General Admissions & OTCAS Lessons I learned for the next application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CoastalOT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I learned some very important lessons for the next time I apply if I don't get in somewhere this cycle:

1- Get everything in early. As early as possible. Early.

2- References:
This is a pain. Non OTCAS programs require different references, number of references, types of references etc. Try to do your requests in one hit to all the people you are asking, e.g. compile the list of programs you are applying to send all reference requests out in one hit. Make sure you do it EARLY. Allow for 3-4 months minimum for the references to be completed. I have had professors who have flaked out, simply stopped responding, some just don't care they are busy with their own lives.

3- Write a very very good essay. Proof read it and tailor fit it to the program you are applying to.

4- Shadow in more than one "area". I did nearly 100 hours of shadowing but I "only" did acute care setting and a peds setting. I think it's be great to get neuro, etc. different settings.

5- Send all materials in at once if at all possible. I've been emailing, emailing and calling one program I applied to only to be told to "hold tight" and that I would receive an email once my application materials were processed. I was never emailed, and I was told that my application was likely missing a component. It was not. I received an email later that week that all materials were there. God know how far down I moved in the stack of applicants because of this mistake. My advice is to send all items in ONE big envelope: references, transcripts, essay, application materials via registered mail.

This is what I have learned so far. I did not apply to schools that require the GRE on principle, I felt as if it is nothing more than a glorified IQ test. If I have to apply again next time around I will likely take the GRE. In the meantime I will try to get a position in rehab therapy even if it is as a medical assistant part time.

I hope these ideas help any of you out there.

Members don't see this ad.

Agreed. I was nervous about not getting in but now I know that a year off would be helpful. I might get into better schools. Retake GRE. It DOES matter. Another year of volunteering will give me more hours, better references. Work on my essays. I had one school I really wanted to get into, I worked really hard on that application and not as much on the others. I have actually changed my mind about some of the schools that I should have applied to. Where I wanna go, and researching which ones will be best for the area I want not just the rankings. :)

as stupid and ridiculous as it sounds, i read a scholarly article on grad school admissions (written by someone who was on the admissions committee for a grad program at stanford) which talked about the reasons why the GRE was important to them (obviously not to all programs, but to some). from the grad committee point of view the GRE gave a universal way for them to to rank applicants versus looking at their GPA. the writer of the article stated that although using the GRE wasn't perfect, most grad committees understand that a 4.0 at one school might not be the same as a 4.0 at another school - for example a hard-working, intelligent candidate at really tough school X might get a 3.4 GPA while another candidate who might not be as hard-working or smart might get a 3.9 at not-so-tough school Y. the gre equalizes the playing field a little bit to compare candidates when it might otherwise be impossible. the writer of the article went on to explain that obviously GPA is still a big factor, but his point was to shed light on why the GRE is important to some programs.

obviously it's a debateable topic with no right or wrong way to look at the GRE...but for me personally i used the GRE to show that yes, i am smart and can work hard despite my past mistakes and some poor grades i received in class. i think that taking the GRE seriously is something any applicant should think about, especially if you don't have that perfect cumulative GPA and pre-req GPA.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
as stupid and ridiculous as it sounds, i read a scholarly article on grad school admissions (written by someone who was on the admissions committee for a grad program at stanford) which talked about the reasons why the GRE was important to them (obviously not to all programs, but to some). from the grad committee point of view the GRE gave a universal way for them to to rank applicants versus looking at their GPA. the writer of the article stated that although using the GRE wasn't perfect, most grad committees understand that a 4.0 at one school might not be the same as a 4.0 at another school - for example a hard-working, intelligent candidate at really tough school X might get a 3.4 GPA while another candidate who might not be as hard-working or smart might get a 3.9 at not-so-tough school Y. the gre equalizes the playing field a little bit to compare candidates when it might otherwise be impossible. the writer of the article went on to explain that obviously GPA is still a big factor, but his point was to shed light on why the GRE is important to some programs.

obviously it's a debateable topic with no right or wrong way to look at the GRE...but for me personally i used the GRE to show that yes, i am smart and can work hard despite my past mistakes and some poor grades i received in class. i think that taking the GRE seriously is something any applicant should think about, especially if you don't have that perfect cumulative GPA and pre-req GPA.
Wow thanks for this info you are awesome, I actually agree with this committee member's point of view, just to add to it, some students are just students and do not have near as many extra-curricular engagements as some of their peers. This means that the student with less extra-curricular involvement will have more time to study to make better grades on certain subjects that just require a lot of time to master no matter how smart you are. Does this mean they are more capable for grad school from an academic stand-point than their extra-curricular active peers? Not necessarily, take away some of those extra-curricular activities from driven individuals and give them more time to study and "voila" some of those Bs they had to work hard to get become As in no time. Instead of assuming this is true for everyone schools just throw in the GRE to let individuals of all kinds of situations and backgrounds tell the true story of their academic potential.

I learned some very important lessons for the next time I apply if I don't get in somewhere this cycle:

2- References:
This is a pain. Non OTCAS programs require different references, number of references, types of references etc. Try to do your requests in one hit to all the people you are asking, e.g. compile the list of programs you are applying to send all reference requests out in one hit. Make sure you do it EARLY. Allow for 3-4 months minimum for the references to be completed. I have had professors who have flaked out, simply stopped responding, some just don't care they are busy with their own lives.

3- Write a very very good essay. Proof read it and tailor fit it to the program you are applying to.

4- Shadow in more than one "area". I did nearly 100 hours of shadowing but I "only" did acute care setting and a peds setting. I think it's be great to get neuro, etc. different settings.

5- Send all materials in at once if at all possible. I've been emailing, emailing and calling one program I applied to only to be told to "hold tight" and that I would receive an email once my application materials were processed. I was never emailed, and I was told that my application was likely missing a component. It was not. I received an email later that week that all materials were there. God know how far down I moved in the stack of applicants because of this mistake. My advice is to send all items in ONE big envelope: references, transcripts, essay, application materials via registered mail.

