MD/PhDs, is an experimental inactivated SARS-CoV2 vaccine feasible now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted915203

Physician scientists, I couldn't find a quality discussion about SARS-CoV2 virus on SDN - so I came here.

A Wuhan virus pandemic is now seen as inevitable. Thus, the virus is expected to kill many Americans. The only possible solution seems to be a vaccine (if developed very quickly).

We have effective inactivated (killed) influenza vaccines.

So, can we make an inactivated Wuhan virus vaccine (experimental) and start administering it to high-risk patient populations now?

Under normal circumstances (non-pandemic), the vaccine should be tested for safety. But, we don't have much time before America is hit hard. I would be willing to get an experimental inactivated Wuhan virus vaccine. As physician-scientists could you explain if such an approach is useful /feasible?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Physician scientists, I couldn't find a quality discussion about SARS-CoV2 virus on SDN - so I came here.

A Wuhan virus pandemic is now seen as inevitable. Thus, the virus is expected to kill many Americans. The only possible solution seems to be a vaccine (if developed very quickly).

We have effective inactivated (killed) influenza vaccines.

So, can we make an inactivated Wuhan virus vaccine (experimental) and start administering it to high-risk patient populations now?

Under normal circumstances (non-pandemic), the vaccine should be tested for safety. But, we don't have much time before America is hit hard. I would be willing to get an experimental inactivated Wuhan virus vaccine. As physician-scientists could you explain if such an approach is useful /feasible?

Thank you.
That’s essentially what mRNA vaccines are, except you use your own ribosomes to mass produce the antigens.

Also, I’m not sure the influenza vaccine is a good example of an effective vaccine, just FYI.

That’s essentially what mRNA vaccines are, except you use your own ribosomes to mass produce the antigens.

Also, I’m not sure the influenza vaccine is a good example of an effective vaccine, just FYI.

I worry that nucleic acid vaccines (DNA and mRNA) are not yet proven. I am not aware of an FDA-approved nucleic acid vaccine for humans. Thus, I feel it would be very challenging to develop a nucleic acid vaccine in a rush for Wuhan virus.

I would be impressed if a vaccine for Wuhan virus was as effective as flu vaccine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I worry that nucleic acid vaccines (DNA and mRNA) are not yet proven. I am not aware of an FDA-approved nucleic acid vaccine for humans. Thus, I feel it would be very challenging to develop a nucleic acid vaccine in a rush for Wuhan virus.

I would be impressed if a vaccine for Wuhan virus was as effective as flu vaccine.
It’s already being tested.
Whether it’ll be effective, I guess we’ll find out.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s already being tested.
Whether it’ll be effective, I guess we’ll find out.

CNN says that the testing and approval of the experimental mRNA vaccine will take at least 1 year! That is way too long.