LMU-DCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a quick question for you all. I am on the waitlist at LMU and its my first choice, the Dean and Janette know that LMU is my first choice. I have already sent in my LOI. I have been accepted at TUCOM-NV. I also have military training this summer so I have to be moved to wherever I am starting school at by June 1st. I want to go to LMU but I'm not sure how long I can wait and hopefully get off the waitlist. I owe another deposit to NV on the 15th of May and I know thats normally when the list will start to move. Anyone have suggestions of what i should do? Should I call and tell Janette this?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a quick question for you all. I am on the waitlist at LMU and its my first choice, the Dean and Janette know that LMU is my first choice. I have already sent in my LOI. I have been accepted at TUCOM-NV. I also have military training this summer so I have to be moved to wherever I am starting school at by June 1st. I want to go to LMU but I'm not sure how long I can wait and hopefully get off the waitlist. I owe another deposit to NV on the 15th of May and I know thats normally when the list will start to move. Anyone have suggestions of what i should do? Should I call and tell Janette this?

Were you accepted there before your LMU-DCOM interview? When I was interviewed, they asked me if I had any acceptances yet and where. I was wondering if anyone else who has been waitlisted at LMU has been asked this in an interview and if it weighs on their decision negatively. Well, I hope you get in off the waitlist!

Yes, I think you contact DCOM and let them know your situation. Perhaps they'll take an extra look at your file which would def be a positive thing. If they are not really concerned with your situation, nothing changes. I think your only outcomes from contacting them would be neutral or positive so why not? Plus, you know I've been rooting for your acceptance all along! :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Definitely give Janette a call...it won't hurt. Also, don't be afraid to lose some money either by securing a med school spot at Touro, but then decide to go to DCOM. I lost a $1500 deposit at LECOM-E when I decided to come here and it was the best $1500 I've ever lost due to coming to DCOM instead....so don't be afraid of that money aspect either.

Hi soccerchicoc,
I wish you the best of luck and I am praying for you too. I agreed with other people in this forum about letting DCOM know your situation. It's absolutely a positive thing because you let them see that DCOM is your first choice even you already got accepted in the other one. Medical school is a hard and long journey, you will be called doctor in 4 more years and people don't care what school you went to. All medical schools are good so do not let one turns you down.
Wish you luck with everything.:xf::D

Hi guys,
I just have a real quick question about LMU-DCOM summertime. Does LMU-DCOM have summer school or research activities which can count for Electives. I know that MD school have it, but not sure if LMU-DCOM does.

Thanks.:D

Last edited:
What did you like about AZCOM vs LMU-DCOM
I just got accepted to LMU and i have an int at AZCOM on the 27th or so... I really liked LMU but i gotta give AZ a fair shake.
how did your AZ interview go?? im thinking of applying there next year. TN is to rural for me

Hi guys,
I just have a real quick question about LMU-DCOM summertime. Does LMU-DCOM have summer school or research activities which can count for Electives. I know that MD school have it, but not sure if LMU-DCOM does.

Thanks.:D

That count for electives? You mean between 2nd and 3rd year or as part of your 3rd or 4th year?

how did your AZ interview go?? im thinking of applying there next year. TN is to rural for me

I think it went really well, I guess I will find out tomorrow though (I think). I really hope I get in there, I have family there and Arizona is Awesome!

That count for electives? You mean between 2nd and 3rd year or as part of your 3rd or 4th year?

To be honest, I am not sure how that works. I used to intern at UTMB- Galveston, and a medical student who just finish his first year, stayed over summer and did the research as it counted for elective courses, Iguess in 3rd or 4th year. That's pretty much for a MD school since they care about research, I don't know about DO school, particularly our school. I just gave a thought about that since summer between first and second year is not long enough to go home. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

To be honest, I am not sure how that works. I used to intern at UTMB- Galveston, and a medical student who just finish his first year, stayed over summer and did the research as it counted for elective courses, Iguess in 3rd or 4th year. That's pretty much for a MD school since they care about research, I don't know about DO school, particularly our school. I just gave a thought about that since summer between first and second year is not long enough to go home. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Ok, gotcha. It doesn't sound like something that LMU-DCOM has set up for after your first year (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but I know a lot of people are doing research this summer. I think they had to set it up on their own and I'm not sure what it counts for. You can do a research rotation I believe in your 3rd and 4th years. Dr. Teitelbaum is our Dean of Research. He might be able to answer your question: [email protected] . Sorry I couldn't be more help. I plan to do as little as possible on my break :D

