M1 seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acetabulous

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all of you who have already reached the promised land (i.e. matching/practicing in ENT). I recently decided that this is the specialty for me, and I was hoping that someone could impart some wisdom. I am fully cognizant of the fact that grades and board scores are most important, but I was really hoping to get some advice that is a bit more specialty-specific. Anything regarding away rotations, LORs, research, ECs, etc. that would give me a better chance of matching would be greatly appreciated. One of the reasons I ask is because I have never excelled on standardized tests. The other areas of my apps for college/med school were stellar, but the test scores were ehhhhhh. What is the best way to compensate for this deficiency, IF it does occur (haven't taken step 1 yet). Thanks!

PS. I realize that it is kind of early in the game, but it never hurts to take a pre-emptive approach.

Members don't see this ad.

For your first 2 years of med school:

1) Learn as much as you can.
2) Do well on your exams.
3) Realize that Step 1 is coming, and study for the exam at the same time that you are doing your preclinical stuff.
4) Do NOT get involved in med school counsels, interest groups, community activities, etc if you know you have a weakness - these only add minimally to your application and WILL NOT make up for a poor Step 1 score. Instead, focus that 10 hours a week towards either research or Step 1 study.
5) Get involved in CLINICAL research early. It is far easier to get a paper after 18 months in your MS I - Ii years vs 3 months in your MS IV year.
6) Work hard and be nice to everyone. If you feel one of your classmates is taking advantage of you - guess what.... It happened to us, too - and we can see it a mile away. Just do your thing, we'll take care of the other person.
7) If at the beginning of your MS IV year, when you are still applying for ENT - and you have followed the above advice... Ask us again, and we'll help guide you with other options.

Leforte

Leforte, thank you very much for the helpful response. Regarding research, I have done basic science research in the past (poster, published abstract, two manuscript submissions with no pubs) and will be doing surgery research this summer. I would love to get involved in some clinical research but am not sure how to go about doing so. Should I contact my school's ENT department and ask about opportunities for med students? Or is that something that has to be done when I am not in classes (i.e. summer)? Sorry, I don't know a ton about clinical research...

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow... LeFort... Coming out of the woodwork go give more excellent advice. Did you just remember your password or something? :)

Seems like you've been MIA for a while....

Sent via Tapatalk.

Yep - I'm still around - just hiding on the sidelines. :)

To the OP - Stay away from bench research unless you have a particular interest in it. You can spent a year in a lab full time and not get your name on a paper. For clinical projects - there are a few ways to get started:
1) If the department has a research coordinator - go there first.
2) Talk to the residents who are either getting ready to go their research rotations or those currently in. They will have a project nearly ready to go, and you may be able to get lucky and get on with one.
3) Talk to matched 4th year students about which faculty they felt were approachable and who had research interests which may need someone to go through charts/collect data/etc.