m1/m2 summer experiences for radiation oncology- which is best?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

what summer experience would be the most valuable for radiation oncology?

• Basic science research

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • clinical research

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • any kind of research

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • externship/ preceptorship/ other clinical experience

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • any of the above show a strong interest in radiation oncology and would help my application

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MSV MD 2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied to a variety of programs for next summer. these include opportunities for basica sciences research, clinical research, preceptorships and externships. using the poll, please tell me which would be most beneficial, assuming i have a choice. comments are welcome.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

any research but make it relevant. If you do clinical, try to get more papers out. If you do basic, for the love of all things good, get your name on it and don't merely be a lab tech who gets no gredit.

okay i have no experience whatsoever with research so how do i get my name on the paper?
i am applying to the simon kramer etxernship in radiation oncology at tju. are externships looked at unfavorably? do you know anything about that particular externship? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
nothing wrong with an externship- do really well, and just ask about doing a research project there or at your mothership.
steph

Hi, I am interested in rad onc, and I have done research in a lab for four years and I have a masters degree in tumor bio. I have one publication and I will probably get a few more. Can I go on vacation after my M1 year of school?

sure. But no one is promising you a spot in a rad onc residency.

ho do i "do really well" in the externship? again i am clueless. do you mean really try to accomodate, round early, stay late or what? thanks.

you dont round in rad onc. Its an outpatient service. Read up on patients the day before you see them, learn about staging, the treatments offered for the given disease, be enthusiastic, and helpful, the usual.
Steph

Originally posted by stephew
sure. But no one is promising you a spot in a rad onc residency.

Ya but does doing research after M1 promise you one?

Doing research after M1 will only put you on the path to be able to compete with all the other applicants out there.

believ me i need all the help i can get. I am beginning to wonder if i am doing the right thing. i may be shooting myself in the foot. however this is what i want to do so i'll keep going and see what my board scores are next year.

Originally posted by highclass
Ya but does doing research after M1 promise you one?

Fraid not.

no one who is a first year med student should count anything out yet. There are enough obsticles ahead, dont be one to yourself. good luck
all the best,
steph

Originally posted by OTN
Doing research after M1 will only put you on the path to be able to compete with all the other applicants out there.

I understand this, but I have already done 4 years of research prior to med school. I just think that spending alother summer doing benchwork will not compare to my previous accomplishments. I would rather be involved in clinical research. Would that help? How involved can one get in clinical research during the summer?

sure do relevant clinical work. the two combined are nice. go do it.
steph