LECOM - Erie Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard or experienced anything about the Maleno Development properties? I'm looking into Lakeview, Scenery Hills, or Shadow Pines. Any info would be appreciated.

Maleno development is family owned and they have a bunch of rental units and also developed a couple of nice subdivisions. So, they are well capitalized and have a good operation. They are a little pricey but are nice, and I think most of the units have a garage (BIG PLUS when we get a foot of snow, or two inces of snow every day for six weeks....sucks to brush off car or scrape windows every morning).

The only thing I can think of is I don't think they take pets, if you have any.

Feel free to PMme if you have any speicifc quesitons. I live here so I would be willing to help......especially if you are an anatomy prodigy.....never to early to start a study group :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you receive that? Email? Checking the portal? I'm curious as I have yet to receive my award letter.

You'll receive an email instructing you to check the portal. It will have your portal login info if you don't know it.

When do we need to buy books?

Do current students think that all the books are necessary to buy?
Are lectures deep and detailed enough that some books are unnecessary?

It really depends on how you like to study. I don't have any book besides review books and have done fine. If I do need clarification (that I can't find on the internet), the library has all the books and/or your friends.

The only book that was "required" was the pharm book because we had quizzes each day out of like 1-2 pages of reading. Even for anatomy, I just used flash cards (netter) and the library netter's in supplement to my lecture notes and got an A.

How did you receive that? Email? Checking the portal? I'm curious as I have yet to receive my award letter.

Yeah an e-mail saying to check the portal. I almost missed it. My school switched e-mail servers, so I wasn't getting any emails when downloading to outlook express.

I happened to check my e-mail at work today (using webmail) and saw like 30 e-mails that I missed over the past two days. :eek:

Not only the financial aid letter, but emails from kids in the class I TA asking questions about the homework that was due yesterday. Whoops :smuggrin:

I got the financial aid award email yesterday as well. I'm waiting to hear back from the Army in the next week about the HPSP (my app went to the board yesterday). Should I go ahead and continue the finaid process or wait to see if I was accepted into the HPSP first? I don't wanna end up signing up for loans I don't need.

I got the financial aid award email yesterday as well. I'm waiting to hear back from the Army in the next week about the HPSP (my app went to the board yesterday). Should I go ahead and continue the finaid process or wait to see if I was accepted into the HPSP first? I don't wanna end up signing up for loans I don't need.
Just wait... I'm army HPSP and I never did anything with my finaid paperwork. I think I might have used that portion of the packet as a coaster

Just wait... I'm army HPSP and I never did anything with my finaid paperwork. I think I might have used that portion of the packet as a coaster

Hey I was wondering if I could apply for HPSP at any time during medical school? In other words, owe them less years. I'm not really sure if I want to do it now, and may consider it after a year or two in medical school.

Hey I was wondering if I could apply for HPSP at any time during medical school? In other words, owe them less years. I'm not really sure if I want to do it now, and may consider it after a year or two in medical school.
Read in the milmed forum, but if you are going to do it I would think would be to do it for all four years

I have a room for rent, 1449 W42nd st., it's approximately 2 blocks from LECOM and about a 2 minute car ride. 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house w/ kitchen, living room, 2 car garage, and a full basement small yard. Rent 400-450/month w/o utilities. Clean male w/o pets and nonsmoker preferred. One in PBL, one in LDP currently living in the house. Looking for a first year preferably. Any other questions feel free to message me directly.

I'm beginning to get a bit nervous-excited for classes to start. Well, even about moving - especially since I have to do a "blind" move with kids. :p

I'm beginning to get a bit nervous-excited for classes to start. Well, even about moving - especially since I have to do a "blind" move with kids. :p

I'm just dying to graduate undergrad and get everything finished (two weeks from tomorrow :thumbup:).

I don't have kids to worry about though :eek:. So you're not seeing the place that you're moving to? You got a house for all those little gemmells or an apt?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you need to grow a thicker skin. There is nothing wrong with what he/she is doing. Maybe you should stop reading the threads that make you so upset instead of expecting others to keep their opinions to themselves in deference to those who didn't get accepted. As I said, anyone else in his/her place (including me and probably you) would take a seat that wasn't their top choice in a heartbeat while waiting out the alternate list at the school they want. It would be idiotic to risk not having a seat in med school at all next year just so you don't hurt other people's feelings on the SDN boards.

What you say about risking not having a place is also true of those for which LECOM is their first choice. I am mainly referring to those who are holding more than one seat.

I don't know if I stand any chance of receiving an acceptance for next year. At this late stage, it is getting to be a real concern and disappointment. The house that I wanted to buy in Fairview also went under contract to somebody else within the last week so I am bummed about that also.