This is what I have learned so far. I did not apply to schools that require the GRE on principle, I felt as if it is nothing more than a glorified IQ test. If I have to apply again next time around I will likely take the GRE. In the meantime I will try to get a position in rehab therapy even if it is as a medical assistant part time.

to add on…

6. Visit schools you are highly interested in. Make sure the admissions counsellor or someone of importance knows you were there and knows how passionate you are about OT. Some schools might be far, which is unfortunate, or be costly in travel to attend. It is definitely worth your time.

7. Make an excel spreadsheet/something similar with all the schools you are applying to, pre-reqs required, tuition, when they start, length of program, how far from home, extra papers needed, GRE scores they want, what GRE scores they look at if you take the GRE more than 1x, what GPA they want, their deadlines, rolling or not, when you will hear back, if they have interviews, who uses OTCAS and who doesn’t, how many people they accept outside of their accelerate class (if it is 1 or 2 students it probably is not worth your time to apply). I started researching OT in winter of 2013 and took time to call each school about the specifics. Made it much easier to know where to spend my money and time. Excel made it easier to compare my own grades/scores and I was able to color code what I needed and such.

8. references cont’d: suggestions…..Gather all forms for your references. Give it to them in an envelope with specific directions and due dates. Programs want papers at different times. It is easiest to have your references give them to you all at once, especially if they only have to write 1 essay and copy it several times. Most schools have forms. Save it to your computer, then on Adobe fill in as much information as you can…like your boss’s work address and email. As OSU789 said they can be flaky. Send email reminders or approach them face-face half way before your deadline, then a few weeks before your deadline…then keep on them. Your future depends on their references.

9. GRE and GPA: your GRE and GPA can make or break your application. Some schools look at your GRE and GPA and if they aren’t suitable you are immediately out. I don’t mean to scare anyone, but schools are receiving many applications. Do your best. Take your GRE early enough so if you have to retake it, you have time. Most schools want 50% in both categories usually 150 verbal and 150 quantitative and 4.0 writing. I believe there is another test some schools accept, the MAT or something of that acroynm. I took the GRE after I graduated undergrad and my GPA was fine. However, if your GPA is below what they are asking for, try taking a class over.

10. got to AOTA.org for all info on OT. They have all accredited and non-accredited programs by state, along with other countless information.

11. Keep your sanity. I have definitely cried and have gotten stressed out in this whole process. Stay organized, remind yourself why you are doing this, and remember you will end up where you are supposed to. If you do everything you are supposed to, the rest will work it self out. You can only do your part, and the rest if up to the schools.

Reactions: 1 user
11. Is most important. I feel that sometimes it's waivering through this whole process lol.
It's not easy to do all of this, but everything in lifer that is worth doing is hard. I honestly believe that if you take the approach you laid out (6-11) you will get into *a* program. Sometimes things do not happen in the chronology in which we want them to happen; it's ok. I'll live if I don't get in somewhere this cycle.

I think the advice regarding a scholarly article is *amazing* advice. I'm not sure how someone who has graduated from college and is just taking pre-reqs can team up on a scholarly article. Sage advice nonetheless.

I do a great deal of community service. I think it's good for your moral composition (and looks good on applications too). I know that I can do a lot of good in the world, and if an OT admissions committee doesn't agree, well, I'll do that good elsewhere. I'm going to give this 110%, next time around, if I have to apply again. I am still hoping for the best.

My backup plan is to pursue a psychology MA or PsyD. It's not a perfect plan, and it's riddled with many obstacles as well.

@ExceptionalSea: You'll be hard pressed to find a psychologist who thinks standardized testing is an empirical measure of intelligence. It measures your ability to take standardized tests. I don't care for them. I think they are shallow measures of my ability to function as a student. That said, we need to have some measurements, and departments want to find something that is a "universal" litmus test. The GRE is a culturally biased metric, it weights certain information and learning/knowing information in a way which is rarely relevant to academic success.

It *is* extremely stressful to think that if you had applied to OT for a program to be a clinician before 2007 you would simply need a bachelor's degree, and years before that you needed an associates degree. If I met someone who knew this is what he/she wanted to do with their life early on I would implore them to find a 5 year combination program which is offered at so many schools. There is absolutely no way that I would pursue occupational therapy if a "doctorate" was the entry level degree as it currently is with physical therapy. PTs will not make more money than OT's and I am not sure how schools/the governing accred. associations can justify this as a requirement for a practitioner's degree. Why exactly would someone get a "doctorate" in PT when the person can get an associates or bachelor's degree in nursing and make roughly the same amount of money with a lot less debt incurred? I know that my complaining will not change these facts, but it is certainly something I am thinking about as I pursue this degree.

@ExceptionalSea: You'll be hard pressed to find a psychologist who thinks standardized testing is an empirical measure of intelligence. It measures your ability to take standardized tests. I don't care for them. I think they are shallow measures of my ability to function as a student. That said, we need to have some measurements, and departments want to find something that is a "universal" litmus test. The GRE is a culturally biased metric, it weights certain information and learning/knowing information in a way which is rarely relevant to academic success.

