LMU-DCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my humble opinion, these are the books I'd get (regardless of the book list)

MGA- sign up with SOMA for the free Netters, then buy Lange's Roadmap for the USMLE by White and the BRS anatomy by Won Chung

FMHC- Study Guide to Epidemiology and Biostatistics by Hebel and McCarter

MFM I- Marks' Basic Medical Biochemistry, Lippencott's Illustrated reviews: Biochemistry

And yes, the med school apartments have wireless internet
This would be your all inclusive book list?
How many other students agree with this?
This is an attractive alternative to the school's list and would be nice to know that it can get me through just fine.

Members don't see this ad.

This would be your all inclusive book list?
How many other students agree with this?
This is an attractive alternative to the school's list and would be nice to know that it can get me through just fine.

You're right. By looking at the booklist which DCOM posted yesterday, I wonder if these books are sufficient for first semester. Do we need to have all books in the list? I don't know if we have time just to read all of them. Real game is just about to start. :eek:

Any comment from upperclassmen are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

You're right. By looking at the booklist which DCOM posted yesterday, I wonder if these books are sufficient for first semester. Do we need to have all books in the list? I don't know if we have time just to read all of them. Real game is just about to start. :eek:

Any comment from upperclassmen are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

It's really going to depend on what kind of studier you are. I found myself with little time to read books and preferred to just re-watch lectures on Mediasite, but everyone is different. I can tell you the books that I used:

REQUIRED TEXTBOOKS
Course: Medical Gross Anatomy (DO SYS 701)

Atlas of Human Anatomy, 4th Edition, F. Netter, Elsevier, ISBN: 1-4160-3385-8 Yes, used it all the time - sign up with SOMA and get a free one during orientation
Gray's Dissection Guide for Human Anatomy, 2nd edition, D. Morton, et al, Elsevier, ISBN:0-4430-6951-4 I used this somewhat during lab sessions
Langman's Medical Embryology, 11th ed., T. Sadler, March 2006, Lippincott Williams &

Wilkins, ISBN: 0-7817-9069-7 Still in plastic wrap
Basic Histology, 11th edition, L.C. Junqueira, J. Carneiro, The McGraw-Hill Co., Inc.,2005, ISBN: 0-0714-4091-7 I did use this book to supplement lab and lecture, but you could probably go without

*I used the Gray's Anatomy text book quite a lot also, which I see has been taken off the booklist

Course: Molecular Fundamentals of Medicine I (DO SYS 711)

Marks' Basic Medical Biochemistry, 3rd edition, M. Lieberman & A. Marks, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, ISBN 0-7817-7022-X Read a few chapters in this book to help me understand some lectures

See also RECOMMENDED TEXTBOOKS

Course: Osteopathic Principles and Practice I and II (DO SYS 731 & 732)

An Osteopathic Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment, 3rd Edition, ISBN: 0-7817-4293-5 Still in plastic wrap on my bookshelf
Atlas of Osteopathic Techniques, A.S. Nicholas, E.A. Nicholas, ISBN: 0-7817-6371-1Still in plastic wrap

See also RECOMMENDED TEXTBOOK

Course: Foundations of Modern Healthcare I (DO SYS 781)

Study Guide to Epidemiology and Biostatistics, 6th Edition, J. R. Hebel, R. McCarter, ISBN:0-7637-3491-8 Never opened it - I got everything I needed from lecture

Course: Essentials of Patient Care I & II (DO SYS 741 & 742)

Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking, 10th Edition, L. Bickley, P.Szilagyi, ISBN: 0-7817-8058-6 Yes, you 100% need this book - your exams will come from it even if it wasn't presented in lecture

REQUIRED SUPPLIES - I got the kit sold through the school and everything has worked just fine.

o Pan Optic Diagnostic Kit
o Sphygmomanometer
o Stethoscope
o Neurological Hammer, with pin and brush
o Tuning Fork (512 Hz)
o Scrubs (for Anatomy lab) - I got two pairs, embroidered with my name and school from www.allheart.com . You can also get them from the orthopedic club at school who sells them as fundraiser, but I recommend getting a second pair online in addition because you might not get them right away.

