Feeling defeated - cataract surgery complications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyedoc27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Seeking advice or thoughts on improving in cataract surgery and lowering complications. I started my attending job recently and on my 9th case since starting the job had a dropped nucleus in a patient with prior vitrectomy from macular hole surgery. I think the issue started when the lens wasn’t cracking and maybe I was not careful enough when doing other maneuvers to break it into pieces and remove the nucleus. I know these things happen but I’m honestly devastated. It’s also hard because I can’t help but compare myself to others that seem to never have any problems during surgery. I’m worried the patient won’t see well and that he’ll be upset and that it will hurt my reputation in the community. I did have some complications in residency as well although most cases went fine.
Any ideas on how I can improve my surgical outcomes / have less complications, and overall improve in surgery? Retina docs, how commonly do you see dropped nuclei?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Your first year out is always tough, the key is to not beat yourself up over the complications. Even though it doesn't feel like it, everyone has complications if they're still operating. The only way you're going to get better and more comfortable is to do more surgery. There's a huge learning curve even when you're out of residency. The comfort level will increase as your experience grows and never stops growing. Some things I did initially which I found helpful:

1. Record all of your surgery cases and review the ones that didn't go well to identify the weak steps that you're performing. I bought a cheap video interceptor and saved everything to a hard drive because my ASC didn't have a machine to record..
2. Be selective about the cases you take to surgery and expand gradually. I would talk the 20/20 refractive lens exchange out of surgery for a year or two. Hold off on those PXE with obvious zonular instability for now. Get those easy 3+ NS softballs in.
3. Take your time. I don't know what your setup is or if you have someone breathing down your back, but if you're struggling with a step don't be afraid to backpedal. Can't get a quadrant or half out of the back? Repeat hydrodissection, use viscodissection. Don't try overly aggressive maneuvers like chopping early on. If you have control of this I would try to book your OR days a little lighter just in case you get backed up early on you're not staring down another 15 cases to go.
4. Have a low threshold for things like Trypan, iris hooks, rings, etc.
5. Watch lots of online videos to get different ideas on how to approach different situations. Cataract coach is extremely helpful among other Youtubers. You might find safer instruments to use (like a Connor Wand instead of a vertical chopper).
6. Be mindful of what you do the day before. Maybe don't hit the gym and go for a personal record on deadlift the night before. Maybe not eat excessively and give yourself bloat the next morning. Pretend like you're prepping for a sporting match.

Just keep the communication with your patients and retinal colleagues open and honest. Never try to get away with anything or try to blur what happened. It will get better, but unfortunately you're going to lose a few nights of sleep in the process. But hey, that caring is what makes you a good physician in the first place.

Reactions: 2 users
Try not to be so hard on yourself. You're in a completely new environment with different equipment and it is extremely intimidating. Your patient will end up doing fine. They probably didn't have extremely high expectations in the first place if they had a macular hole repair. The retina surgery will be rather straightforward since they've already had a prior vitrectomy.

Just take it one step at a time like you were trained to do. You got this.

Members don't see this ad :)
And you know the posterior capsule was not compromised during the vitrectomy?

If your only dropped lenses are on post-vitrectomized eyes, I wouldn’t be too concerned.

Reactions: 1 user
Mistakes happen. Without a recording, it can be hard to know which step may have led to the error. I think having a couple of errors in your first year of practice is normal, especially in complicated cases like post vitrectomy eyes.

Some things to think about: #1 the eye is post-vitrectomy. A serious retinal injury is less likely. There is far less vitreous to cause traction, so it’s kind of a good case in my opinion for that complication.

#2 eyes that have had a vitrectomy often have cataracts that are somewhat fibrotic and harder to divide. They may not look dense, but they act differently.

#3 The hyaloid isn’t there to support the bag, so every movement you do is amplified stress on the zonules.

#4 There may be capsular or zonular damage from the previous surgery.

#5 the ligament of weiger is cut. This means the posterior capsule is going to be very floppy. Using your second instrument to protect the bag is super vital! I’ve seen capsule even sneak around my instrument, so you have to watch it like a hawk! This is especially true if they have an old dense lens that has stretched the capsule out. Adjusting settings for post occlusion surge can be helpful.

#6 You are human. You need to step back and give yourself some grace. Take a long walk. Relax. Call some colleagues to vent. At the end of the day, you can’t beat yourself up. You have to realize that it’s not possible to be perfect all of the time and beating yourself up about it isn’t healthy.