It *is* extremely stressful to think that if you had applied to OT for a program to be a clinician before 2007 you would simply need a bachelor's degree, and years before that you needed an associates degree. If I met someone who knew this is what he/she wanted to do with their life early on I would implore them to find a 5 year combination program which is offered at so many schools. There is absolutely no way that I would pursue occupational therapy if a "doctorate" was the entry level degree as it currently is with physical therapy. PTs will not make more money than OT's and I am not sure how schools/the governing accred. associations can justify this as a requirement for a practitioner's degree. Why exactly would someone get a "doctorate" in PT when the person can get an associates or bachelor's degree in nursing and make roughly the same amount of money with a lot less debt incurred? I know that my complaining will not change these facts, but it is certainly something I am thinking about as I pursue this degree.

i am aware of the limitations of the GRE and as someone who is 1. not white 2. not male 3. first-generation american, am definitely aware of cultural biases in standardized testing. i distinctly recall taking a state-standardized exam when i was child for which the verbal portion did a comparison using the sport "polo". i had no idea what polo was and no idea how to answer the question. looking back, i definitely know that this is an example of cultural bias right there - someone who has never been exposed to polo and didn't know what it was would have no idea how to answer the question, no matter how intelligent they were.

that being said, the point of my post was to merely pass along information i had read about why the GRE is important to some grad programs. and like it or not, it's still a part of grad school admissions. so you can choose to argue and waste your time debating...or you can take what's available and make the best of it.

Ha, I'm not a minority demographic in the US, but I don't know anything about polo either. That's a crummy thing to bring up on a standardized test!

2- References:

So what schools are you going to apply to next year? Well this year because schools that use OTCAS opens up in July of this year. I agree with you that the GRE is basically an glorified IQ test but what I've been noticing schools have been enforcing test for anything. I've notice that applying to OTA programs have a test for you to take if you get accepted to see if you are prepared for their program. I feel like Colleges and Universities will implement so many test that they wont even know the students other qualities. I work with children ages six weeks to five years of age. I've seen parents pull their child out during the preschool years and put them in a competitive learning atmosphere and you want to know what they are teaching their children on what to do?? How to take test.....CRAZY how time is changing and some people don't even know its going on......Sad.....Well Good Luck to you. I guess if I don't get an good GRE score.....I'm not prepared for their program.....

Right I agree. I will retake it next year. I ended up getting an interview with my first choice school. But, interview is not in and if I take a year off then I will focus a lot of my time and energy into the GRE. My score was completely average. So that is how schools will view me. My GPA is already good but fine tuning on GRE and other things will help.

to add on…

6. Visit schools you are highly interested in. Make sure the admissions counsellor or someone of importance knows you were there and knows how passionate you are about OT. Some schools might be far, which is unfortunate, or be costly in travel to attend. It is definitely worth your time.

7. Make an excel spreadsheet/something similar with all the schools you are applying to, pre-reqs required, tuition, when they start, length of program, how far from home, extra papers needed, GRE scores they want, what GRE scores they look at if you take the GRE more than 1x, what GPA they want, their deadlines, rolling or not, when you will hear back, if they have interviews, who uses OTCAS and who doesn’t, how many people they accept outside of their accelerate class (if it is 1 or 2 students it probably is not worth your time to apply). I started researching OT in winter of 2013 and took time to call each school about the specifics. Made it much easier to know where to spend my money and time. Excel made it easier to compare my own grades/scores and I was able to color code what I needed and such.

8. references cont’d: suggestions…..Gather all forms for your references. Give it to them in an envelope with specific directions and due dates. Programs want papers at different times. It is easiest to have your references give them to you all at once, especially if they only have to write 1 essay and copy it several times. Most schools have forms. Save it to your computer, then on Adobe fill in as much information as you can…like your boss’s work address and email. As OSU789 said they can be flaky. Send email reminders or approach them face-face half way before your deadline, then a few weeks before your deadline…then keep on them. Your future depends on their references.

9. GRE and GPA: your GRE and GPA can make or break your application. Some schools look at your GRE and GPA and if they aren’t suitable you are immediately out. I don’t mean to scare anyone, but schools are receiving many applications. Do your best. Take your GRE early enough so if you have to retake it, you have time. Most schools want 50% in both categories usually 150 verbal and 150 quantitative and 4.0 writing. I believe there is another test some schools accept, the MAT or something of that acroynm. I took the GRE after I graduated undergrad and my GPA was fine. However, if your GPA is below what they are asking for, try taking a class over.

10. got to AOTA.org for all info on OT. They have all accredited and non-accredited programs by state, along with other countless information.

11. Keep your sanity. I have definitely cried and have gotten stressed out in this whole process. Stay organized, remind yourself why you are doing this, and remember you will end up where you are supposed to. If you do everything you are supposed to, the rest will work it self out. You can only do your part, and the rest if up to the schools.

good stuff.

Or sociologist. My brother in law is hates the test from a sociological perspective. can't talk about it without a face off. i agree. i am horrible at test taking which is why i focused on other things. but. i know now that if i would have received a higher score than my options would have been better. it sucks. the two schools i applied to that don't go off GRE, i got interviews for. my scores weren't awful but this year the candidates had great scores so i was probably not even considered.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Even though empirical research shows the test is biased, measures little more than the ability to take a test, and is a poor metric of student abilities, don't expect programs to stop using it. It is just one metric, but it's frustrating that many schools (in Texas for instance) have a 3.9-3.95 GPA average. Why is it that programs have us go through OTCAS only to charge us a "supplemental fee" on top of the OTCAS application fee? This fee can be up to 100 or more. Applications, the GRE exam, etc are often part of a cash crop for departments and these testing services. It's just a reality that students have to deal with I think.

If I have done tons of community service, have a good GPA, and have excellent references and I can't break into this field I can and will take my abilities elsewhere. Those of us who want to get into OT - I hope- are not here for the big bucks. This job will pay about 60k a year, disregard the idea that you'll be pulling 70k unless you live in an expensive part of the country.

This field still has a massive gender imbalance that would be considered unacceptable in other fields (medicine, law, and yes engineering) and few people see it as a pressing problem. I would posit that the sexism in our culture relegates OT to a "woman's job" and thus this isn't seen as a major issue that needs to be addressed. Nursing has largely addressed the issue and has managed to recruit men into the ranks at much higher numbers than OT has. Engineering departments in our country would salivate at the opportunity to recruit women candidates applying to their programs. I've found that few departments are really concerned with establishing a more equal gender ratio. I've seen departments where everyone, and yes I mean every student, is a woman. This is a problem.

