ENT related studying for an M1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

navidoo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am just about to start my second month of med school. Feeling overwhelmed but I'm definitely managing.

I've been interested in ENT since my junior year of college. To my understanding, having a solid understanding of the anatomy and pathophysiology of the ENT region is crucial for ENT sub I's. It is also my understanding that the medical school curriculum may not dedicate much time to the details that are expected of a rotating medical student. What general advice do you have for someone in my position? Additionally, I am genuinely interested in learning more and have heard good things about ENT Secrets and Pasha's ENT books. Do you think these resources are advisable for an M1?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah that book. And also: do well in med school. Med school doesn’t care if you like the head and neck. If you fall behind in your general learning because you’re focused on ENT, you’ll shoot yourself in the foot. Take time to look at other specialties. Most people change their mind with regards to what they want to do. You don’t do yourself any favors by missing something you might love because you’ve narrowed yourself to one path. And if, in the end, you like ENT, it’ll be there for you. I hope, anyway, I plan to still be doing it.
No one expects a med student to be an expert on head and neck anatomy and physiology. Know the basics when you do your sub-I.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah that book. And also: do well in med school. Med school doesn’t care if you like the head and neck. If you fall behind in your general learning because you’re focused on ENT, you’ll shoot yourself in the foot. Take time to look at other specialties. Most people change their mind with regards to what they want to do. You don’t do yourself any favors by missing something you might love because you’ve narrowed yourself to one path. And if, in the end, you like ENT, it’ll be there for you. I hope, anyway, I plan to still be doing it.
No one expects a med student to be an expert on head and neck anatomy and physiology. Know the basics when you do your sub-I.
I completely agree with you. Everyone tells me to keep an open mind, and I do try to do that. Whatever I like, I'll read up more on it. At the same time it is difficult because ENT is indeed competitive, so if I can, I'll try to prepare for it as early as I can. But you're right, med school, step 1, and step 2, all of which build on top of each other, come first. Thank you for the advice.