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is in town this weekend apartment hunting or just checking out the area, the SAA (Student Advocate Association) is having a yard sale to help raise money. It'll be at No Bucks Coffee House from 7am-3pm. The address is 200 Nettleton Rd, right at the base of the pedestrian bridge from LMU campus.

anyone know if dr stowers is in town this week?
do u think its a smart idea to call adn ask>

What day did you interview? It can take anywhere between 1 week and 4 weeks to hear something depending on Doc's schedule and how your interview falls around holidays. I think it takes a little longer this time of year especially, because there are fewer spots and and need to decide carefully to whom those spots should be offered.

Personally, I would advise against calling. If the adcom hasn't met yet, you don't want their last impression to you of calling and being impatient if they told you they would contact you. I know it's a difficult wait, but don't worry, they haven't forgotten about you! Best of luck! :luck:

When did you have your interview? If you just had it recently then give them some more days. Try not to bug them so much, especially at this time when there are only few spots left.

Good luck:xf:

Ok, gotcha. It doesn't sound like something that LMU-DCOM has set up for after your first year (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but I know a lot of people are doing research this summer. I think they had to set it up on their own and I'm not sure what it counts for. You can do a research rotation I believe in your 3rd and 4th years. Dr. Teitelbaum is our Dean of Research. He might be able to answer your question: [email protected] . Sorry I couldn't be more help. I plan to do as little as possible on my break :D

I second that. I debated back and forth about trying to find something productive to do during my break, but I got some advice from a second year friend to do as little as possible, just enjoy my break, because it's supposedly easy to get burned out fast in 2nd year. Can't wait!

Do MSI need to have it for the first year? If yes, which one? and where to buy it? Try to pack stuffs and head to Harrogate for the next 2 weeks.

Thanks

Hey peeps! I think I'll be joining you guys in August!

Just wanted to ask the upperclassmen if there are students in your class from big cities like NYC, and how they are liking Tennessee. (I'm from NYC btw, and I am pretty excited about living in a rural community. I'm just a little nervous about how convenient it would be to buy a car over there (where to buy a car), get a license plate, etc. etc. because its way easier to do that in a city.

Just wanted to ask the upperclassmen if there are students in your class from big cities like NYC, and how they are liking Tennessee. (I'm from NYC btw, and I am pretty excited about living in a rural community. I'm just a little nervous about how convenient it would be to buy a car over there (where to buy a car), get a license plate, etc. etc. because its way easier to do that in a city.

You'll be about an hour away from Knoxville.. which is a big-ish city. There are TONS of car dealerships in the area. Pretty much anything you could ask for, save a lambo (and you might get lucky and find one of those) , would be there somewhere in the immediate area. Shouldn't be too bad. I'm from a small city in TN, so I don't really have much insight as far as moving to a small town. :/ But, shouldn't have a problem with getting a car!

Getting the license plate and DL should be fairly easy. You have to do a little bit of driving to get there but they don't have long lines if a line at all. Compared to getting that stuff done in a big city it takes forever because the lines are so long.
You could easily buy a car in Knoxville since you can probably find every type of car there. There are some dealerships closer than that but the biggest selection would be knox.

We bought our car in Barbourville - Corbin has dealerships too.

Has anyone successfully asked for an extension on their deposit? and how did they go about doing this? I just need another week and I'm stressing....

Has anyone successfully asked for an extension on their deposit? and how did they go about doing this? I just need another week and I'm stressing....

My letter saying I needed to pay the deposit within two weeks didn't have a due date on it. When I called to ask when I needed it in by, they practically asked if I needed a little more time. It takes time for mail to get places from DCOM, so the two weeks starts from a guestimated arrival time of about a week later that's in their computer. Just call and tell them what you need and they'll work with you.

call Janette Martin (.423-869-7102 or [email protected]). in the admissions office. she's pretty responsive to requests for help, and i'm pretty sure most people work out some sort of deposit payment plan... not all of us have $2000 cash in hand :). important thing is just to explain your situation to avoid losing your seat. i had to contact her initially because my letter took two weeks to get to me from harrogate to VA... so mail does take a bit longer. it turns out my due date was a full week later than i calculated, based on when i got my phone call.

