Marx's Oral Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WestCoast

OMFS
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about this book? Is this book worth getting? What Path book do you OMFS residents like to use for oral path?

Members don't see this ad.

WestCoast said:
What do you guys think about this book? Is this book worth getting? What Path book do you OMFS residents like to use for oral path?

It is very big and very expensive. I think it is also very good, but some might differ just because they dont like the way marx does things.

While it is a good book for oral path, i think the "gold standard" for oral path is probably Neville and Damms oral path. It's only like 150$ and very widely accepted.

north2southOMFS said:
It is very big and very expensive. I think it is also very good, but some might differ just because they dont like the way marx does things.

While it is a good book for oral path, i think the "gold standard" for oral path is probably Neville and Damms oral path. It's only like 150$ and very widely accepted.
I have Neville and Damm, Marx, Barnes (Surgical Pathology of the Head and Neck, three volumes), and two atlases. I like each for different reasons. I'm most familiar with Neville and Damm. Marx has good picture with lots of experience. Barnes had detail, and every known disease. Obviously, atlases are good for pictures.

Another good book is Smith's Recognizable Patterns of Human Malformation.

Honestly, I don't read about path very much. I read about other things more.

Members don't see this ad :)
north2southOMFS said:

Your avatar reminds me of a very funny and totally irrelivent to this thread comment. I have a friend that lives in Preston, ID where the movie was filmed. They are now having an "annual Napoleon Dynamite festival" and invited all the actors to come. Everyone send their regards except Pedro. He said that he could only come if they provided him with 2 body guards. :laugh:

If you can get your hands on it, Shafer, Hine, and Levy is actually the "Gold Standard" as all the big names today in oral path were trained by shafer.

"A textbook of oral pathology" No surg stuff like Marx, but the info you need to know regarding prognosis, needed tx...ect

Jawfixer said:
If you can get your hands on it, Shafer, Hine, and Levy is actually the "Gold Standard" as all the big names today in oral path were trained by shafer.

"A textbook of oral pathology" No surg stuff like Marx, but the info you need to know regarding prognosis, needed tx...ect

What year are you living in? I disagree about your version of the "gold standard."

That book was written in 1983. I know the info in it is valid and mostly likely still correct, but they have added to the Oral pathology knowledge base of 1983, i don't think you could disagree with that, plus all the books above have very nice color images of lesions which i believe are much better than a black and white version. Unless that book has a newer revised edition I don't know about and can't find on any book sellers website, i disagree about the gold standard statement. If there is a never version, then i apologize because i've never seen it.

I think most dental schools use either neville and damm or sapp and eversol. I think most residents use neville and damm or marx.

On the other hand, it is available for only $6.00 at amazon.com

Most students and residents use neville and damm b/c they know nothing else. Their path instructors tell them to get it so they do. Fact is, most dent schools do not teach oral path as in depth as it should be taught and most residents are weak in this subject; I am not saying you are weak, just most residents.

Sure there have been updates, but discounting the knowledge in this book would be the same as saying Hollinshead is too old.

Just b/c someone put some nice pics and colors in a book doesn't mean it is better. I have read them all cover-to-cover and even wrote an oral path book during dental school; from my experience SHL is handsdown the best for general oral path. As I said before, it is not a surgical text and if you are looking for one of these, check out ENTs selection before jumping into Marx.

Jawfixer said:
Just b/c someone put some nice pics and colors in a book doesn't mean it is better..

No, its more that stuff called histochemical markers and staining i was thinking made it better. Oh and that new invention called the scanning electron microscope. You know, those new things. Oh and maybe it is a little of those nice color pictures which actually look like the real thing unless your a color blind dentist.

Jawfixer said:
I have read them all cover-to-cover and even wrote an oral path book during dental school;.

Yah, whatever chief. Now i question your credibility.

Jawfixer said:
check out ENTs selection before jumping into Marx.

I do agree with this though. ENT has some excellent texts.