Matching a Speciatly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FCIllini

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question. If a dental student got in without a bachelor's degree, will this in any way affect their application if they choose to specialize? If I had to guess, it seems most speciatly programs would just look at your dental school grades, board scores, etc.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

FCIllini said:
Quick question. If a dental student got in without a bachelor's degree, will this in any way affect their application if they choose to specialize? If I had to guess, it seems most speciatly programs would just look at your dental school grades, board scores, etc.

Thanks.
I have previously emailed many schools for their opinion on this.
The answer is that, if you want to go to a top program, perhaps you should have an undergraduate degree, but for others, it's fine.

FCIllini said:

Thanks.

As for specializing after dental school, to do a 6 year OMFS program, probably gonna need a bachelors. Otherwise no limitations....

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have a bachelor's degree. Applying only 6 year omfs. I got 14 out of 16 interviews at all the big names. Just do well in dental school.

UNLV OMS WANABE said:
I don't have a bachelor's degree. Applying only 6 year omfs. I got 14 out of 16 interviews at all the big names. Just do well in dental school.

I stand corrected...

UNLV OMS WANABE said:
So 2/16 require a bachelors degree....? :D

sorry, wrong thread

UNLV OMS WANABE said:

Really........I would have thought you had a solid B.S. :smuggrin:

FCIllini said:

Thanks.

I'm no expert on this, but I do remenber looking at Iowa or Minnesota, somewhere like that and it said that you need a bachelors because you have to meet the requirements for the graduate school and your are awarded a Masters degree with the certificate. Not sure what specialty though.

DIRTIE said:
I'm no expert on this, but I do remenber looking at Iowa or Minnesota, somewhere like that and it said that you need a bachelors because you have to meet the requirements for the graduate school and your are awarded a Masters degree with the certificate. Not sure what specialty though.

That could be for Ortho....

DIRTIE said:

I think that is Iowa OMFS. Imagine that, a 4 year program with higher standard than a 6.... what will they think of next.

OMFSCardsFan said:
All five feet three inches of you...

5 foot three and three quarters inches....on my skateboard

esclavo said:
5 foot three and three quarters inches....on my skateboard

He neglected to mention its a pink skateboard.

toofache32 said:
Its amazing how u have pictures of all of us... that's Esclavo's wife on the way to pic up the kids!

Bifid Uvula said:
Its amazing how u have pictures of all of us... that's Esclavo's wife on the way to pic up the kids!
She wears a push-up bra?

toofache32 said:

Very generous of you to part with one of your vast doll collection. Does kind of look like my wife though...my pink skate board is a little shinier after Uvula waxed it for me... I've got to give him something to do on his weekends off after he's done mowing my lawn and pruning the shrubs

toofache32 said:

Yaaaaaaah, that's more like it....Bad mutha!! Bring it on!!!!! Is my nose running in this picture or am I just teething?

Yah-E said:
That could be for Ortho....

Yeah, some grad programs (speaking just for ortho) do require a bachelors. That said, even more do request your undergrad transcripts.