My deposit was due in November the 7th and I called to request for an extension of the deadline. It was not a problem. She gave one more week, and I paid on the 15th of November. I will ask them if I was you

Do MSI need to have it for the first year? If yes, which one? and where to buy it? Try to pack stuffs and head to Harrogate for the next 2 weeks.

Thanks

OMS-I will definitely need a diagnostic kit, because you spend the first semester of EPC (essentials of patient care) learning how to use all the tools within one. You can try and track down a diagnostic kit if you so desire, but they will have them for sale at the end of orientation for a significant discount. I think ours was $900 for two ophthalmoscopes (a pan-optic and coaxial), an otoscope, a BP cuff and a tycos master cardiology steth. I'll list below the components of the kit we got

http://www.orsupply.com/product/Welch-Allyn-Tycos-Harvey-Elite-Stethoscope/3569/category/Diagnostic-Instruments/470/category/Stethoscopes/482

http://west-op.com/welal35vcoax.html

http://west-op.com/panoptic.html

http://www.rehaboutlet.com/sphygmomanometers.htm (the first one in the list)

http://www.cwimedical.com/macroview-otoscope.html?=froogle

If, however, you already have one component they can swap that out for you (several people already had a stethoscope and didn't need the one from the kit)

OMS-I will definitely need a diagnostic kit, because you spend the first semester of EPC (essentials of patient care) learning how to use all the tools within one. You can try and track down a diagnostic kit if you so desire, but they will have them for sale at the end of orientation for a significant discount. I think ours was $900 for two ophthalmoscopes (a pan-optic and coaxial), an otoscope, a BP cuff and a tycos master cardiology steth. I'll list below the components of the kit we got

http://www.orsupply.com/product/Welch-Allyn-Tycos-Harvey-Elite-Stethoscope/3569/category/Diagnostic-Instruments/470/category/Stethoscopes/482

If, however, you already have one component they can swap that out for you (several people already had a stethoscope and didn't need the one from the kit)
Did you have the opportunity to buy a lot of things at orientation? And if so, were they all deeply discounted like the diagnostic kit?

Isn't it a bit fancy stethoscope for Med students? I am just curious though. Anyway, I already have 3M 2290 28'' length Littman ostethoscope from my previous medical internships. Is it ok right? Just wanna save 232 dollars for books or something else, j/k:D
Thanks

What people do in orientation day? and what things can buy besides diagnostics kits in that day? Finally, how about scrubs, textbooks? :rolleyes: DCOM bookstore vs. online used books vs. bootleg ones ?:laugh:

Isn't it a bit fancy stethoscope for Med students? I am just curious though. Anyway, I already have 3M 2290 28'' length Littman ostethoscope from my previous medical internships. Is it ok right? Just wanna save 232 dollars for books or something else, j/k:D
Thanks

IMO it's a crummy scope and not worth nearly what it's priced. I think they price it high to make up for the ridiculously nice discount you get on the Panoptic set. That being said I'm a huge Littman fan and already had a scope I'd used for years when I came here.

What people do in orientation day? and what things can buy besides diagnostics kits in that day? Finally, how about scrubs, textbooks? :rolleyes: DCOM bookstore vs. online used books vs. bootleg ones ?:laugh:

Buy used books. Diagnostic kit's will come with almost all you need equipment wise. Scrubs are your choice...whatever works best for you.

Has anyone that interviewed on 3/30 heard anything back or has thought about giving Janette a call? Ive been debating giving her a call on Monday but skeptical about looking bad..The admissions committee met on thursday so they most likely have their decisions made.

Has anyone that interviewed on 3/30 heard anything back or has thought about giving Janette a call? Ive been debating giving her a call on Monday but skeptical about looking bad..The admissions committee met on thursday so they most likely have their decisions made.

I would refer email as a better way of communication. Gently ask her about your admission status. Try not to call them directly. Personally, I think it would bug them and you certainly don't want they feel like that either.