It *is* worth all this stress or I would not be working this hard; but there will come a point where one has to say: is it really worth this? The cost benefit analysis will come into play: programs tuition vs. not a high salary vs. the extreme competition to get into the field. I am here because of my motivation to help others and make a difference in patients' lives, if I wasn't, I surely could find a program that makes more money and requires a similar debt load.

If anyone is independently wealthy, has a 4.0 GPA and perfect GRE score and 300 hours of shadowing in 5 different subsections of OT I would strongly encourage you to go into OT without so much as a second thought. I would also ask this super qualified candidate why she/he does not apply to a PA program and make 30k more a year, incur a similar amount of debt, and still help others. If the person really is fascinated by the approach OT takes and the way you help others with OT: they're in it for the right reasons.

I understand some of you will find this "whining" annoying, but these are relevant concerns that most people have to think about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
The first time I applied and was denied I refocused my efforts toward personal improvement and not toward criticism of the profession, but to each his own. I will include part of my response to a private message I received asking for what I did to become more competitive:

Once I received my rejection and composed myself mentally, I tried to take a very critical look at my application and change it to the best possible application I could deliver. My mindset was to not give them an excuse to reject me, to make it so good that they don't have a choice but to accept me. Some of the actual things I did:
  1. Retook pre-reqs where I didn't get an A.
  2. Retook the GRE to be significantly above their minimums.
  3. Gathered one more letter of recommendation and made sure it was stellar.
  4. Gathered one more volunteer experience letter and made sure it was stellar.
  5. Heavily edited my essay (peer and professor reviewed several times).
  6. Made sure to do research on the school's OT program to better answer the question "why us?" in the application.
  7. Applied at 10am the day the application period started (rolling admissions)
I also did some other things which may have impacted their decision, but not too sure:
  1. Included my CV as part of my packet.
  2. Included a sample (sheet of paper) as part of a project I'm working related to occupational therapy.
  3. Attended the school's departmental events and brown bags to network with professors and other professionals.
As you can see, I probably went overboard but it was consistent with my mentality of forcing them to accept me ;) but I still think the most important did I do was applying right when the gates opened on Oct 1st.

I hope my approach helps someone that didn't receive a favorable decision this year to become the best applicant for next year :)

Reactions: 1 users
The first time I applied and was denied I refocused my efforts toward personal improvement and not toward criticism of the profession, but to each his own. I will include part of my response to a private message I received asking for what I did to become more competitive:

It's not an either or. You can do both. I will. There are some valid criticisms of the profession, and I feel they are valid or I wouldn't have stated them. I also will dedicate myself to being a better applicant next time around if I don't get in this time around. If that doesn't work, then I will have a plan B. To otherwise would not be smart.

Even though empirical research shows the test is biased, measures little more than the ability to take a test, and is a poor metric of student abilities, don't expect programs to stop using it. It is just one metric, but it's frustrating that many schools (in Texas for instance) have a 3.9-3.95 GPA average. Why is it that programs have us go through OTCAS only to charge us a "supplemental fee" on top of the OTCAS application fee? This fee can be up to 100 or more. Applications, the GRE exam, etc are often part of a cash crop for departments and these testing services. It's just a reality that students have to deal with I think.

If I have done tons of community service, have a good GPA, and have excellent references and I can't break into this field I can and will take my abilities elsewhere. Those of us who want to get into OT - I hope- are not here for the big bucks. This job will pay about 60k a year, disregard the idea that you'll be pulling 70k unless you live in an expensive part of the country.

This field still has a massive gender imbalance that would be considered unacceptable in other fields (medicine, law, and yes engineering) and few people see it as a pressing problem. I would posit that the sexism in our culture relegates OT to a "woman's job" and thus this isn't seen as a major issue that needs to be addressed. Nursing has largely addressed the issue and has managed to recruit men into the ranks at much higher numbers than OT has. Engineering departments in our country would salivate at the opportunity to recruit women candidates applying to their programs. I've found that few departments are really concerned with establishing a more equal gender ratio. I've seen departments where everyone, and yes I mean every student, is a woman. This is a problem.

It *is* worth all this stress or I would not be working this hard; but there will come a point where one has to say: is it really worth this? The cost benefit analysis will come into play: programs tuition vs. not a high salary vs. the extreme competition to get into the field. I am here because of my motivation to help others and make a difference in patients' lives, if I wasn't, I surely could find a program that makes more money and requires a similar debt load.

If anyone is independently wealthy, has a 4.0 GPA and perfect GRE score and 300 hours of shadowing in 5 different subsections of OT I would strongly encourage you to go into OT without so much as a second thought. I would also ask this super qualified candidate why she/he does not apply to a PA program and make 30k more a year, incur a similar amount of debt, and still help others. If the person really is fascinated by the approach OT takes and the way you help others with OT: they're in it for the right reasons.

I understand some of you will find this "whining" annoying, but these are relevant concerns that most people have to think about.
I completely agree.

I got into UIC, Rush, and Midwestern without an excessive amount of shadowing (<100 hours), a GPA of 3.6, and only a "solid" GRE score (312). I don't even have half my prerequisites done, still. I don't think of myself as exceptional. You don't have to be an absolute genius to get into OT schools. If you have a great GPA, great shadowing experience, etc... then you're flat out blowing the interviews or the essays. Sorry, that's just the only explanation there is - especially if you're a guy, as OT schools are desperate to attempt to balance their gender ratios.

This admission process is competitive, but it's not rigged and it is beatable.

