Lifestyle and Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JimBeezie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please comment on how the lifestyle and salary varies between the different neurosurgical subspecialties?

Tumor, vascular (with and without endovascular), spine, peds, functional, etc

Members don't see this ad.

Lifestyle varies little since call is usually shared equally amongst all the neurosurgeons in a group, not by specialty; except for Peds. There are a lot of kids with shunts and shunts go bad, and very few pediatric neurosurgeons to fix them.

I should also add that in general spine patients are less sick and require less acute care post-operatively than crani cases.

Salary might differ but I don't know. Certainly in private practice spine is very lucrative.

My pops says neurosurgeons have the highest malpractice, the highest stress (with only a few left, they never have much time for personal life anymore), are the most unappreciated and are now becoming underpaid for the type of sophisticated work they do. He jokes that this specialty won't exist once his generation dies out. My poor daddy. =(
I would not recommend anyone to be a neurosurgeon after listening to all my dad's stories (and he wouldn't either).
His stories have contributed to my cynisism.

PS: he's a neurosurgeon

Members don't see this ad :)
Deli422 said:
My pops says neurosurgeons have the highest malpractice, the highest stress (with only a few left, they never have much time for personal life anymore), are the most unappreciated and are now becoming underpaid for the type of sophisticated work they do. He jokes that this specialty won't exist once his generation dies out. My poor daddy. =(
I would not recommend anyone to be a neurosurgeon after listening to all my dad's stories (and he wouldn't either).
His stories have contributed to my cynisism.

PS: he's a neurosurgeon

whats it like being the child of a neurosurgeon? did you spend much time with him? i'm impressed that you are interested in medicine at all! the children of the neurosurgeons i know hate medicine, especially neurosurgery!

mpp said:
Lifestyle varies little since call is usually shared equally amongst all the neurosurgeons in a group, not by specialty; except for Peds. There are a lot of kids with shunts and shunts go bad, and very few pediatric neurosurgeons to fix them.

I should also add that in general spine patients are less sick and require less acute care post-operatively than crani cases.

Salary might differ but I don't know. Certainly in private practice spine is very lucrative.

At your insititution, what is resident and attending call like? What are the typical/average work hours? Thanks.

Why does you dad stay in it?

What's call like for a pp neurosurgeon? What are their typical days like?