Edit: Also, I will advocate for horizontal chopping with a safety chopper as a good strategy. I kind of do a hybrid horizontal vertical, and I think when it’s done well it minimizes stress on the zonules and lowers energy.

I was told when I was finishing training that there is a tendency to avoid surgery too much if you have a complication early in your career. The point was to do a bunch of moderate and easy cases first to gain skill even if you think your skill level is high.

I knew a professor that started cataract surgery and ended up enucleating the eye before the case ended. While I disagree with the management, if that happened to a new ophthalmologist, they would be scared to operate after that.

I was told when I was finishing training that there is a tendency to avoid surgery too much if you have a complication early in your career. The point was to do a bunch of moderate and easy cases first to gain skill even if you think your skill level is high.

I knew a professor that started cataract surgery and ended up enucleating the eye before the case ended. While I disagree with the management, if that happened to a new ophthalmologist, they would be scared to operate after that.

I literally cannot imagine a situation in which one would start the case as a cataract surgery and finish as an enucleation, unless someone came and injected melanoma cells directly into the vitreous in the middle of the case...

Hello,
Seeking advice or thoughts on improving in cataract surgery and lowering complications. I started my attending job recently and on my 9th case since starting the job had a dropped nucleus in a patient with prior vitrectomy from macular hole surgery. I think the issue started when the lens wasn’t cracking and maybe I was not careful enough when doing other maneuvers to break it into pieces and remove the nucleus. I know these things happen but I’m honestly devastated. It’s also hard because I can’t help but compare myself to others that seem to never have any problems during surgery. I’m worried the patient won’t see well and that he’ll be upset and that it will hurt my reputation in the community. I did have some complications in residency as well although most cases went fine.
Any ideas on how I can improve my surgical outcomes / have less complications, and overall improve in surgery? Retina docs, how commonly do you see dropped nuclei?
The Others on here have given some great advice.

We retina docs like to make things more difficult for our cataract colleagues. Or, it might be considered good that we tend to make cataracts worse with our vitrectomies. Just make sure you set expectations when talking with post-vitrectomy pts. Before I do any retina surgery, I warn every pt “you are very likely going to develop (or worsen) a cataract”. When they come back in, for postop, it’s not a shock when I say “well, now ya gotta go see the cataract surgeon”. When you have these post-vit pts, tell them doing their surgery is like operating on a trampoline with the extra movement created by the lack of vitreous.

When I do get pts back with a dropped nucleus, especially if they’ve already had a vit done, they never really seem upset by it. And thats because the cataract surgeon set expectations. Of course I then butter up the pt by telling them “well your cataract doc is extremely good so with this happening it tells me how tough of a case it was”. Also, almost all of these pts end up doing well when the dust settles.

Thank you all so much for the replies and tips. I've been trying to learn from the experience and take what I can from it to improve in the future instead of just dwelling.

As mentioned above, try to learn chopping technique. Horizontal chopping. It is my method 100% of the time —for over 2 decades now. I’m not suggesting you change from divide & conquer, but it will greatly expand your repertoire in difficult cases.

Like mentioned above, try to learn chopping technique. Horizontal chopping. It is my method 100% of the time —for over 2 decades now. I’m not suggesting you change from divide & conquer, but it will greatly expand your repertoire in difficult cases.
so in residency one of my attendings always had me make a groove, then crack it, then rotate 90 degrees, make more grooves and then crack the 2 halves into quarters. I’m not even sure if there’s a name for this technique because we didn’t truly “chop.” I’ve sort of been sticking with this technique but would definitely be interested in trying chopping in the future. My question is, is the chopper sharp in any way (in order to chop)? I was worried about using it for the first time as I don't want to be worried about hitting the capsule with it. Also, how did you learn chop? Should I just watch videos and then just try it in real life?
Also, if I don't do chop what is the best second instrument to use?

1) the technique you described is not chopping. There are no grooves or classic cracking in the full chop technique. (The breaking up of the nucleus is the chop between your side instrument and the Phako)
2) I have tried different instruments, including the Goldberg, etc. I now exclusively use the Kuglen Hook as my second instrument in my chop technique. Not too sharp or too bulky, can easily get under the nucleus, and of course can move the iris when necessary….All in one. I don’t know anyone else who does this.
3) I think your best bet is to shadow a surgeon who chops, or go to a wet lab on chopping at ASCRS meeting or similar. Definitely watch YouTube videos also.