I got into UIC, Rush, and Midwestern without an excessive amount of shadowing (<100 hours), a GPA of 3.6, and only a "solid" GRE score (312). I don't even have half my prerequisites done, still. I don't think of myself as exceptional. You don't have to be an absolute genius to get into OT schools. If you have a great GPA, great shadowing experience, etc... then you're flat out blowing the interviews or the essays. Sorry, that's just the only explanation there is - especially if you're a guy, as OT schools are desperate to attempt to balance their gender ratios.

i hate to be snarky but...i have to agree a little bit with inari87 on this one. my cumulative gpa is a 2.84 (i do have a much better pre-req gpa) and i've been accepted to one school so far. (i might get rejected from all other 4 schools i applied to, but you only need one!). i spent A LOT of time on my personal statement and supplemental essays, and really thought and pontificated about why i wanted OT, how i got to that decision, why i would be a good OT, etc. i was also very specific about my experiences in my essays and had many, many people proofread. i have to agree that if someone is not getting in to at least one school with a very high GPA and pre-req GPA than one of their other factors has to be off. also watch out for your LORs...you'll find a lot of advice and information around that admissions committees actually receive quite a few bad LORs, unbeknownst to the applicant. make sure the people you are asking to write your LORs are people that can write a GOOD LOR.

Wow you got accepted into a program already......Well you have a high gpa...my gpa is near a 3.0.....your GRE score is great too...

i hate to be snarky but...i have to agree a little bit with inari87 on this one. my cumulative gpa is a 2.84 (i do have a much better pre-req gpa) and i've been accepted to one school so far. (i might get rejected from all other 4 schools i applied to, but you only need one!). i spent A LOT of time on my personal statement and supplemental essays, and really thought and pontificated about why i wanted OT, how i got to that decision, why i would be a good OT, etc. i was also very specific about my experiences in my essays and had many, many people proofread. i have to agree that if someone is not getting in to at least one school with a very high GPA and pre-req GPA than one of their other factors has to be off. also watch out for your LORs...you'll find a lot of advice and information around that admissions committees actually receive quite a few bad LORs, unbeknownst to the applicant. make sure the people you are asking to write your LORs are people that can write a GOOD LOR.
Congrats on getting into a OT program. You inspired me. I hear of people bragging about their gpa but some people who have high gpa's don't work at all and don't have any other responsibilities. I didn't say all but the ones I come across fits this description. I work 40 hours a week and sometimes had a part time job while in school. I believe I will get into OT school but I may get some rejections letters in the process. I'm not giving up. I work with children since 2005 to now. I've also worked with children who have special needs. I'm also getting my CNA license to work at a rehabilitation hospital. I feel like my grades aren't marvelous but I have a great work ethnic and other qualities I can bring to the table. I believe some schools just look at the person GPA/GRE score and say well this person will make a wonderful applicant because they have an high gpa and their GRE score is amazing. Just because someone has a decent GPA/GRE score doesn't mean they will make a great OT. I've seen in my past observations of an OTA getting fired because of her lousy work ethnic. The OTA wasn't seeing all of her patients. I have a compassion for OT. I love helping others. I feel great when I put a smile on someone's face. I know some people think I don't have a chance. I believe in Jesus and he will have the last say on this.

Something I wish I knew earlier - if you have multiple schools sending transcripts, OTCAS won't look at ANY of them until ALL are there. One of my transcripts was delayed because of snow/school closings etc. So it didn't matter that my first transcript had been sitting around for two weeks.

Wow you got accepted into a program already......Well you have a high gpa...my gpa is near a 3.0.....your GRE score is great too...

My post was directed at one specific person who was saying they didn't get in despite having a very high GPA. Don't imagine an insult where there is none.

My post was directed at one specific person who was saying they didn't get in despite having a very high GPA. Don't imagine an insult where there is none.
None taken...I wasn't trying to be rude....I just hear of people with high GPA's bragging...I'm not saying you are bragging....I've visit a school name Rockhurst University for their Health Professions Open house and the lady of the program took one look at my grades....and she didn't say anything after that......I just wish some schools can look pass the GPA...I'm not saying that its not important but I've other qualities then those who are applying who has high gpa.

None taken...I wasn't trying to be rude....I just hear of people with high GPA's bragging...I'm not saying you are bragging....I've visit a school name Rockhurst University for their Health Professions Open house and the lady of the program took one look at my grades....and she didn't say anything after that......I just wish some schools can look pass the GPA...I'm not saying that its not important but I've other qualities then those who are applying who has high gpa.

I don't want to be too critical, but think about this. Most of what OT's do is write. You're writing for Medicare/Medicaid, writing up routines, writing grants, writing for your bosses so that they know what you're up to all day. I've seen many of your posts on here, and pretty much every one has some spelling and grammar errors. Not saying that you'll need be an OT, but you need to take the academics more seriously. The goal isn't to get into school, it's to be a good OT, and to do that, you're going to have to improve your communication skills. I really hope that you can get in the field though! You seem very passionate!

I appreciate your perspective, but the reality is that they need to screen people somehow. Part of becoming an OT is succeeding in a difficult, science heavy graduate school program. Being able to do well in the classes leading up to that program is about the only thing the schools can go off of in determine whether you'll be successful in graduate school. This is especially true with the prerequisites.

a really great essay is so key. going into my interviews i was told a few times that they really loved my essay, and i don't consider myself a strong writer. have a central theme around it, something that shows that you are more unique than everyone else applying. and have your professors, parents proofread it.

I don't want to be too critical, but think about this. Most of what OT's do is write. You're writing for Medicare/Medicaid, writing up routines, writing grants, writing for your bosses so that they know what you're up to all day. I've seen many of your posts on here, and pretty much every one has some spelling and grammar errors. Not saying that you'll need be an OT, but you need to take the academics more seriously. The goal isn't to get into school, it's to be a good OT, and to do that, you're going to have to improve your communication skills. I really hope that you can get in the field though! You seem very passionate!
Ok! Well do! Yeah! I believe I do take academics seriously.......I will take your constructive criticism into consideration. Thanks.