RECOMMENDED TEXTBOOKS

Foundations for Osteopathic Medicine, 2nd Edition, ISBN: 0-7817-3497-5 -
Course:Osteopathic Principles and Practice I & II (DO SYS 731 & 732)
* Molecular Biology of the Cell, 5th Edition, B. Alberts, et al, ISBN: 978-0815341055 -I may have read one chapter (looks like it's available online though)
Thompson and Thompson Genetics in Medicine, R. Nussbaum, et al, ISBN: 978- 1416030805 - Didn't use it
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (Board Review Series), T. Swanson et al, ISBN: 978-0781786249 - I read a few chapters of this book

For the second semester I only got the required books and still haven't even looked at some of them. It looks like they cut down the list quite a bit from what was on there last year. I have about 10 additional books in plastic wrap in my office, so at least it's been updated. Hope this helps. I also found the Netter's flashards, which aren't on this list, to be a valuable resource.​

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
hey found out yestarday i was waitlisted :-( not cool. so does anyone know how the waitlist works and if theres any hope on getting off the waitlist.

I would also be interested in any advice from the waitlisted people who have gotten off?? It appears there are many of us from these most recent interview days....

hey found out yestarday i was waitlisted :-( not cool. so does anyone know how the waitlist works and if theres any hope on getting off the waitlist.

I was recently waitlisted as well, so I understand your misery : ( I emailed Janette and she said the waitlist is not ranked but they continually review files as seats open up, beginning in mid-april (pretty much now). She said most of the movement seems to occur in May and June, but can happen up until the July 28 orientation week. As far as moving off the waitlist, we can only hope for the best...good luck!

For those who care I received some financial aid info. in the mail either Friday or Saturday.

To add to what Missdochopeful said, I used Mark's Basic Medical Biochemistry just to go over all the questions they have at the back of each chapter- which was helpful because some questions were taken straight from the book (actually I didn't buy this one myself, I just borrowed it from a 2nd year friend). Also really helpful for me was BRS (Board Review Series) Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, which I used more than the required text, and it's good for when you have to study boards!

I used the Study Guide to Epidemiology and Biostatistics a lot, because it was shorter for me to read through the chapters and do all the practice questions than to go through the lengthy lectures (in my opinion). It's also a fairly inexpensive book, so I would get it.

I got the BRS Gross Anatomy book as well, which was most useful in going over practice questions, which I would do the night before all the exams as a final prep.

I do! Hey class of 2013! I'm a 2011er who's going to be in the Anatomy/OMM fellowship program that will keep me around on campus during your 1st year... Well, half of your first year anyways. I've got a place in Middlesboro. Its super cheap (350$ per mo total , 175$ per mo per person), and even has a covered parking spot. I'll only be living there for the second half of the year when I come back from my core rotations to do 6 mo of my fellowship. I will pay 200$ toward the rent while I'm gone, and then split bills and rent 50/50 with you when I come back. My previous roommate and i never payed more than $300 per person for total rent and bills, so its a pretty sweet deal. You only have to put up with my cats for 6 months. Message me if you're interested. I've got pics of the place I can send you. I'll take a guy or a girl.

... and yes, I DID just post this exact same message on the 2013 Facebook page, lol. :D

For all the current DCOM students, where does everyone get their internet access from? I'm having difficulty finding it online. Also, what speed is required and how much does it cost a month? Thanks!

I do! Hey class of 2013! I'm a 2011er who's going to be in the Anatomy/OMM fellowship program that will keep me around on campus during your 1st year... Well, half of your first year anyways. I've got a place in Middlesboro. Its super cheap (350$ per mo total , 175$ per mo per person), and even has a covered parking spot. I'll only be living there for the second half of the year when I come back from my core rotations to do 6 mo of my fellowship. I will pay 200$ toward the rent while I'm gone, and then split bills and rent 50/50 with you when I come back. My previous roommate and i never payed more than $300 per person for total rent and bills, so its a pretty sweet deal. You only have to put up with my cats for 6 months. Message me if you're interested. I've got pics of the place I can send you. I'll take a guy or a girl.

... and yes, I DID just post this exact same message on the 2013 Facebook page, lol. :D

Hi, since you are an upperclassmen, I wanted to ask you where the clinical rotation sites are for LMU-DCOM students. Is there a link that has the list?

