Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swimmer101

Reaction score
I had a question about choosing letters of Rec. Earlier this semester I asked a science professor and a liberal arts professor to write me a letter of rec. At the same time, I also applied for a Pre-Health Commitee letter which I only find out late May or early June if they will write one for me. I recently found out that the committee letter counts as 3 letters and the maximum on the application is 4. How do I go about choosing which other letter of rec goes on the application. I was also planning on getting one from the dentist I have been shadowing at. Is there a way that my professors or dentist can send the letter of rec to schools in addition to the 4 I choose for the application. To that point which 4 would you put in the application (Committee, Science, Liberal Arts, Dentist) Sorry I know that was a lot all at once.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools will tell you that if you have the option for a committee letter, they would prefer that over multiple letters. I would see how long it takes for the committee letter to be sent because sometimes it can take weeks to write. Which can push your application completion date into later into the cycle. Which isn't ideal.

If the committee letter is going to take a while, I would go with individual letters, which case you will need another science prof. This combo should get you to cover 90% of all school requirements: 2 science profs, with one preferably in your major, 1 non science (liberal arts, dentist, religious advisor, etc), and then a supervisor letter (research, volunteer, job, etc).

If you go with the committee letter and have the dentist or other prof to fill the 4th letter requirement, you can have a 5th letter (no more than 5 from my understanding) be sent to each school individually from the letter writer themselves. Go with the writers who know you the best and can talk about your abilities in and out of the classroom.

Thank you for your advice! For the 5th letter how would that professor send the letter? Is that just emailing the admissions saying they have a letter of rec for me or there is a specific way?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your advice! For the 5th letter how would that professor send the letter? Is that just emailing the admissions saying they have a letter of rec for me or there is a specific way?
It will depend on the school, but usually you'd email asking if they accept additional letters outside of AADSAS, which email they would like the letter to be sent to, and what they require the letter writer to have on the letter. Usually, it needs to be signed, dated, and on official letterhead.

Some schools will tell you that if you have the option for a committee letter, they would prefer that over multiple letters. I would see how long it takes for the committee letter to be sent because sometimes it can take weeks to write. Which can push your application completion date into later into the cycle. Which isn't ideal.

If the committee letter is going to take a while, I would go with individual letters, which case you will need another science prof. This combo should get you to cover 90% of all school requirements: 2 science profs, with one preferably in your major, 1 non science (liberal arts, dentist, religious advisor, etc), and then a supervisor letter (research, volunteer, job, etc).

If you go with the committee letter and have the dentist or other prof to fill the 4th letter requirement, you can have a 5th letter (no more than 5 from my understanding) be sent to each school individually from the letter writer themselves. Go with the writers who know you the best and can talk about your abilities in and out of the classroom.

It will depend on the school, but usually you'd email asking if they accept additional letters outside of AADSAS, which email they would like the letter to be sent to, and what they require the letter writer to have on the letter. Usually, it needs to be signed, dated, and on official letterhead.
That’s a good plan. I am just realizing now that all of the schools have different requirements if I am forced to take the individual route which is why it may be necessary for me to reach out and find out

Reactions: 1 users
AADSAS sets up receiving letters of evaluation in this manner (unless it changed, so check the help documentation):
1) Committee letter PLUS ONE additional solicited letter; OR
2) Four solicited letters (fixed when you submit your primary)

Only one of these options is available. Most schools won't accept solicited letters sent outside of AADSAS unless you get interviewed (you must check with them).

Ideally your committee letter should include as many solicited letters (or their feedback) as possible as permitted by the institution.

Timing of the receipt of committee letter does not affect the decision-making timeline since first offers go out in December (unlike medical school admissions where offers begin in October soon after interviews begin).

Reactions: 1 user
Does that mean the committee letter can be added to the application at any point? Even after submitting
AADSAS sets up receiving letters of evaluation in this manner (unless it changed, so check the help documentation):
1) Committee letter PLUS ONE additional solicited letter; OR
2) Four solicited letters (fixed when you submit your primary)

Only one of these options is available. Most schools won't accept solicited letters sent outside of AADSAS unless you get interviewed (you must check with them).

Ideally your committee letter should include as many solicited letters (or their feedback) as possible as permitted by the institution.

Timing of the receipt of committee letter does not affect the decision-making timeline since first offers go out in December (unlike medical school admissions where offers begin in October soon after interviews begin).

Does that mean the committee letter can be added to the application at any point? Even after submitting
I'm not sure what you mean by "at any point" since you have to declare the committee letter and contact information when you submit.

What I mean is, is the application accepted once you send out the forms or only when all of the letters of rec have actually been loaded in and submitted by the professors. Sorry for the confusion

What I mean is, is the application accepted once you send out the forms or only when all of the letters of rec have actually been loaded in and submitted by the professors. Sorry for the confusion
Most schools will consider your submission as complete once all letters are received, but screening can occur beforehand.

That makes sense. Is it recommended to wait until all are submitted or its fine to submit prior. Sorry for all the questions

That makes sense. Is it recommended to wait until all are submitted or its fine to submit prior. Sorry for all the questions
Submit the items you can control. Many committee letters are sent later (August/September), and most schools are aware and can adjust.