I appreciate your perspective, but the reality is that they need to screen people somehow. Part of becoming an OT is succeeding in a difficult, science heavy graduate school program. Being able to do well in the classes leading up to that program is about the only thing the schools can go off of in determine whether you'll be successful in graduate school. This is especially true with the prerequisites.
I have all A's and B's in my prerequisites....its just the GRE that I'm afraid of. I've taken graduate courses before....

I have all A's and B's in my prerequisites....its just the GRE that I'm afraid of. I've taken graduate courses before....

Honestly, don't be afraid of it. I was terrified, especially about the math - it's not that bad.

Yea, don't let the GRE throw you. It's just a really long test. Study hard for a few months and you'll do fine!

Some programs have even done away with interviews. A few come to mind where they simply stack your applications in order of GPA and take the top so many to fill their seats. I'll have to strongly disagree with you regarding programs "needing" the GRE. No one needs that test. It's a joke. It's not a real measure of anything but your ability to take a standardized test. That said, it's reality. Do or die. It has to be done, so study for it, take it and get it over with. I'm sorry I just can't agree that programs "need" this ridiculous, biased metric.

especially if you're a guy, as OT schools are desperate to attempt to balance their gender ratios.

Don't I wish you were right about that. No. That's not true. Most simply do not care. There were qualified male applicants, and we are vastly underepresented in every single OT dept in this country. I think most, even in the field view this as a "woman's profession" and I don't believe there is this pressing urgency to get more balanced departments as you think.

That's certainly never been conveyed to me. There are many, many departments with not even a single man on faculty or in their programs. You can't tell me they didn't have qualified male candidates.

Some programs have even done away with interviews. A few come to mind where they simply stack your applications in order of GPA and take the top so many to fill their seats. I'll have to strongly disagree with you regarding programs "needing" the GRE. No one needs that test. It's a joke. It's not a real measure of anything but your ability to take a standardized test. That said, it's reality. Do or die. It has to be done, so study for it, take it and get it over with. I'm sorry I just can't agree that programs "need" this ridiculous, biased metric.

I didn't say that they needed the GRE. I said they needed GPA as a measure. Though the GRE is obviously, like you said, a reality.

Don't I wish you were right about that. No. That's not true. Most simply do not care. There were qualified male applicants, and we are vastly underepresented in every single OT dept in this country. I think most, even in the field view this as a "woman's profession" and I don't believe there is this pressing urgency to get more balanced departments as you think.

That's certainly never been conveyed to me. There are many, many departments with not even a single man on faculty or in their programs. You can't tell me they didn't have qualified male candidates.

From talking to OT faculty, looking at percentage of male applicants admitted versus women, etc., yeah, it's absolutely true. One of the schools I applied to flat out said as much. It's true in nursing too. They desperately want males in the program - there just are relatively few male applicants.

From talking to OT faculty, looking at percentage of male applicants admitted versus women, etc., yeah, it's absolutely true. One of the schools I applied to flat out said as much. It's true in nursing too. They desperately want males in the program - there just are relatively few male applicants.

I don't buy it. I've been told by *many* that you being male is in no way weighted in any which way officially or unofficially in any capacity. I do not believe that to be the case. There are more than 0 qualified male applicants to these schools; they don't care about that as an issue at most programs.

I don't buy it. I've been told by *many* that you being male is in no way weighted in any which way officially or unofficially in any capacity. I do not believe that to be the case. There are more than 0 qualified male applicants to these schools; they don't care about that as an issue at most programs.

So you're suggesting that males are actively discriminated against in the application process?

