output during residency (which can predict your research output during fellowship) so I would reach out to a faculty mentor who is familiar with publishing so you can get papers out.

There are many instances of prospective fellows practicing for a few years while completing research and then applying for fellowships 1-2 years out of residency. It's not ideal but definitely a path if you need research (which based on your CV you likely don't). Fellowships across the board are very interested in your research output during residency (which can predict your research output during fellowship) so I would reach out to a faculty mentor who is familiar with publishing so you can get papers out.
I didn't understand this part [
which based on your CV you likely don't
So, does that mean I don't need to worry about it because of my previous experience? or they will not consider my previous research experience!?

I didn't understand this part [

So, does that mean I don't need to worry about it because of my previous experience? or they will not consider my previous research experience!?
As in your CV has good research pedigree already. But many fellowships care more about research you do as a resident rather than pre-residency, even if it’s in the relevant field. Still, having that MFM research in general will help and make it so you will most likely be able to go into fellowship right out of residency.

But I am already continuing my research and publishing many articles each year and never stopped!
What do you think I can do more than that?
Any advice?