Other upperclassmen that know this info, would you please let me know. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't feel dumb! I think we've got some great places. I'm going to SWVA.. Free housing and amazing docs! Woot!

Hi guys,

Question for upperclassmen or anyone who can answer this: Certified BLS for Healthcare Provider is mandatory right? What if I am already certified? Do I have to retake it?

Thanks.

hahha, you made me laugh. :laugh:

I was just kidding, don't take this seriously. I had hard time to find information on the web too. We are newbies, so it's nothing to feel bad.

Looking forward to meet you in the fall.
Regard.:)

Hi guys,

Question for upperclassmen or anyone who can answer this: Certified BLS for Healthcare Provider is mandatory right? What if I am already certified? Do I have to retake it?

Thanks.

If I'm not mistaken, you become ACLS certified in the fall of your second year through the EPC course

I just wanted to amend the book list that I posted above. You should go ahead and purchase Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy. Unfortunately none of the schools will be receiving them free through SOMA this year due to lack of funds :( Of course there are many other awesome reasons you should join SOMA, but I didn't want you to miss out on getting this book because it was really helpful for me.

Hi guys,

Thanks.

The AHA CPR & AED for Healthcare Providers certification lasts two years. A medical school ought to put you through it right at the beginning to cover you for the two academic years and then again at the end of your second year so that you're certified for your entire series of clinical rotations without having to take time away from them to renew. It's not just having it, but the expiration date that counts. A lapsed certification is a liability if anything were to go wrong. Plus it's required for taking ACLS, though I'm surprised that's in the fall at DCOM rather than at the end of the second year, since I think that certification lasts two years too.

Does DCOM do PALS too?

Hello upperclassmen,

I just wanna know if Netter Atlas is " must have" for Anatomy. Personally, I refer to Color Atlas of Anatomy: A Photographic Study of the Human Body (Color Atlas of Anatomy (Rohen)). It has real pictures of cadaver and so easy to locate the structure. Since Netter Atlas is in the booklist, so I am not sure if I need to get both Netter atlas and this atlas.
Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks.:thumbup:

Hello upperclassmen,

I just wanna know if Netter Atlas is " must have" for Anatomy. Personally, I refer to Color Atlas of Anatomy: A Photographic Study of the Human Body (Color Atlas of Anatomy (Rohen)). It has real pictures of cadaver and so easy to locate the structure. Since Netter Atlas is in the booklist, so I am not sure if I need to get both Netter atlas and this atlas.

Whatever you prefer. I think an atlas is a must-have, but if you think another one is better, then get that. I only used Netters and I also got the Netter's flashcards which turned out to be a valuable study aid.

Whatever you prefer. I think an atlas is a must-have, but if you think another one is better, then get that. I only used Netters and I also got the Netter's flashcards which turned out to be a valuable study aid.

Thank you:thumbup:

So this might seem like a weird question, but I was wondering if there were any health food stores near the school? I eat a lot of weird things since I have some food allergies and just enjoy health foods in general. It's no big deal if not I was just hoping there might be!

Very interesting question. I want to know too. Eating too much fast food makes me :scared: and :sleep:

So this might seem like a weird question, but I was wondering if there were any health food stores near the school? I eat a lot of weird things since I have some food allergies and just enjoy health foods in general. It's no big deal if not I was just hoping there might be!

I think this might depend on what you consider health food.

I don't know if there's any organic markets up there, but there are in Knoxville.

To many in TN, I think "health food" means getting their Hardee's or McDonald's with small fries instead of "biggie size". Wait until you get a load of the lines at those two places every morning, noon, and night, and you'll know very quickly how secure your job is going to be as a healthcare provider.

If you need some help looking for places to shop, let me know, and I can look around. I know there's a Fresh Market down here in Knoxville...it's awesome. World Market as well....but I haven't seen much of what I would call "health food" there.

Kroger in Middlesboro may have an organic section. In my experience, Food City has never heard of lowfat products.

Hello upperclassmen,

I used and have both. I didn't use Rohen nearly as much during Anatomy as I thought I might, but look forward to having it around for my surgery rotation.