If you try it, make sure it’s an angled Kuglen hook, not a totally straight one. I don’t think, however, it will work well for divide & conquer as it does for chopping.

Last edited:
so in residency one of my attendings always had me make a groove, then crack it, then rotate 90 degrees, make more grooves and then crack the 2 halves into quarters. I’m not even sure if there’s a name for this technique because we didn’t truly “chop.” I’ve sort of been sticking with this technique but would definitely be interested in trying chopping in the future. My question is, is the chopper sharp in any way (in order to chop)? I was worried about using it for the first time as I don't want to be worried about hitting the capsule with it. Also, how did you learn chop? Should I just watch videos and then just try it in real life?

When I started out, I learned a trick from Dr makools cataract videos. Episode Archives – Mackool Online CME

He will hydrodissect and then go in and place a dolup of viscoat in the center of the lens and then viscodissect the nasal capsule from the lens for around 120 degrees. This creates a space for you to then slide your chopper in and rotate around the lens nucleus. (I personally use a siebel chopper. It can be sharp in some models on the inner edge that is directed towards the nucleus. You can use a Conner wand or chang finger if you want a round ball /olive tip but no sharp points on the stem.)

When I enter with the phaco probe I will first switch to quad and clean up any fluffed up cortex that I hydrodissected and then switch back to sculpt and create a trench temporally/ sub incisionally. Then I switch to quad and position myself bevel up to digg the phaco needle into the nuclear core. At this point my chopper is gripping the outer edge of the lens in the space I created and then I activate phaco on quad and digg into the trench. I bring the two instruments together and I usually get a nice chop. I will either rotate the lens at this point of just slide the chopper around the hemi nucleus and crush them between the probe and chopper. Important to note that the chopper should be "around the lens nucleus" and not just at the most anterior lens or it won't propergate the chop.

Brian Kim has nice double chop videos

I like to watch some international surgeons as well:

Take all the video tips in mind and trial one new technique per case. I've found one technique does not fit all cataracts. For my younger patients less than 40 yos I've found the capsule is elastic and the lens is gummy bear so I usually just spend time carefully vacuuming the lens or just switch to an I/A probe. And then older pts have different stages of brittle capsules more so in dense 3-4+ lens. I've also found more dense lens chop better than softer cataracts so I end up doing more "pop/flip" and chop for softer cataracts 1-2+.

My phaco settings have changed as i learned what I wanted more in my cases. I found that the quadrants would not come to my tip as well when I had an aspiration rate of 35 but really would jump to the tip when I bumped it up to 38. I also increased my vacuum on quad to 525 from the original 425. Both of these changes have helped move things faster to the tip.

I also remember similar settings on my first day of fellowship and thought it was too fast/dangerous. So I do feel like it changes with experience. it can help to have one of the Alcon or machine reps watch you and suggest setting changes that will work with your style.

I hope that helps. Please dm or let me know if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Divide and conquer sucks. I'm not sure why they keep starting trainees with this technique. It creates a handicap to start learning this way. And I consider it much less safe than chopping since the phaco tip gets closer to the posterior capsule. One thing you have to learn about chopping is that you don't really need to have vacuum occlusion with the phaco tip. I feel that is the hardest part of "classic" chop techniques. It's much more important to have a big ass chopper stabilizing the lens (e.g. hooking around the equator of the lens) and then you can just bring the phaco tip toward the chopper. I never vacuum-occlude with the phaco tip.

When I started out, I learned a trick from Dr makools cataract videos. Episode Archives – Mackool Online CME

He will hydrodissect and then go in and place a dolup of viscoat in the center of the lens and then viscodissect the nasal capsule from the lens for around 120 degrees. This creates a space for you to then slide your chopper in and rotate around the lens nucleus. (I personally use a siebel chopper. It can be sharp in some models on the inner edge that is directed towards the nucleus. You can use a Conner wand or chang finger if you want a round ball /olive tip but no sharp points on the stem.)