Good luck to you and let us know.:)

Thanks, yea Janette knows me by name now ive spoken with her so much; that was the only reason I was going to call. Maybe i'll just try and be patient at this point (it is very hard however). Hope to be posting some good news in a few days!

So do the current students recommend buying the diag. kit minus the stethoscope and purchasing a better one elsewhere?

Anyone hear any news on the laptops? I'm super excited for a new computer :D

I have been searching on the web for daycare around DCOM and I can't find none. I have three children. one will be in kindergarden and the other are in daycare. If yall have any information on daycare please let me know. I also heard much about Forge Ridge school. If yall heard about it; please share your opinion. I also read that there was a daycare on campus then was closed. Do you know why?

Diagnostic kit's will come with almost all you need equipment wise. Scrubs are your choice...whatever works best for you.

To finish this thought: things like a tuning fork, reflex hammer, pen light are what you'll need to track down on your own. As for scrubs, if you're interested in supporting your fellow students, last year the ortho club sold scrubs as a fundraiser. Just something to keep in mind.

So do the current students recommend buying the diag. kit minus the stethoscope and purchasing a better one elsewhere?

Anyone hear any news on the laptops? I'm super excited for a new computer :D

I just purchased the whole kit, even though I had already received a really nice stethoscope as a gift. I don't know how much I would have gotten off if I had purchased the kit without the stethoscope, but since it was built into our financial aid to get the kit this year, I just decided to get the whole thing, and have an extra stethoscope if I needed it. But in retrospect, if you have a good stethoscope, and they give you a good amount off of the price, I would get it without it. :)

Oh, and you can also buy books during orientation at the book store and have it taken out of your financial aid, in case you feel like you need some of the books before you get your money back (like a week or so into school) But, I would recommend getting used books online- you'll save a lot of money that way.

Dose anyone know if they have stopped interviewing?

I just purchased the whole kit, even though I had already received a really nice stethoscope as a gift. I don't know how much I would have gotten off if I had purchased the kit without the stethoscope, but since it was built into our financial aid to get the kit this year, I just decided to get the whole thing, and have an extra stethoscope if I needed it. But in retrospect, if you have a good stethoscope, and they give you a good amount off of the price, I would get it without it. :)

Oh, and you can also buy books during orientation at the book store and have it taken out of your financial aid, in case you feel like you need some of the books before you get your money back (like a week or so into school) But, I would recommend getting used books online- you'll save a lot of money that way.

When's the booklist gonna be available on school website? BTW, do you know if school apartment has wireless internet?
Thanks

When's the booklist gonna be available on school website? BTW, do you know if school apartment has wireless internet?
Thanks

In my humble opinion, these are the books I'd get (regardless of the book list)

MGA- sign up with SOMA for the free Netters, then buy Lange's Roadmap for the USMLE by White and the BRS anatomy by Won Chung

FMHC- Study Guide to Epidemiology and Biostatistics by Hebel and McCarter

MFM I- Marks' Basic Medical Biochemistry, Lippencott's Illustrated reviews: Biochemistry

And yes, the med school apartments have wireless internet

oh ok...that makes me feel kind of better reading thru this page that im not the only one that hasnt heard...i interviewed the 23rd, tho i dont want to ask about my admissions status or anything..i really dont want it to look bad...im nervous...

Hi guys,
Booklist is available. There is like a ton of books. I want to ask if we need to buy all of them (except recommended ones). Moreover, can I use some older edition ones since my brother toook them couple years ago?

Thanks

Definitely give Janette a call...it won't hurt. Also, don't be afraid to lose some money either by securing a med school spot at Touro, but then decide to go to DCOM. I lost a $1500 deposit at LECOM-E when I decided to come here and it was the best $1500 I've ever lost due to coming to DCOM instead....so don't be afraid of that money aspect either.

Why did you reject LECOM-E? I have recently been accepted to LMU-DCOM but have another interview at LECOM-E in one week. I also have another interview at A.T. Still SOMA but I don't like their PBL cirriculum. Any advice on LECOM-E would really help me make my decision!

I live in Dallas! you might as well call me a city girl!

I'm not sure what you will be interviewing for. What I can tell you is I interviewed March 10th, and they told me they had about 30 spots remaining. I know they have done a lot more interviewing since, and I'm not sure how many positions have been filled. Hope this helps a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.