While I am a "book person" and have bought the majority of the books, I would have to concur with others when it comes to many of the Histo and OPP books. The fact I bought the Histo books really kind of makes me mad, but Junquiera is AWESOME if you're like me and have to read to "get" our Histo lectures.

The Foundations of OPP book I like having as a reference....not so sure about my "An Osteopathic Approach to Dx. and Tx". I've NEVER used it.

Oh, and you're gonna need the Psych book unless something drastic happens. Just my .02.

FOUR MORE WEEKS!!!!!!:eek:

Thanks for all answers from all of you.
I am just curious about the 3rd year- rotation. How are students assigned to hospital? Can each student do all rotation courses at same place or they have to jump around? Finally how many weeks are there for Electives courses?

A newbie who is excited for med school.
TXDO:D

Thanks for all answers from all of you.
I am just curious about the 3rd year- rotation. How are students assigned to hospital? Can each student do all rotation courses at same place or they have to jump around? Finally how many weeks are there for Electives courses?

A newbie who is excited for med school.
TXDO:D

We had a "lottery" to assign us to spots for 3rd/4th year.

You can do a lot of your rotations within a fairly small geographical area if you choose to.

I believe the count is 4 electives/selectives in 3rd year with more during 4th year.

For instance...my 3rd year is shaping up like this. I have core in the first block (first 6 months).

Peds (core)
OB/GYN (core)
IM for 2 months (core)
Surgery (Core)
Behavioral Health (core)
Cardiology (medical selective)
FP (core)
Ortho (surg. selective)
Vacation
(OPEN) (looking for Anes. for my surg. elective)
Gastroenterology (medical elective)

We had a "lottery" to assign us to spots for 3rd/4th year.

You can do a lot of your rotations within a fairly small geographical area if you choose to.

I believe the count is 4 electives/selectives in 3rd year with more during 4th year.

For instance...my 3rd year is shaping up like this. I have core in the first block (first 6 months).

Peds (core)
OB/GYN (core)
IM for 2 months (core)
Surgery (Core)
Behavioral Health (core)
Cardiology (medical selective)
FP (core)
Ortho (surg. selective)
Vacation
(OPEN) (looking for Anes. for my surg. elective)
Gastroenterology (medical elective)

Your schedule looks fantastic:thumbup::D. So who will teach you in hospital? The faculty at DCOM or contracted doctors? and how the grades will be counted?
Thanks

Your schedule looks fantastic:thumbup::D. So who will teach you in hospital? The faculty at DCOM or contracted doctors? and how the grades will be counted?
Thanks

Not exactly sure yet. We have a meeting in a couple weeks to go over most of that stuff. We'll be assigned preceptors at our hospital. I know who my electives and FP will be with, but that's about it.

No idea on grades...I suspect an eval from our preceptor will be sent to the school, and we will have some sort of test after each one, but not sure.

And yes, I'm loving my schedule thus far. I cannot wait.

so ive been waitlisted and 2 weeks ago i gave them my letter of intent by email. so now, i am wondering, is it appropriate to call/email the school and ask them about my status and remind them how badly i want to go there (cuz i really truly am dying to go here...)

I got my loan offers for LMU in Harragot, Tn. recently. They also included a list of places to apply but are not allowed ( or chose not to) give any indication if one is better than the other. Does anyone have a grip on this loan issue so those of us who are not familiar with these loans will not get taken to the cleaners by someone.

Thanks in advance and would look forward to communicating with others who are accepted to the Class of 2013!!!

Sunset

I got my loan offers for LMU in Harragot, Tn. recently. They also included a list of places to apply but are not allowed ( or chose not to) give any indication if one is better than the other. Does anyone have a grip on this loan issue so those of us who are not familiar with these loans will not get taken to the cleaners by someone.

Thanks in advance and would look forward to communicating with others who are accepted to the Class of 2013!!!

Sunset
I would just go with the list they gave if you don't have any other loans. I myself will probably try to use the same lender as undergraduate for sake of ease. But, if they suggested them I would assume they have a good reputation. Just compare the rates and repayment terms to see what fits best. That is all I can say about it. Good Luck and I'll see you in the fall.