When I enter with the phaco probe I will first switch to quad and clean up any fluffed up cortex that I hydrodissected and then switch back to sculpt and create a trench temporally/ sub incisionally. Then I switch to quad and position myself bevel up to digg the phaco needle into the nuclear core. At this point my chopper is gripping the outer edge of the lens in the space I created and then I activate phaco on quad and digg into the trench. I bring the two instruments together and I usually get a nice chop. I will either rotate the lens at this point of just slide the chopper around the hemi nucleus and crush them between the probe and chopper. Important to note that the chopper should be "around the lens nucleus" and not just at the most anterior lens or it won't propergate the chop.

Brian Kim has nice double chop videos

I like to watch some international surgeons as well:

Take all the video tips in mind and trial one new technique per case. I've found one technique does not fit all cataracts. For my younger patients less than 40 yos I've found the capsule is elastic and the lens is gummy bear so I usually just spend time carefully vacuuming the lens or just switch to an I/A probe. And then older pts have different stages of brittle capsules more so in dense 3-4+ lens. I've also found more dense lens chop better than softer cataracts so I end up doing more "pop/flip" and chop for softer cataracts 1-2+.

My phaco settings have changed as i learned what I wanted more in my cases. I found that the quadrants would not come to my tip as well when I had an aspiration rate of 35 but really would jump to the tip when I bumped it up to 38. I also increased my vacuum on quad to 525 from the original 425. Both of these changes have helped move things faster to the tip.

I also remember similar settings on my first day of fellowship and thought it was too fast/dangerous. So I do feel like it changes with experience. it can help to have one of the Alcon or machine reps watch you and suggest setting changes that will work with your style.

I hope that helps. Please dm or let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you. That definitely intimidates me, having to go around the entire lens nucleus like that… also the whole chopping thing seems like it stretches out the bag so much… but I want to eventually give it a try.

Thank you all.
Another hard case I had was with a 3-4+ yellow/brown lens. It was not cracking whatsoever even when I had a deep groove. It was almost plaquelike. And the zonales were loose so every time I touched it and tried to crack again I felt I was making it worse. Would chopping be a lot easier for a case like this?

Thank you. That definitely intimidates me, having to go around the entire lens nucleus like that… also the whole chopping thing seems like it stretches out the bag so much… but I want to eventually give it a try.
Actually, divide and conquer stretches out the bag much more than chopping.

Thank you all.
Another hard case I had was with a 3-4+ yellow/brown lens. It was not cracking whatsoever even when I had a deep groove. It was almost plaquelike. And the zonales were loose so every time I touched it and tried to crack again I felt I was making it worse. Would chopping be a lot easier for a case like this?
Usually you can use dense settings and sculpt out a central groove first to debulk the lens. Then wrap the chopper around the equator and crush the two instruments together and propagate the chop.

If you suspect or know there is loose xonules I wouldn't mess around and wait - I would just pull out capsular hooks and set yourself up for success. Once those hooks are in you really can chop or whatever with confidence. Then you can do a cTr and either do a sulcus lens or if bag is good and stable you can place in the bag...etc cts...

Look up some videos of “stop and chop.” This is my phaco technique of choice. Here is my recommendation for learning to chop.

1) Get a chopper and use it as your second instrument for 10-20 cases so that you get use to how it feels. I prefer the Seibel chopper or the Koch stop-and-chop chopper.

2) Once you are comfortable with the feel of the chopper, you are ready to try chopping. I recommend that you sculpt the nucleus in half, crack like you normally do, rotate 90 degrees, sculpt, crack the first hemi, and remove both pieces. Now you are left with the second hemi in the eye. Rotate it so it is directly across from you, switch to quad, phaco slightly into the center of the piece, back off the foot pedal so you are aspirating only, pull the piece toward you a bit so you have more room, place your chopper around the equator of the lens then pull it toward your phaco tip, then separate the two instruments to crack the hemi in two pieces. If you can’t get it to split just revert back to sculpt and divide and conquer like usual.

3) Once you are comfortable with chopping the second hemi, you can begin chopping the first hemi. I personally prefer horizontal chopping, but you can experiment with vertical too of course. Eventually you can try primary chopping, but I think stop and chop is the best introductory technique. Watch lots of surgical videos and remember you can always fall back on divide and conquer,

Good luck!! 👍

Look up some videos of “stop and chop.” This is my phaco technique of choice. Here is my recommendation for learning to chop.

1) Get a chopper and use it as your second instrument for 10-20 cases so that you get use to how it feels. I prefer the Seibel chopper or the Koch stop-and-chop chopper.

