Loupes for peds surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeForDetail

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first yr Ophthalmology resident. I bought a pair of very cheap loupes, they were suppose to have 2.5x Mag but probably only has 1.75-2x Mag. The working distance is decent at about 400mm.
My question is...will I be okay using them for strabismus surgery? The reason I didn't want to spend that much money on loupes is because I know I'm not going into Peds.
Comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You'll also need them for plastics and minor-type procedures like chalazia, etc.

There are people out there who have done strab with a bifocal add....

You'll probably be fine but give yourself a test run by sitting down with them on and try tying 6-0 Vicryl on some chicken legs or something

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a first yr Ophthalmology resident. I bought a pair of very cheap loupes, they were suppose to have 2.5x Mag but probably only has 1.75-2x Mag. The working distance is decent at about 400mm.
My question is...will I be okay using them for strabismus surgery? The reason I didn't want to spend that much money on loupes is because I know I'm not going into Peds.
Comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

It may help if you adjust the fitting of the loupes. You want to make sure you're not over-accommodating (and setting the PD too narrow) and you want them to be parallel with your visual axis and as close to your face as possible. Eliminate as many refractive media as possible (did it come with a safety shield? take it off).

I too bought a cheap pair of 2.5x loupes from online. It took me a long while to optimize the fit to see well, but once you do you really can't tell a huge difference between the cheap ones and the Designs for Vision ones. Your tolerance will also depend on your visual acuity. Make sure you're going in with 20/20 (and wear glasses under them if you have to).

Members don't see this ad :)
Or just borrow from your co-residents' who are not on the peds/plastics rotations

I'm a first yr resident as well and I decided to buy loupes because I think they are helpful on those nights when you are on call and there is a lid lac waiting for you at 2am. I really love them. I bought rose microsolution, I felt like their pricing wasn't as bad about $400 they have like a 6months payment plan, the frame options are not as nice as other big companies but I think they are really good quality, I am pretty happy with the investment I made

I bought 300 dollar Schultz loupes from loupe direct
I'm not going into peds or plastics but they are super helpful with those cases on call or when on rotation.
I have never tried design for visions. I tried someone's heine adjustable loupes and they were great but not so great that I felt handicapped by my cheaper loupes.
Don't go too cheap don't go too expensive and you will be happy.

I have a pair of Oculus Easyloupes. They are good, very adjustable and not as expensive as the custom ones. I use it for scleral buckles.

Go super cheap. $30-40 from China on EBay. Works just fine for someone not going into Peds or plastics.

Go super cheap. $30-40 from China on EBay. Works just fine for someone not going into Peds or plastics.

I know 3 people who bought these types and later bought a pair for $200-400. Don't recommend

I know 3 people who bought these types and later bought a pair for $200-400. Don't recommend
Do your back, your patients and your career a favor. Invest in a good pair of loupes that let you see well and see comfortably. Cheap eBay loupes can't be adjusted to let you see while maintaining good posture. Your back will thank you. It is frustrating to see residents save a few bucks on loupes which s an investment in their career as the text n their latest smartphone.

I bought 300 dollar Schultz loupes from loupe direct.

Can you link to which ones you bought? I realize this is an old post and maybe they aren’t available anymore, but I’m having a hard time with their website design. Thx!