I don't believe gender should play a role in admissions at all. If you meet the requirements, your app should be reviewed. If you score well in the admission criteria that the school is using to determine admission, you should be interviewed/accepted. I don't understand why being male or female should be factored into admissions. OT seems to attract more females than males, which is most likely why there are more woman than men in OT schools. If a female scores higher in admission criteria, I don't think a male, who scores lower, should be admitted just because he was born a male.
In addition, osu789, we have basically identical stats. 3.75 GPA. ~100 shadowing hours. I don't know about your extra-curric/volunteer stats, but you said you were involved, as was I. I highly doubt it was your GPA holding you back. There was absolutely a red flag in your app and you should ask around to find out what that was. (Rec letters/personal statement?) I think you pretty much understand that though, as you said you need to get more OT observation in other settings/take the GRE. I know many program require at least 2/3 settings of OT. In addition, the GRE is just a door that opens up more options, no matter how you feel about it. I know you do not like the GRE, but it really is not that difficult and if it's what you need to do, do it. I actually took it twice(the misery, haha) because I bombed the quant section the first time around and I knew I needed to do well if I wanted to get into the schools I was interested in. Schools don't want to know how you feel about the GRE, they want you to meet their requirements. Also, I applied in September, so yes definitely apply early! I believe if you do all of these things, you will absolutely have an awesome chance if this cycle doesn't work out for you.
And makingmoves14, I'm sorry that this cycle has been so stressful for you. I can tell how much you want to be an OT. If you feel some programs rely too much on GPA/GRE, then you need to email programs and find the ones that are more holistic and apply to those. I would also have to agree that you should make sure your grammar is flawless on all sections of your applications. You convey that you have passion, great work ethic, and experience on here, and what you need to do on these apps is "show not tell." I have followed that motto since my 7th grade writing class, haha. Make sure to not just tell admissions that you have this passion and work ethic but show them. Give details, stories, make it interesting. Make them feel your passion through your writing. I think a strong PS would be perfect for your app because you have so much passion and experience. I would also like to point out that some schools rely so heavily on GPA because it is a valuable indicator of someone's work ethic and time management. A GPA is not just a bunch of grades given to someone. A GPA is earned through hard work, dedication, and organization. So maybe the people with high GPAs are not actually bragging, rather they may just be proud of their accomplishments. To me, what you said just sounded very bitter. I maintained my GPA while working full time in school and being involved in campus activities. It can be done with hard work. The reality is is that most schools want people who will graduate from their program and pass the NBCOT. You need to maintain a 3.0 GPA in most OT programs to remain in the program. Undergrad GPA is a good predictor if someone has the work ethic, passion, and study skills to do that. I think that's just the truth about most admissions; however, like I said, your experience and passion could override your GPA in programs especially ones that take a holistic approach. I think this all depends on applying to the right programs.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't believe gender should play a role in admissions at all. If you meet the requirements, your app should be reviewed. If you score well in the admission criteria that the school is using to determine admission, you should be interviewed/accepted. I don't understand why being male or female should be factored into admissions. OT seems to attract more females than males, which is most likely why there are more woman than men in OT schools. If a female scores higher in admission criteria, I don't think a male, who scores lower, should be admitted just because he was born a male.
In addition, osu789, we have basically identical stats. 3.75 GPA. ~100 shadowing hours. I don't know about your extra-curric/volunteer stats, but you said you were involved, as was I. I highly doubt it was your GPA holding you back. There was absolutely a red flag in your app and you should ask around to find out what that was. (Rec letters/personal statement?) I think you pretty much understand that though, as you said you need to get more OT observation in other settings/take the GRE. I know many program require at least 2/3 settings of OT. In addition, the GRE is just a door that opens up more options, no matter how you feel about it. I know you do not like the GRE, but it really is not that difficult and if it's what you need to do, do it. I actually took it twice(the misery, haha) because I bombed the quant section the first time around and I knew I needed to do well if I wanted to get into the schools I was interested in. Schools don't want to know how you feel about the GRE, they want you to meet their requirements. Also, I applied in September, so yes definitely apply early! I believe if you do all of these things, you will absolutely have an awesome chance if this cycle doesn't work out for you.
And makingmoves14, I'm sorry that this cycle has been so stressful for you. I can tell how much you want to be an OT. If you feel some programs rely too much on GPA/GRE, then you need to email programs and find the ones that are more holistic and apply to those. I would also have to agree that you should make sure your grammar is flawless on all sections of your applications. You convey that you have passion, great work ethic, and experience on here, and what you need to do on these apps is "show not tell." I have followed that motto since my 7th grade writing class, haha. Make sure to not just tell admissions that you have this passion and work ethic but show them. Give details, stories, make it interesting. Make them feel your passion through your writing. I think a strong PS would be perfect for your app because you have so much passion and experience. I would also like to point out that some schools rely so heavily on GPA because it is a valuable indicator of someone's work ethic and time management. A GPA is not just a bunch of grades given to someone. A GPA is earned through hard work, dedication, and organization. So maybe the people with high GPAs are not actually bragging, rather they may just be proud of their accomplishments. To me, what you said just sounded very bitter. I maintained my GPA while working full time in school and being involved in campus activities. It can be done with hard work. The reality is is that most schools want people who will graduate from their program and pass the NBCOT. You need to maintain a 3.0 GPA in most OT programs to remain in the program. Undergrad GPA is a good predictor if someone has the work ethic, passion, and study skills to do that. I think that's just the truth about most admissions; however, like I said, your experience and passion could override your GPA in programs especially ones that take a holistic approach. I think this all depends on applying to the right programs.

It's funny...guys are saying the same thing about minority demographics getting into other fields that have been male heavy. This is one of the few fields that is female heavy.

For what it's worth, I think they do weigh some of the hard data very objectively. If a guy has a 3.0 and a girl has a 3.7, it would be hard not to admit the girl. But AOTA wants more guys in the field, so all things being equal, I do think that guys are an attraction to a program. Just the same as minorities and women are attractions to other male-heavy degrees.

I also think that it's not that big a deal, because just as those other fields simply don't have many minorities applying, this field doesn't have many men applying.

Yeah I see where you are coming from. If AOTA wants more guys in the field, then there may be a place for it in the admissions criteria. We will never know the formulas that committees use, so I guess all that people can do is find the programs that fit them best, meet the requirements, and take some of the advice in this post! Good luck to everyone. :)

Yea, that's how I see it. Like many of these things, it's out of our hands. :)

I don't think I'm bitter.....I've been around people who GPA's were 3.6 or higher and they act so cocky and it just goes to their head. I'm not saying all. I guess I've should of work harder for that 3.6.......gpa......but I've seen people who got rejected with an high gpa.....

If that's not how you meant it, I apologize. It's hard to tell emotions over the internet and that was just my point of view. I'm sure there are many cocky people with high GPA's and with low GPA's, but that's neither here nor there. I just wanted to indicate why GPA is an important admissions criteria for schools. In most cases, I don't think it should be overlooked because it can show a person's dedication to academics. If a person has a low GPA in undergrad, I would be skeptical of that person being able to maintain a high GPA in grad school, which is why it is SO important to make sure the other aspects of your application show them why you will be able to succeed. Your letters of rec should speak highly of you and your personal statement should tell your story passionately with little to no grammar mistakes. Schools would then be able to say, you know what, they might not have the highest GPA, but they have valuable experience and other's speak highly of them, let's give them an interview. GPA is not everything and that is why most programs require things like the GRE, letters of rec, and a personal statement. This is also why you have seen some people with high GPA's get rejected, they may have faulted in the other aspects of the application. Different schools weigh different things more heavily, which is why I was suggesting that you should email around and find a program that is less focused on GPA and more focused on the other aspects. My intentions were not to say that you should've worked harder. My intentions were to let you know that if you find schools that are more holistic and you have a wonderful personal statement that showcases your experience and passion for OT and your letters of rec are awesome, then you should find success in your OT journey.

Last edited:
Let me be clear: I never said gender should play a "major" role in admissions. It should play a role in seeking a diverse environment. There is absolutely no way you can convince me that some departments have NO men applying who are more than qualified yet end up with entirely female departments. We would never accept this in academia in the opposite: all white male departments. I can guarantee you that if you are a qualified minority applicant to medical school you have a much better shot than a white male; and I am not complaining or whining about that, it's just a fact. Same with any woman applying to an engineering program. The same is NOT true of male applicants in occupational therapy. That was my point.