2) Once you are comfortable with the feel of the chopper, you are ready to try chopping. I recommend that you sculpt the nucleus in half, crack like you normally do, rotate 90 degrees, sculpt, crack the first hemi, and remove both pieces. Now you are left with the second hemi in the eye. Rotate it so it is directly across from you, switch to quad, phaco slightly into the center of the piece, back off the foot pedal so you are aspirating only, pull the piece toward you a bit so you have more room, place your chopper around the equator of the lens then pull it toward your phaco tip, then separate the two instruments to crack the hemi in two pieces. If you can’t get it to split just revert back to sculpt and divide and conquer like usual.

3) Once you are comfortable with chopping the second hemi, you can begin chopping the first hemi. I personally prefer horizontal chopping, but you can experiment with vertical too of course. Eventually you can try primary chopping, but I think stop and chop is the best introductory technique. Watch lots of surgical videos and remember you can always fall back on divide and conquer,

Good luck!! 👍
Thank you!! This is so helpful. Such a great idea to try it with the last hemi so there is plenty of room. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical chop?

One thing you have to learn about chopping is that you don't really need to have vacuum occlusion with the phaco tip. I feel that is the hardest part of "classic" chop techniques. It's much more important to have a big ass chopper stabilizing the lens (e.g. hooking around the equator of the lens) and then you can just bring the phaco tip toward the chopper. I never vacuum-occlude with the phaco tip.
The opposite for me. I do use significant vacuum occlusion with the Phako tip to help lift up the lens while using a relatively small (Kuglen) instrument posteriorly. Both techniques work well.

Other than missing out on toric or multifocal, the visual outcome is nearly identical with sulcus or AC IOL vs in the bag. Especially post vitrectomy when you're not worried about vitreous traction. It means a lensectomy, but I've been shocked at the visual outcomes either way.

I agree with LightBox and usually do not engage vacuum while chopping, though I didn't start that way. Like i-doctor stated, both techniques work well.

I think the main advantage, if there is any, to learning divide and conquer first is that you don't have to worry as much about your two hands working well together. Trainees tend to let one hand drift while they're focusing on the other, and cracking a sculpted groove is a simpler movement than chopping.

Does anyone know the statistics on sculpting vs chopping? Nearly all faculty at my program sculpted, which seems bizarre to me now.

Does anyone know the statistics on sculpting vs chopping? Nearly all faculty at my program sculpted, which seems bizarre to me now.

Of course there are exceptions, but many academic-types are not great/super efficient cataract surgeons. There is something to be said with doing 30 cataracts in a day compared to 5. It is a physical skill much like any other (e.g. shooting a basketball), so you are going to be better the more regularly you do it. In private practice, you quickly learn how much slower divide and conquer typically is compared to chopping.

I disagree slightly about your statement regarding ACIOLs. Basically, I don't think they should ever be inserted anymore. Just leave the patient aphakic without causing any further damage and let someone skilled at Yamane or sutured lenses do it at a later date. The patient will do much better in the long term. ACIOLs should be banned except for mission trips.

Of course there are exceptions, but many academic-types are not great/super efficient cataract surgeons. There is something to be said with doing 30 cataracts in a day compared to 5. It is a physical skill much like any other (e.g. shooting a basketball), so you are going to be better the more regularly you do it. In private practice, you quickly learn how much slower divide and conquer typically is compared to chopping.

I disagree slightly about your statement regarding ACIOLs. Basically, I don't think they should ever be inserted anymore. Just leave the patient aphakic without causing any further damage and let someone skilled at Yamane or sutured lenses do it at a later date. The patient will do much better in the long term. ACIOLs should be banned except for mission trips.
In private practice, you also learn most of the alloted OR time is taken up by setup! To each their own! I do stop and chop / divide and conquer all the time. You save 30 seconds chopping. You save a lot more not dicking around with ora / femto.

In private practice, you also learn most of the alloted OR time is taken up by setup! To each their own! I do stop and chop / divide and conquer all the time. You save 30 seconds chopping. You save a lot more not dicking around with ora / femto.
Agree that ORa is generally a waste of time (I rarely use it). Femto, however, has a huge impact on your profitability which is especially important given that reimbursements keep sliding every few years.... :-(

Agree that ORa is generally a waste of time (I rarely use it). Femto, however, has a huge impact on your profitability which is especially important given that reimbursements keep sliding every few years.... :-(
You could also just not do femto and charge the same anyway...