Some snowfall statistics:

Average annual snowfall in inches:

Portland, ME 111 inches
Marquette, MI 141 inches - very near Duluth, Minnesota
Syracuse, NY 115 inches
Burlington, VT 78 inches

And:

Erie, PA 88 inches

Last edited:
Some snowfall statistics:

Average annual snowfall in inches:

Portland, ME 111 inches
Marquette, MI 141 inches - very near Duluth, Minnesota
Syracuse, NY 115 inches
Burlington, VT 78 inches

And:

Erie, PA 88 inches

Well, Johnbob, not sure how acurate your statistics are. I have lived in Erie most of my life and the snow just seems to get worse as I age. Now, I am a nontrad, so most things annoy us older folk, but we got about 150" of snow this past season. LOL....It was unbelievable. At one point, I ran out of places to shovel the stuff. The path to my door had to be two feet high on the sides. I have a small dog and I sear she did not see sunlight for most of the winter cause the snow was blocking it out (kinda like a human walking in Manhattan). If your stats are right, we are do for a dusting this year..............Anyone coming here GET A GARAGE!:smuggrin:

have lived here most of my life.....pm me if you want any school /day care info. My wife is a teacher and we have daycare experience, even for special needs children. Don't let the small town stuff fool you. Every city has its deesirable areas and the ones you want to avoid.

I'm just dying to graduate undergrad and get everything finished (two weeks from tomorrow :thumbup:).

I don't have kids to worry about though :eek:. So you're not seeing the place that you're moving to? You got a house for all those little gemmells or an apt?

I had my undergrad graduation just this past Saturday, with my last final having been a week earlier. It's nice having it done.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to see the place we are moving to before we get out there. Time and money don't allow me to make an extra trip. However, I've been talking to a few possible places. Based on advise, I am looking mainly in the Millcreek area. I am open to a house or apartment. The last year we've lived in a house, but before then we lived in an apartment - so either is ok.

Hey guys,

I know some people probably haven't gotten housing yet, and I'm looking for a LECOM roommate, looking at competitive rates for rent. Please email if you're interested.

was anyone successful getting an acceptance from LECOM-E with a 3.1 GPA?

accepted with a 3.18 cgpa, 3.06 sgpa. upward trend. good mcat. closed file interviews are priceless when you have a regretfull gpa hanging over your head :)

I am a current first year male ISP student and I have a room available for rent in my 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath house that is about a mile from LECOM. Rent will be cheap ($300) and utilities/cable/internet will be split 3 ways which comes out to about 80-150/mo for each person. I live here with another guy who doesnt go to LECOM. The only thing you would need to furnish is your bedroom and can move in as early as you want. If interested or you want some more info just send me a message.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when classes will end for first year students?

accepted with a 3.18 cgpa, 3.06 sgpa. upward trend. good mcat. closed file interviews are priceless when you have a regretfull gpa hanging over your head :)
what is a "good" mcat? must have been pretty good to offset the gpa

i had a somewhat similar sgpa and got an mcat of 29. 11-ps 10-bs 8-vr

honestly if you get an interview you just have to nail it. i left my interview knowing it had gone extremely well, unlike a previous one. unfortunately, i have decided to not accept a seat into ldp so there should be one open for those waiting. i interviewed april 27, got the letter 2 weeks ago and have recently declined accepting the seat. good luck.

And do they post any kind of academic calender so we know the schedule for the upcoming year?

I'm really looking forward to see this (Seton Hill in my case). Would be great to know when the breaks are.

33M, 11PS 10VR 12BS

Like Tele said the interview is really important. I really enjoyed my interview and I think I made a good impression. Having worked for a year and a half as an EMT-B gave me a lot to talk about and probably made me sound passionate, informed and well-rounded. It's nice to be able elicit a few chuckles with a couple clinical vignettes. But be wary of trying this if you don't actually have a sense of humor. Oh and I think they liked that I shadowed a DO that actually practices OMM.

hey, I'm new in here. I was wait-listed and would like to know whom should a letter of intent to address to? sorry if this question was already asked.
also, maybe some tips as to what to write. thanks a lot.

Question for those accepted into the PBL Seton Hill pathway:
I interviewed recently - 4/30 - and have had my admissions status changed to "a decision has been made"

From what I can gather in this forum, that would indicate I am either in, or rejected (as those placed on the alternate list have been getting a "you have been placed on the alternate blah blah blah")

In my admissions status drop down menu, the Seton Hill Campus has been added to the options (with Erie and Bradenton) - so I was wondering if anyone else who was accepted to Seton Hill observed a similar change? I would like to take it as an auspicious sign, but I have become accustom to let downs during this process...

Question for those accepted into the PBL Seton Hill pathway:
I interviewed recently - 4/30 - and have had my admissions status changed to "a decision has been made"

From what I can gather in this forum, that would indicate I am either in, or rejected (as those placed on the alternate list have been getting a "you have been placed on the alternate blah blah blah")

In my admissions status drop down menu, the Seton Hill Campus has been added to the options (with Erie and Bradenton) - so I was wondering if anyone else who was accepted to Seton Hill observed a similar change? I would like to take it as an auspicious sign, but I have become accustom to let downs during this process...