It is not as friendly to be a white man in our world as many think. I do not think my life is easier because I am white or a man; I have the same challenges - and some additional ones due to my sex and racial composition than others have. I'm not begrudging anyone: I'm just stating that it's not *any* easier being a man applying to 90-100% female departments.

I do not think my life is easier because I am white or a man; I have the same challenges - and some additional ones due to my sex and racial composition than others have. I'm not begrudging anyone: I'm just stating that it's not *any* easier being a man applying to 90-100% female departments.

Well, you're flat out wrong about that. You should consider reading about white privilege. It's something you must be aware of when working in this or any other helping field. Being a white man gives you tremendous advantages every single day in nearly any imaginable situation.

The idea that not only do you not have privilege but that you have additional challenges due to being a white man is just not accurate. I'd encourage you to reconsider your stance on this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Let me be clear: I never said gender should play a "major" role in admissions. It should play a role in seeking a diverse environment. There is absolutely no way you can convince me that some departments have NO men applying who are more than qualified yet end up with entirely female departments. We would never accept this in academia in the opposite: all white male departments. I can guarantee you that if you are a qualified minority applicant to medical school you have a much better shot than a white male; and I am not complaining or whining about that, it's just a fact. Same with any woman applying to an engineering program. The same is NOT true of male applicants in occupational therapy. That was my point.

It is not as friendly to be a white man in our world as many think. I do not think my life is easier because I am white or a man; I have the same challenges - and some additional ones due to my sex and racial composition than others have. I'm not begrudging anyone: I'm just stating that it's not *any* easier being a man applying to 90-100% female departments.

as someone who is quick to point out the point of view of sociologists when talking about how the GRE is a culturally-biased metric, i'm surprised you seem to have forgotten your sociologist friends when talking about white, male privilege. you may not see it, but you do, yes have a certain privilege that affects you EVERY DAY, small things, that you wouldn't even think about - like going to a store and no one suspecting you of trying to rob it, or looking to buy a house and people actually assuming you have the money to do so (my parents in particular were a victim of this - they wanted to buy a house and the realtor showed us condos, not thinking my parents were serious about the amount they would pay or what they were looking for). it's obvious you are frustrated by this process, but you will never get anywhere seeing only the things you want to see. you refuse to actually take advice, which we have all tried to give you in a respectful way, or look at the bigger picture...good luck.

Reactions: 6 users
@osu789 by the way, i do agree with you that OT programs SHOULD try to recruit more males. i would think that they would keep an eye on every male applicant that meets their standards, and then keep them in a special pool where they will have a higher chance of admittance. if you do your research on college and graduate admissions, this is how it is done in regards to admitting certain kinds of minorities (in OTs case, this would be men). however, they *can't say* that they put more weight on certain groups, due to the backlash against affirmative action. therefore they say they look at the applicant "holistically" and that being of a member of a certain group does not guarantee admission, because it *doesn't*.

Okay, being a black male who grew up in a predominantly white area and being blessed to have a history professor (who is white by the way) tell me that research shows that white males still have certain advantages that can make their lives easier, let me say that you are wrong to think you are on equal playing field in terms of life challenges. I agree that the field could use more males but hey we gotta convince the admissions committees we belong at their schools, so we can complain about gender imbalance all we want but at the end of the day they aren't breaking any federal or state laws by admitting a ton of women and very few males. I personally wouldn't want to say I got in off of that , I would rather say I got in cause worked my tail off and had enough charisma to earn a spot lol.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for suggestions and advice on not feeling discouraged. I thought I did everything right - great grades in pre reqs- above average undergrad gpa- abundant amount of volunteer hours. I applied to eleven schools and have not been accepted anywhere.

I do think it is somewhat meant to be. There are places I will not apply again and definitely some I will add to my list. I plan on applying as early as possible too.

My back up plan is psychology too!!

11. Is most important. I feel that sometimes it's waivering through this whole process lol.
It's not easy to do all of this, but everything in lifer that is worth doing is hard. I honestly believe that if you take the approach you laid out (6-11) you will get into *a* program. Sometimes things do not happen in the chronology in which we want them to happen; it's ok. I'll live if I don't get in somewhere this cycle.

I think the advice regarding a scholarly article is *amazing* advice. I'm not sure how someone who has graduated from college and is just taking pre-reqs can team up on a scholarly article. Sage advice nonetheless.

I do a great deal of community service. I think it's good for your moral composition (and looks good on applications too). I know that I can do a lot of good in the world, and if an OT admissions committee doesn't agree, well, I'll do that good elsewhere. I'm going to give this 110%, next time around, if I have to apply again. I am still hoping for the best.

My backup plan is to pursue a psychology MA or PsyD. It's not a perfect plan, and it's riddled with many obstacles as well.
Thank

as someone who is quick to point out the point of view of sociologists when talking about how the GRE is a culturally-biased metric, i'm surprised you seem to have forgotten your sociologist friends when talking about white, male privilege. you may not see it, but you do, yes have a certain privilege that affects you EVERY DAY, small things, that you wouldn't even think about - like going to a store and no one suspecting you of trying to rob it, or looking to buy a house and people actually assuming you have the money to do so (my parents in particular were a victim of this - they wanted to buy a house and the realtor showed us condos, not thinking my parents were serious about the amount they would pay or what they were looking for). it's obvious you ae frustrated by this process, but you will never get anywhere seeing only the things you want to see. you refuse to actually take advice, which we have all tried to give you in a respectful way, or look at the bigger picture...good luck.
When I go shopping the workers in the store don't acknowledge me and they follow me like I'm going to steal something. It's frustrating......I face challenges everyday....I guess people are surprised when I tell them yes I'm a college graduated and yes I have a job......

Status
Not open for further replies.