Disagree. There has never been any significant data that fixated lenses have better visual outcomes than an ACIOL. I’ve seen significantly more complications with fixated lenses as well, plus the additional OR time and possible second surgery.

Disagree. There has never been any significant data that fixated lenses have better visual outcomes than an ACIOL. I’ve seen significantly more complications with fixated lenses as well, plus the additional OR time and possible second surgery.
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I've seen tons of patients with chronic eye pain, UGH syndrome, and endothelial failure from ACIOLs. I 100% would never want an ACIOL in my own eye.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I've seen tons of patients with chronic eye pain, UGH syndrome, and endothelial failure from ACIOLs. I 100% would never want an ACIOL in my own eye.
Agree 100%. A well done scleral fixated IOL is a much better anatomical and functional outcome compared to an ACIOL. I have had to manage or even remove several ACIOL's over the years due to UGH/chronic CME/or corneal decompensation. This has simply not been the case with a scleral fixated IOL in my experience.

I think you are both right….
A well done scleral fixated IOL will do great. If not done perfectly, there will be erosion and problems.
A well done ACIOL will do fine too, but it too has to be nearly perfect— no pupillary capture and it must be completely clear of the iris root. So many of them have one haptic caught in a corner of the iris somewhere, which leads to inflammation, CME, and decompenation.

Last edited:
I think you are both right….
A well done scleral fixated IOL will do great. If not done perfectly, there will be erosion and problems.
A well done ACIOL will do fine too, but it too has to be nearly perfect— no pupillary capture and it must be completely clear of the iris root. So many of them have one haptic caught in a corner of the iris somewhere, which leads to inflammation, CME, and decompenation.
Agreed. I think the biggest takeaway is that these are complicated eyes that can do very well or do very badly. No matter what you put in, there’s going to be a risk of CME, UGH, etc. Corneas don’t like ACIOLs, conjunctiva doesn’t like suture or haptics. Anything can tilt or decenter.

I’ll take a retinal detachment repair over a lens case any day.

And to get back on topic, I don’t know what the OP uses as a second instrument, but as mentioned above, a Seibel is a nice tool to start with. You can use it to crack in a divide and conquer to start, plus it’s got the nice dull ball on the tip to reach around the lens so you have less anxiety if and when you give chopping a try.

Do those of you who horizontal chop ever worry about your chopper getting a ding (maybe during sterilization or if accidentally touches the Phaco) that can cause it to tear the bag if it scratches the bag when hooking the lens?

Do those of you who horizontal chop ever worry about your chopper getting a ding (maybe during sterilization or if accidentally touches the Phaco) that can cause it to tear the bag if it scratches the bag when hooking the lens?
I actually do worry about this. I've had a rare case or two where my phaco tip was nowhere close to the posterior capsule, and somehow a large PC tear occurs. In those instances, I finger-feel the chopper but have yet to identify any burrs, etc. Who knows?

And to get back on topic, I don’t know what the OP uses as a second instrument, but as mentioned above, a Seibel is a nice tool to start with. You can use it to crack in a divide and conquer to start, plus it’s got the nice dull ball on the tip to reach around the lens so you have less anxiety if and when you give chopping a try.
I use a drysdale now. I’ve used a seibel before but only for divide and conquer.
When people say “chopper” what instrument are you referring to?

Try to find something bigger than the Seibel. It will be more efficient that way.

It's not the size your instrument, it's how you use it. You should see what I can do with a sinsky hook...
Motion in the ocean (of aqueous) 😂😂😂

While there are definitely a few wrong ways to do cataract surgery, there are lots of reasonable, efficient and safe ways. Fastest surgeon I've seen could do a 3 minute divide and conquer. He got sweaty very quickly and his staff told me he had a pretty high rate of broken bags. I do horizontal chop 99% of the time with the seibel. Unclear to me how a bigger instrument would facilitate the chops any more efficiently.

