Malpractice insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentite24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for malpractice insurance for recently trained AEGD dentist? What kind of coverage? Best company to go through?
If I work at an office that provides malpractice insurance is it wise/necessary to still have my own? What kind of coverages is sufficient? Sorry I’m a little unfamiliar with malpractice insurance.. Is it similar to disability insurance with its complexity?

Members don't see this ad.

Get your own policy unless you’re covered by the government.

When I was with a corporation they provided a claims made policy - 1M/3M. I had to buy tail when I left from the company they used and guess what…the tail expired in 2 years. It was like $500-600 for 2 years worth of tail which is stupid because you need the tail to not expire. Total scam. I had a claim too and would have been screwed if it wasn’t for my own policy.

Your best bet is to buy an occurrence policy for 1M/3M if you do bread and butter. If you’re doing surgery, get 2M in coverage per claim.

Reactions: 1 user
Get your own policy unless you’re covered by the government.

When I was with a corporation they provided a claims made policy - 1M/3M. I had to buy tail when I left from the company they used and guess what…the tail expired in 2 years. It was like $500-600 for 2 years worth of tail which is stupid because you need the tail to not expire. Total scam. I had a claim too and would have been screwed if it wasn’t for my own policy.

Your best bet is to buy an occurrence policy for 1M/3M if you do bread and butter. If you’re doing surgery, get 2M in coverage per claim.

Noted! Thanks! What company would you recommend?

Members don't see this ad :)
Noted! Thanks! What company would you recommend?
Jump on Dental Town and ask around there. Dentist Advantage if you’re an AGD member is good and they sell occurance policies (no tail needed). TDIC only offers claims made. Tail coverage is usually 1-2x annual premium if you need to purchase it.

You’d purchase tail coverage if you where to leave a job that requires proof of tail or if you change insurance companies and the new one won’t assume tail.