The main difference in lenders used to be the incentives offered. Before the economy went to dirt, they would offer different ways to make students want to choose them over another lender. They would deduct 1% of the fee if you paid back with direct debit, no origination fee, etc. According to Pat, there are not going to be very many incentive offers this year. I would go with what was previously stated and choose the same lender you had in undergrad. AFAIK outside that, it doesn't make a difference.

Futuredoc20, I too was waitlisted and have not finished my LOI but I spoke with janette today and was informed that there has been no movement from the waitlist. That was basically the extent of the information I got from her. I asked about my status and she did not respond about my specific status just the overall status of the list...Ahh sitting and waiting, no fun

The main difference in lenders used to be the incentives offered. Before the economy went to dirt, they would offer different ways to make students want to choose them over another lender. They would deduct 1% of the fee if you paid back with direct debit, no origination fee, etc. According to Pat, there are not going to be very many incentive offers this year. I would go with what was previously stated and choose the same lender you had in undergrad. AFAIK outside that, it doesn't make a difference.

I concur.

I've done both Discover and EdAmerica's applications. Neither were too painful. I have used EdAmerica for about everything thus far, and hope they can be a good provider as they are a local company.

For the current students, do you recommend living in Mars apt, university inn, or off campus. What are the pros and cons of each.

so ive been waitlisted and 2 weeks ago i gave them my letter of intent by email. so now, i am wondering, is it appropriate to call/email the school and ask them about my status and remind them how badly i want to go there (cuz i really truly am dying to go here...)

No. I would advise not calling right now. As stated above waitlist movement hasn't started yet so a call probably wouldn't help any more than the LOI you've already sent. Give it a few weeks and once the waitlist starts moving (closer to June) then give them a call.

How are the bookstore prices on campus? Did the current students purchase their books there or did you use amazon, etc.? Also, do you recommend buying books before moving to Harrogate or would it be okay to wait until class starts?

How are the bookstore prices on campus? Did the current students purchase their books there or did you use amazon, etc.? Also, do you recommend buying books before moving to Harrogate or would it be okay to wait until class starts?

I did a price comparison last year (you *might* be able to find it if you search my other posts) and for every book the book store came out more expensive than Amazon, so I got all mine online, but the bookstore has its perks too. They are convenient and you can also put your books on a "tab" that is automatically taken out of your loan money, since you won't have the money in time. I got all of my books over the summer, but I guess you could wait too. I would just go ahead and get the ones mentioned previously on this thread as being useful and wait on the others. You don't want to find out a book is on backorder when you have a test quickly approaching.

This is what I use http://www.gettextbooks.com/
You put in the ISBN and it shows you which website has the book for the lowest price including shipping. I buy some of my books used if the price is drastically less but if the price is pritty similar I just buy them new. It says me a good bit of money so I love the site. The only annoyance I guess would be that I order books from a couple different sites. This doesnt really bother me because I'd rather save some money but I could see how some people wouldn't like that.

Or if you have an iPhone you can take a picture of the cover and find out what the lowest price is. That is, if the commercials are true

The commercials are true. I have an iphone and got that application and it is amazing! Seriously, all you have to do is take a picture and it shows you the lowest price! Incredible!

waitlisters,
I talked to Janette a few days ago and informed me they made the last group of offers and the class would be full if all those offered acceptances took them otherwise they would start looking at the waitlist...hope this helps.... lets keep our fingers crossed
:xf::xf::xf::luck::xf::xf::xf:

I'm about to send my financial award letter back to DCOM. If we are going to go ahead and buy the books, lets say amazon, how do we get our hands on the money to purchase them? Do we go ahead and pay for them with our money and then get reimbursed? Sorry, I'm not really sure how the whole financial aid process works.

Futuredoc20, I too was waitlisted and have not finished my LOI but I spoke with janette today and was informed that there has been no movement from the waitlist. That was basically the extent of the information I got from her. I asked about my status and she did not respond about my specific status just the overall status of the list...Ahh sitting and waiting, no fun
That's about the gist of the response I got from her as well.

waitlisters,
I talked to Janette a few days ago and informed me they made the last group of offers and the class would be full if all those offered acceptances took them otherwise they would start looking at the waitlist...hope this helps.... lets keep our fingers crossed
:xf::xf::xf::luck::xf::xf::xf:
Good info to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.