I'm on the waitlist also and noticed that the Seton Hill link was added randomly a while back(months). I'm not sure what it means. Maybe they've just been waiting to get me off the list and into Seton Hill, maybe everybody got it added.

I read a post a while back about this Friday being the date that applicants can only hold one seat of admissions. Anyone know anything about this? If thats the case then a lot of seats should be open next week for the waitlist.

I read a post a while back about this Friday being the date that applicants can only hold one seat of admissions. Anyone know anything about this? If thats the case then a lot of seats should be open next week for the waitlist.

The AAMC developed "traffic guidelines" (which includes guidelines for deposit dates as well as the May 15th "drop all acceptances but one") specifically for allopathic applicants. However, most osteopathic schools also follow the "traffic guidelines," so yes, hopefully there will be some movement soon. :)

And a heads up to all those still holding multiple acceptances -- if you do not withdraw from all but one school by this Friday, you risk losing your seat at all schools to which you have been accepted. I just reread the guidelines and realized this today, pretty scary!

Good luck all, hopefully you'll see some movement soon :luck:

If we accept financial aid now, are we able to reduce it later on?

If we accept financial aid now, are we able to reduce it later on?

yes you can...i just talked to the financial aid office and they said that you can either decline down the year if you don't need all your financial aid or you could decline now and apply for more if you need some as the year goes on.

I'm assuming that all of you get the federal unsubsidized and subsidized and the grad plus loans...i talked to the financial aid office and they said that the grad plus loan has an 8.5% interest rate and a 3% origination fee...is there a better loan we can take with a lower interest rate or are all of you taking the grad plus loans?

just received an e-mail telling me to get financial papers ready, maticulation information etc.. I was on the alternate list might this mean I am going to be accepted.

just received an e-mail telling me to get financial papers ready, maticulation information etc.. I was on the alternate list might this mean I am going to be accepted.

Does your portal still say you are on the waitlist?

is there a difference between alternate and waitlist

Me too!!! I'm so excited, I can't believe it. I can't imagine them sending you the "Dear Member of the LECOM Class of 2013" packet and then not get a call. So, I am going to go out on a limb and say that "yes" this means we most likely will be accepted. :D:D:D

Me too!!! I'm so excited, I can't believe it. I can't imagine them sending you the "Dear Member of the LECOM Class of 2013" packet and then not get a call. So, I am going to go out on a limb and say that "yes" this means we most likely will be accepted. :D:D:D

I got the same email. hopefully that's good news. can anyone confirm that it's pretty much a "yes"?

I got the same email... strong possibility that you will be contacted for acceptance to this class, dear member of 2013 papers....

I as so excited and yet nervous. I hope we find out soon.

:xf::xf::xf::xf:

I got the same email... strong possibility that you will be contacted for acceptance to this class, dear member of 2013 papers....

I as so excited and yet nervous. I hope we find out soon.

:xf::xf::xf::xf:

I didn't get this e-mail. But I am still hopeful. I am ready and have ordered a new snow vehicle. Take a look. It's just a joke but maybe we should all think about it.

http://www.townshipsheritage.com/Gallery/Snow.Tractor.1.JPG

LH1985 wrote:
I didn't get this e-mail. But I am still hopeful. I am ready and have ordered a new snow vehicle. Take a look. It's just a joke but maybe we should all think about it.

http://www.townshipsheritage.com/Gal....Tractor.1.JPG

Hopefully you will soon. I know you are very passionate about attending LECOM and I wish you all the luck.:luck:

In my opinion, being on a waitlist is a weird experience. I have concluded that I must take serious note of my deficiencies and fix them. If the deficiencies are very minor, do you really feel the same way about somebody who rejected you? That is a good question.

We see it here many times. One student is enthusiatic about a school and is not selected. Then another student is selected and prefers to be waitlisted elsewhere - and then gives up the seat at the last minute. Sometimes, I think that the process is like cats. Cats have some kind of radar that makes them prefer people that don't like cats. So med schools are like cats, they only want the people who don't want them.

Last edited:
We see it here many times. One student is enthusiatic about a school and is not selected. Then another student is selected and prefers to be waitlisted elsewhere - and then gives up the seat at the last minute. Sometimes, I think that the process is like cats. Cats have some kind of radar that makes them prefer people that don't like cats. So med schools are like cats, they only want the people who don't want them.

Thats exactly right. In fact if you just spit in the face of the interviewers you get an automatic full scholarship.

LH1985 wrote:

http://www.townshipsheritage.com/Gal....Tractor.1.JPG

In my opinion, being on a waitlist is a weird experience. I have concluded that I must take serious note of my deficiencies and fix them. If the deficiencies are very minor, do you really feel the same way about somebody who rejected you? That is a good question.

I hate cats