LECOM Erie Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, definitely looks fun considering I did SOOOOO well on the PS section of that stupid test we had to take. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I can't believe they gave you guys an assignment before you even start orientation! That gets a definite :thumbdown: !

DOtobe said:
I can't believe they gave you guys an assignment before you even start orientation! That gets a definite :thumbdown: !

I say screw it and enjoy your last summer.
I don't recieve information because lecom keeps sending it to the wrong address. so, I never got anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
what assignment are u talking about?

krazygirlly said:
what assignment are u talking about?

exactly. I never got anything. I am probably going to show up the first day to have them say "Who are you?"

cornellmedic said:
exactly. I never got anything. I am probably going to show up the first day to have them say "Who are you?"
Hey, what assignment???? The last thing I got in the mail was from the Student Gov Association.

There's a pretty large packet that will be coming shortly. It has a bunch of information about orientation, including a schedule of events, etc. I recieved it last week, so you guys should have it soon too.

Hey any married LECOMers in town now? My wife and I would like to meet classmates if possible. PM me if interested.

for those that have already moved, who did you use for your internet provider? i'm trying to figure some stuff out about the different packages with turner cable (tv & internet package) and verizon (dsl & satellite package).

OMG! :eek: I can't believe that we have summer homework that we are going to be tested on! I thought this was med school and not college! bah... I am completely shivering at the thought of having to learn physics all over again... I guess this might be a blessing in disguise since I will have to apply this stuff to medicine and people.. blah.. I just wished that they would give us a little bit of a breather!

anyone living at Royal Villa???

mrm1682 said:
for those that have already moved, who did you use for your internet provider? i'm trying to figure some stuff out about the different packages with turner cable (tv & internet package) and verizon (dsl & satellite package).
I've lived in Erie for a year now (I was a post-bacc). I use Adelphia for my cable and cable internet. They have good promotional packages (maybe like $80-ish for both for a few months), but paying full price is tough (like $150-ish). If you keep calling though, they can sometimes give you a new or different promotion. Just play dumb, thats what I do!

I will probably look over the summer assignment with some attention about 2 weeks prior to classes. No reason to put a dampener on the entire summer. I will also be living in Royal villa. Already got my apt. and will be heading to erie next week to move my stuff, then coming back to NY for a bit. Perhaps several of us could share an internet connection if we get a good signal?

Members don't see this ad :)
mrm1682 said:
is anyone going to being living in laurel ridge? just checking to see if i'll have any LECOM neighbors.....

Hey mrm1682,

I am also going to live in laurel ridege. I have the keys, but have yet to move to Erie. I probably will not move in until the 23rd (Sunday?). If you find a good deal for cable/internet please pass on the info. We should definantly share frothy beverage or five before class starts.

Anyone living in Lakeview or scenery hills apts?

I'll be making the move to Erie in a couple of weeks...! I can't believe how fast this summer is just flying by...

trypto82 said:
Did you go to UT? I will be Joining lecom from BGSU.

Yes, I went to UT for my post bacc. I am glad that somebody is from my town.

Couple things I was wondering about...1. Has anyone heard anything from LECOM about Financial Aid? 2. I just realized that I haven't sent in any of the matriculation packet, do you think they'll deny my spot if I haven't sent in my physical/transcript, etc...(I have sent in my deposit). Thanks for any input. I finally made my decision and I will be joining everyone in the July. Getting excited.

ohhhh and on that packet, on the second section with the question about the Giraffe, did anyone get that one without looking at the answer?

I haven't moved to Erie yet, but I signed up for internet service through Adelphia (w/o Cable service) for ~$26/mo. Not a bad deal.

I'm living in Mill Glen Apts., is anyone else going to be my neighbor there?

I was just wondering if I need to get a Pennsylvania drivers license?

allendo said:

technically you're supposed to when you move to a new state...especially if you don't have an address of residence in your original state. i'm switching everything over but mostly so that i could get away from NJ's crazy auto insurance rates.

hey! I will be moving down to erie on the 14th of july... please post meeting places for lecomers! :) as for the internet service, I would be down to share the service... see you all soon!

mrm1682 said:
technically you're supposed to when you move to a new state...especially if you don't have an address of residence in your original state. i'm switching everything over but mostly so that i could get away from NJ's crazy auto insurance rates.

