Married Army Couples Program (MACP) co-location during Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbog

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m a second year medical student in Army HPSP. My fiancé is an active duty non-medical officer in the Army, and we are trying to figure out when we might become eligible for co-location through MACP after we get married.

According to MACP regulations, it looks like joint domicile isn’t an option when one of the spouses is stationed at a “PCS-length school”. Does residency count as a PCS-length school, and thus make us ineligible for MACP joint domicile during my residency?

Has anyone heard of dual-mil couples (one medical, one non-medical) having success co-locating during residency?

I’ve dug through old posts here but I couldn’t find a solid answer. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I’m a second year medical student in Army HPSP. My fiancé is an active duty non-medical officer in the Army, and we are trying to figure out when we might become eligible for co-location through MACP after we get married.

According to MACP regulations, it looks like joint domicile isn’t an option when one of the spouses is stationed at a “PCS-length school”. Does residency count as a PCS-length school, and thus make us ineligible for MACP joint domicile during my residency?

Has anyone heard of dual-mil couples (one medical, one non-medical) having success co-locating during residency?

I’ve dug through old posts here but I couldn’t find a solid answer. Thanks for your help!
Residency is a PCS length school. Use the 'personal statement' or additional information option to communicate with the board and your consultant/assignments officer when you are applying to residency. The instructions will identify how you are expected to communicate. Your spouse should also work with their assignments officer to be assigned to locations that have medical residencies and their AOC. Officially you aren't eligible for MACP, but they will work with you if you are a good candidate. Make yourself competitive for residency - use your ADT's and non ADTs effectively. I know some that have made it work.

Think JBSA, Ft Bliss, Ft Gordon (Eisenhower) if spouse is signal, Hawaii, JBLM, even Ft Hood for EM and FM or Ft Bragg for FM and OBGYN. Even 'Walter Reed' works for a resident with a spouse in MI at Ft Belvoir.