To the OP, I think the fact that you care enough to investigate your technique and to come asking for help means that you will grow into a very good surgeon. It takes time. My residency did not offer great surgical volume, and I was never allowed to break the bag during residency. My first two years, I had a lot of broken bags and other complications, and I wondered if I was a bad surgeon (even though I had been reassured by my attendings I was one of the best). Years later, I am much more confident as a surgeon and my mistakes and complications have helped me to grow as a doctor. My advice to you:

1) Patient selection and warnings - The pre-op exam is for YOU. Find anything possible that could go wrong or should be used to temper the patient expectations: high myopia, very shallow AC, guttata, irregular cornea surface, irregular topography and astigmatism, unusual AL, prior trauma or surgery, pseudoexfoliation, flomax usage, poor dilation, posterior synechiae, previous lasik, zonular laxity, ERM, AMD, etc. The ire and expectations of the patient will be much less when they expect trouble and know you are prepared for it. Use this pre-op exam knowledge to plan your surgery --> use omidria and malyugin ring or iris hooks for poor dilators and schedule them at the end of the day, have capsular tension rings and hooks standing by for pseudo-ex patients and book them end of day.

2) Investigate your surgeries and determine when and how the complication is occurring. For me, I found that I never broken the bag during cortex removal; it was always during phaco. Eventually, I realized my hydrodissections were inadequate and I was putting too much pressure to rotate lens fragments when not fully separated from the bag. Focus on trying to get a very good hydrodissection but be sure to let out a little visco before you hydrodissect to make room and decompress as you hydrodissect so you don't blow out the bag. Make sure you get a good spin before you begin your phaco. If you get resistance removing a piece of nucleus, do not force it. Instead, stop and add visco to reform your chamber and consider additional hydrodissection or using visco on a chang cannula to get behind the piece and dissect it up out of the bag. Ways you can break the bag --> phaco through the nucleus while sculpting, blow out the bag with too much hydrodissection pressure, rotate a heminucleus still attached to the bag, apply pressures to the bag from different vectors such as pulling cortex from opposite sides of the bag at the same time, grabbing the bag with your phaco tip or I&A tip, or poking through with an instrument. Focus on setting yourself up so you can't do any of these things, and you won't break the bag.

3) Do not rush or operate where you cannot see. I repeat to myself during surgery "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast". Try not to get into a rush; it's faster not to mess up. If you can't see what you need to, then do not proceed with the surgery. Move the patient or refocus the scope. Add BSS to the surface, add visco inside the eye. Do not stick the phaco tip where you can't see. Try to keep the phaco tip in the iris plane and not too close to the wound (to avoid wound burn) but not inside the bag either. If you keep the tip where you can see it, it's much less likely to break the bag.

4) Don't make surgery hard. There is no trophy for being a hero. As I said early, if you can't get a piece out, visco-dissect it up. If you are having trouble getting the subincisional cortex, you can use the second instrument to hold the bag back or you can convert to bimanual I&A and easily reach around and get out of the cortex more safely. Alternately, sometimes I will add some provisc to inflate the bag and keep it back while i grab the cortex safely under the incision. Considering recommending femto for harder cataracts. Give yourself every tool for success. You mentioned a leathery cataract with a shell at the bottom that would not crack -- these are some of the hardest cases. Femto makes them MUCH easier to crack. Aside from this, the mi-loop could help. If not available, you keep sculpting very gently a tiny bit by bit until it will crack, being sure not to go too far through.

5) There is no one way to skin a cataract. Every doctor at my practice does phaco a little differently. I somewhat disagree with the others above that you try chopping -- chopping can be very efficient and limit zonular stress but it does recquire reaching towards the equator where you can't see as well and you really need to become good at hydrodissection and the basic steps of surgery first. Just my belief. Your technique you described is called divide and conquer. You should be familiar with this already and the basics of other types of chopping before finishing residency, but if this was not emphasized, I would recommend you go to Uday Devgan's youtube channel Cataract Coach and watch videos on different techniques. There is nothing wrong with divide and conquer, and it can be a safe way to approach most cataracts. My personal technique is to hydrodissect, sculpt a groove to create two hemispheres of the nucleus. I then crack and use my spatula to reverse chop upwards through the hemisphere, applying downwards pressure sideways with the phaco tip needle. I then use my spatula and phaco cutting tip's side sharp edge to chop into smaller pieces to emulsify, then rotate the other piece and repeat. This works for most every cataract for me. I can do this in four minutes, but typically more 5-7 minutes to be safe and to get a good IOL position, sweep the iridocorneal angle to get all the pieces and visco out, hunt under the iris for any retained fragments and make sure the wounds are sealed well.