If they want me to give up my NY ID, they are going to have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

well, you could keep your original state's ID but only if you have an address there (ie. parents, friend, etc). otherwise, how can you have a license in a state you don't have a mailing address for?

allendo said:
YES!! I highly recommend you get a drivers license here in PA. The process may be a bit different than what you are accustomed to. Be sure to have your ORIGINAL birth certificate with noterization, social security card, and TWO bills with your new PA address. The plates may also be different.... If you own your own vehicle you shouldn't have a problem, but you must have the title with you in order to get the plates in addition to providing the proof of insurance.
Hope this helps and hope to see you soon.

Anyone get anything regarding the amount of financial aid you have recieved? I'm worried that I'll need to apply for some private loans considering tuition is 47000 and maximum amount from federal loans is 38500. Also, in the financial aid packet it accounts for a computer, anyone know how that would work seeing as financial aid is given after matriculation?
TIA
- Mike.

ArcherM2 said:
Anyone get anything regarding the amount of financial aid you have recieved? I'm worried that I'll need to apply for some private loans considering tuition is 47000 and maximum amount from federal loans is 38500. Also, in the financial aid packet it accounts for a computer, anyone know how that would work seeing as financial aid is given after matriculation?
TIA
- Mike.
Dude, where did yo get 47000 from. My tuition is only 26000

I have a question about books. Can we buy an older edition and make it? I don't mean a 10 year old edition, but the last edition before they upgraded.

47,000 is total estimated cost per year (including tuition, books, living expenses, etc).

sorry, I meant the estimated cost of education...in any event there are lots of checks that need to be written before financial aid is distributed...is everyone just writing checks out of pocket?

ArcherM2 said:
sorry, I meant the estimated cost of education...in any event there are lots of checks that need to be written before financial aid is distributed...is everyone just writing checks out of pocket?
What checks?

allendo said:
I have a question about books. Can we buy an older edition and make it? I don't mean a 10 year old edition, but the last edition before they upgraded.
I would actually buy an older edition of just about everything, except for pharm which is ever-changing. It's amazing how much $ you can save.

Checks for first months rent, computer, etc...things that are considered in the FAFSA application and the generation of the cost of education, but that cannot be paid for until we have our financial aid from the school, otherwise, i guess we just write checks that are out of our own savings/checking.

For example: I just spent 1600 on a laptop. in the packet it says they allocate 2000 for a computer in out financial aid. Because I have already bought the computer on my own, does this money now become available for the rest of my budget?

Sorry, the whole med school loans thing has given me the willies over the past couple of days.

ArcherM2 said:
Checks for first months rent, computer, etc...things that are considered in the FAFSA application and the generation of the cost of education, but that cannot be paid for until we have our financial aid from the school, otherwise, i guess we just write checks that are out of our own savings/checking.

For example: I just spent 1600 on a laptop. in the packet it says they allocate 2000 for a computer in out financial aid. Because I have already bought the computer on my own, does this money now become available for the rest of my budget?

Sorry, the whole med school loans thing has given me the willies over the past couple of days.
you will get a check from the school, two weeks after the start of classes, that will be for 1/2 of your total loan award minus tuition and fees associated with the school (1/2 because you will get the second portion in jan.). this money is your responsibility to allocate as needed (utilities, rent, car, computer, etc.) so, for the first few weeks, you will have to pay out of pocket, but all that money is yours to spend however you like after you receive your check. hope this helps. see you in a couple weeks!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Finally I have some idea of whats going on. Thanks a bunch!

