ACFT score on Army Residency app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I'm currently a first year that is going HPSP route, doing DCC/BLOC this summer. Excited about military residencies and looking to become as competitive as possible.

I'm a pretty fit guy with an athlete background. Testing out the events I'm at (or really close) to 100's in 4/6 events. Figured I could push myself to get my mile times down and plank times up.

Basically I'm asking is it worth the extra time/effort to have a really good score. Could a stand-out score be something I could put on my CV for military residency or will that get me laughed at by a reviewer?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a first year that is going HPSP route, doing DCC/BLOC this summer. Excited about military residencies and looking to become as competitive as possible.

I'm a pretty fit guy with an athlete background. Testing out the events I'm at (or really close) to 100's in 4/6 events. Figured I could push myself to get my mile times down and plank times up.

Basically I'm asking is it worth the extra time/effort to have a really good score. Could a stand-out score be something I could put on my CV for military residency or will that get me laughed at by a reviewer?

Even as a regular medical service corps officer, no really cared about the score as long as you passed. A residency would probably care even less, but I'll let the military docs further comment if maybe I wrong (which I doubt).

Reactions: 1 user
It certainly won’t hurt and could possibly help. I don’t think there is anyway to objectively know if the time at the gym would be worth it on match day.
If the PD is a fitness freak, I’m sure it helps to some degree. Also picking fit dudes mean PT failures are one less thing for a PD to worry about. But 550 vs 570 score? Meh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't really matter, as long as you don't fail.

Program directors care about getting residents who'll pass their boards, who'll get the work done, who'll be reasonably pleasant to work with for several years, and who won't be a source of drama / extra paperwork. I'd even go so far as to say most PDs, in general, quietly resent having to give even lip service to any of that military stuff when selecting residents. They're educators looking to graduate good doctors and to be bluntly honest lists of military/extracurricular accomplishments don't correlate with board pass rates.

Fitness scores might matter a little bit to you - many commands will reward high fitness scores with a day of special liberty. So you might earn a pair of 3-day weekends each year. I think my last command gave out a 96 (4-day weekend) for outstanding or maxed out scores, and a 72 for an excellent.

Be fit because you'll live longer and feel better, not because the military will reward you for it. :)

I mean put it on there if you think it's a great attribute for an application, but me personally I couldn't care less what someone scores on the ACFT. All I care about is:
1. Can the person do the job they are being paid to do and work as a team? If not I don't want them
2. Is this person going to be able to at least pass their required fitness test each year
3. Will they be able to meet all their metrics so I don't have to waste my time sitting on phone calls with my boss asking why my soldiers aren't green on all their metrics

Reactions: 1 user
I know this has been answered in forums about ROTC, but I couldn't find anything for West Point. When the class of 2024 reports for BCT, will we have to take the APFT or ACFT?
This thread is reference physicians with a commitment to the Army for medical Residency training. Your question can be answered on the Service Academy Forum Look in the Military Academy USMA discussion. Edit: Search for the Current Plebe - AMA post and ask your question there. Good luck. Neither are hard to pass but the ACFT is difficult to max.