6) Complications need not be devastating. Patients who require vitrectomies or additional retinal surgeries can see just as well. The key is managing the complications well, communicating with the patient and retina doctor. Broken bag tips --> once you recognize the tear, add visco to block any posterior flow, do not remove the phaco tip. Hook up the bimanual vitrector and make two para's and remove the remaining fragments, cortext. Perform any necessary vitrectomy. I don't add steroid to visualize until the lens and miostat are in so it doesn't fall posteriorly. Fill the bag with visco, ORA If you wish. Make sure you select an appropriate IOL 3 piece like MA60AC. Adjust IOL power for the sulcus. Widen the incision, use the bigger cartridge for the IOL, insert lens and position. Try to do optic capture if possible (lens through the rhexis posteriorly with two haptics in the sulcus) to stabilize the lens. Suture the main wound first and hydrate before removing jelly. It will keep the chamber stable and IOL and visco back. Then, using the bimanual vitrector and your two sideport incisiions, slowly remove the jelly, keep the irrigation posterior to the vitrector. You can use the irrigation tip to hold the IOL back from rushing forward. Hydrate one wound to keep chamber stability, inject miostat. Watch pupil go down and check for peaking of the pupil. Inject steroid to stain the vitreous and vitrect in the AC as needed any strands. Hydrate, check wounds for vitreous, apply BCL. Give diamox if no kidney disease to keep IOP down and load them up with steroid. I do subconj dex and q1H pred and antibiotic drops the first day or so. Check IOP next morning and make sure it stays down, look for any retained fragments in the posterior segment and refer to retina as necessary. Consider extending their post-op NSAID and steroid for another month or two longer than unusual to try to prevent CME for which they are at higher risk.

7) Don't hide your complications. I always try to be upfront with patients and show them photos to illustrate the events of their surgery, my concerns and what our plan is. Express you wish you could have given them a smoother ride with surgery but that you are experienced in managing their problems and will be sure to work closely with them to heal and achieve a good outcome. Call them to check in. I also discuss my complications and challenging cases with my colleagues to try to get their wisdom. Don't hide from surgery either -- it's important to keep your schedule as full as you can your first year or two out so you have enough cases to really practice your technique and grow. If you continue to have problems, consider recording your cases for you to review. I routinely discussed challenging cases my first year or two out with my mentor attendings from residency. You could consider hiring an experienced coach if you continue to have complications to come watch you.

Remember, we do not get paid the big bucks just for the easy surgeries. Our job is to fix the problems when the poop hits the fan. As long as you keep a level head, manage your complications and keep striving to improve you will do fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Wow, an excellent post!!!
One additional point regarding removal of sub-incisional cortex. Sometimes when I have difficulty in removing it I just put in the PC IOL first and then go after it again afterwards. That can protect the posterior capsule too.

Last edited:
Wow, an excellent post!!!
One additional point on removing sub-incisional cortex. Sometimes when I have difficulty in removing it I just put in the PC IOL first and then go after it again afterwards. That can protect the posterior capsule too.
It’s been awhile since I’ve done cataracts but why not just use the transformer hand piece (I think it’s from Alcon?), you can stick the aspiration through the para if you’re having difficulty removing subincisional cortex through the main incision

It’s been awhile since I’ve done cataracts but why not just use the transformer hand piece (I think it’s from Alcon?), you can stick the aspiration through the para if you’re having difficulty removing subincisional cortex through the main incision
True but as I get older the trend for me is to use less instruments. Simplify. There are perfect instruments for everything, but I don’t use most of them.

Because it costs more money. Aren't you in private practice?

Very interesting, the competence of surgeons seems to really vary based on this thread, I wonder how one would know if the surgeon they have is a skilled one

Very interesting, the competence of surgeons seems to really vary based on this thread, I wonder how one would know if the surgeon they have is a skilled one
Ask people who have worked with them in the past. For example, out hospital scrub techs have worked with every surgeon in town and can give the best unbiased opinion. The practice owned asc unfortunately can be biased.

Ask people who have worked with them in the past. For example, out hospital scrub techs have worked with every surgeon in town and can give the best unbiased opinion. The practice owned asc unfortunately can be biased.
Yeah but as a patient going to see a random surgeon that’ll be pretty hard to do haha