ArcherM2 said:
THANK YOU SO MUCH! Finally I have some idea of whats going on. Thanks a bunch!
There's no doubt about it.... financial aid processes stink! My question is if we have to purchase all of our books prior to our financial aid check?

titusracerx said:
There's no doubt about it.... financial aid processes stink! My question is if we have to purchase all of our books prior to our financial aid check?
I've been told not to purchase any books til you need them. Since we have 12 weeks of anatomy/embryology, we can hold off on some of the other books til then.

anyone know if we get a discount through dell? my laptop is starting to go a little nutty on me so i'm thinking of buying one before school starts.

As far as getting your driver license in PA LEGALLY ( I have a lawyer friend) you do not have to get it IF you are here purely for education as in not employed or in the military. The benefits of not registering is TONS OF money, at least from where I am registered in TN. In PA, if you are a licensed resident you must register your car there (unless its in your parents name), once you register then your car becomes liable for YEARLY INSPECTIONS. A neighbor of mine had to replace the shocks and tie rods on his 2002 ford because they claimed it was bad (cost $1300). From what several of my neighbors have told me expect substantial yearly cost to pass inspection. But by keeping your out of state licence AND residence (AKA parents, grandparents, siblings address) then you are liable for that state inspections, in my case NONE. You may get harrassed by an officer or two during your time there but as long as you tell them you are only a student if they ask, then they can not issue a ticket (as I was informed). So as far as I am concerned I will be a Tennessee resident until I graduate.

AlmostADoc said:
I haven't moved to Erie yet, but I signed up for internet service through Adelphia (w/o Cable service) for ~$26/mo. Not a bad deal.

I'm living in Mill Glen Apts., is anyone else going to be my neighbor there?

sounds like a good deal, also something else to consider. Vonage for our phone service, I've only done a little prelim research, but it looks like we can keep our hometown area code so family doesn't have to pay LD calling in, free LD out, and its only like 24.99 a month. You have to have broadband service already, but it looks good for a phone solution.

pm me if you want to know about voip @ 19.99 a month and you can have a second number of any area code (your hometown) for 5 dollars a month...its also unlimited europe as well as the us which NO other carrier offers.

hi lecomers,

what internet company do most students use at their apartments in erie? I'll be staying at lakeview apartments, i'm not sure if I should get wireless access for my roommate and I. Appreciate the info.

see you guys soon

Michelle,
I signed up for Adelphia's Cable Internet service for $27/mo. (~$15/mo for 1st 3 mo.) at Mill Glen Apts. It seems to be the best deal for any "high speed" service in Erie.

Any MS2's in town wanting to get rid of books?

i was going to get dsl from verizon (19.95 for first 3 months then 29.95 thereafter...must commit for a year). anyone have any opinions on verizon dsl?

mrm1682 said:
i was going to get dsl from verizon (19.95 for first 3 months then 29.95 thereafter...must commit for a year). anyone have any opinions on verizon dsl?

I have dsl from Verizon, and have been happy with the connection. I was very disappointed with their customer service. Our order was lost, delayed, then set up wrong. We were then charged for a whole week while we didn't have service. DSL is however just as good as a cable connection (plenty fast). Look for specials in the mail when you get here.

Any one know if a PRE-ORIENTATION gathering is planned? I would like to start meeting my future class mates and get to know this town BEFORE school begins. I have been switched to the PBL group as of this week, so I am kinda worried and excited at the same time. So If anyone knows of any schoolmates getting together soon drop me a line here or at [email protected].

we should definitely try to get together before orientation. i will be making the move on july 22nd and hope to have my apt and almost everything set up that weekend. how about sometime monday or tuesday for lunch/dinner somewhere? i don't know the hotspots so i can't recommend a place.

Hey guys

If you guys have any questions, feel free to send me a PM or an IM at sk8beaker8...

Don't bother getting a PA drivers license or a PA state ID...

mrm1682 said:
we should definitely try to get together before orientation. i will be making the move on july 22nd and hope to have my apt and almost everything set up that weekend. how about sometime monday or tuesday for lunch/dinner somewhere? i don't know the hotspots so i can't recommend a place.
there are a couple decent places downtown...pufferbellies is good. upper peach (closer to school) has pretty much any chain place your can think of ...damon's, applebee's, smokey bone's, max and erma's, quaker steak and lube, etc.