LECOM-Bradenton Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They usually fine. I know a few classmates who bought them.

I personally prefer getting slightly used US editions, mostly because the pictures in the international editions are often in Black and White, which bugs me. It's usually not that important, but pretty pictures keep my short attention span happier...

Waitlisters: hopefully something will start happening soon. May 15th just passed, so give them a few days to sort things out and it will hopefully start rolling along...of course, maybe it already has, and you just haven't heard about it... :/
i liked getting the international books. the older 10th ed was b/w. I got the 11th ed phys, the colors are faded but still there. the paper is also much thinner. my edition was ok but a few of my classsmates were missing a page or two. it's a crapshoot but I got it for a steal, new from india. same for robbins. color but faded

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlisters: hopefully something will start happening soon. May 15th just passed, so give them a few days to sort things out and it will hopefully start rolling along...of course, maybe it already has, and you just haven't heard about it... :/

Looks like we will be waiting a while longer actually. I got off the phone with Anette a little bit ago and she said that she will be calling "a few" people who didn't send in 2nd deposits today. She also said that things have been moving more slowly this year and that there are still "a few" people on the accepted list who have not been formally accepted yet. They said that once they get through those people on the accepted list, they will begin taking alternates and that we likely won't be hearing anything until Mid-June :scared:

Quick question I've been thinking about.... when somebody withdraws from their spot at LECOM-B do they lose their entire $1500 deposit or just part of it? Not that this applies directly to me, I'm still on the alternate list, just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question I've been thinking about.... when somebody withdraws from their spot at LECOM-B do they lose their entire $1500 deposit or just part of it? Not that this applies directly to me, I'm still on the alternate list, just curious.

The standard osteo med school BS policy applies. You lose your deposit.

You lose the whole thing....Trust me... :D lol

So I had a question for all those who are accepted LECOM B, but waitlisted elsewhere...what are you doing for housing?? Because you don't want to sign a lease if you aren't actually moving to bradenton... Are you buying the books from the booklist that annette sent us?

So I had a question for all those who are accepted LECOM B, but waitlisted elsewhere...what are you doing for housing?? Because you don't want to sign a lease if you aren't actually moving to bradenton... Are you buying the books from the booklist that annette sent us?

I remember this conundrum. I was waitlisted at 2 of my state schools, and anxiously awaiting an acceptance because we wanted to stay near family if we could...although we loved lecom b. Around the end of June, we had to make the call to give up on State and just move to Florida. So, we found a place and moved. You can stall for a little while by finding a place you like, asking the landlord lots of questions via email, snail mailing the lease (take your time signing it and mailing it back....but not too long, etc). But eventually, you're going to have to make the call too and just do it.

In retrospect, things DEFINITLY worked out for the best. Med school will always be med school, but this area is soooooo much better than our other choices would've been (big cities). And PBl rocks. Having just taken boards, I can say that it definitely prepared us well.

If current or former students could weigh in regarding apartment concerns, I'd really appreciate it.

How far away from school do you think would be too far? I'm looking at all sorts of apartments around Bradenton and Sarasota, and I found one that my boyfriend and I really like but it's 27 min (according to Google maps) from the school.

Here's a list of others that we're considering. If you have any experience with these places, please comment:
The Tuscany
210 Watermark
Turnbury Park
Carlton Arms of Bradenton
McIntosh
Champion's Walk
Heron's Run
Fountain Lake
The Yacht Club
The Vista at Palma Sola
Palms Condo
Colonial Grand
Solana Vista
The Springs at Braden River

Also, if you have any recommendations on general areas, please share your thoughts.

Thanks!

Do what you want, but my recommendation is to stay really close to school. Colonial Grand or Yacht Club would be my choice, if you cant spring for a townhouse or house in LWR or Heritage Harbor. Lots of students live there too, so you'll have study buddies and rides, if needed.

Tough to say. How much is it worth to you to go somewhere else? If you'd be happier there, then it might be worth the expense even with the lease and that sort of thing. As time winds down, your chances at other schools dwindle... if you can get some sense of where you are on your lists and how much movement there has been, that might help you make your decision.

As far as books, if you're in limbo, I would just get the anatomy textbook. You won't need the PBL textbooks until the 2nd week of class for your first PBL session, and even then you can get away without them, especially if you're willing to spend some time in the library until you know about your other schools.

That said, I agree with Digitl. LECOM isn't perfect, but no school is. On the whole, my first year was a good experience, and I don't think I'd have been happier anywhere else. YMMV.

How far away from school do you think would be too far?

That's up to you. I know people who live in Sarasota, and at least one classmate lives up in St. Pete, which is at least 1/2 hour across the bridge. While anatomy is going, you'll probably feel pretty busy, but after that, you have PBL 3 days a week, OMM lab on Thursday, and various other labs, standardized patients, and clinical exam lectures sprinkled here and there, with a Tuesday off now and then.

Most students live in Bradenton or close to it. I live at Springs, and it's an ok place. There are other med and pharm students here. It depends on what you're looking for. I pay a little more than my friends at Carlton Arms, and live in a newer building with a lot more space. Colonial Grand is pretty full of LECOMers, but it's also one of the more expensive places to live, and IMHO it's not so much better than my place that it's worth the money.

I know a few classmates who have found houses to rent for 2nd year... some set this up after 1st semester. So if you were unsure, you could always see how much notice you need to give to avoid a penalty on your lease, and shop around once you settle in here if you don't like your place.

But again, during anatomy, you're going to be at school for quite a few full days. Closer is probably better during that time, but 1/2 hour doesn't strike me as a terrible commute, given that mine is 10-15 minutes.

PM me if you have any specific questions about Springs.

Pay attention to which direction you will be traveling for your potential commute. While google maps might say 27 minutes for somewhere either north or south just off I-75, and 27 minutes for somewhere close to the beach, in reality only the first estimation will likely be accurate. What I mean is, as you move further west the traffic gets much, much worse. There are a million stop lights and people drive SO SLOW. It's bad enough when you get behind the person going 55 mph on I-75, just wait until the speed limit is 35 and there are tons and tons of old people down here for the winter. I personally would not want to have more than a 15-20 minute actual commute to school. I typically don't like to spend much more time at school than I have to, so to drive more than 45 mins for 1-2hrs at school every day would suck. Plus, less time driving means more time to study or have fun. Time becomes a premium once school starts!

Members don't see this ad :)
just got the accepted call today. this is to let everyone waiting know that they're pulling people off the alternate list. Good luck everyone waiting and see the currently accepted people in july.

just got the accepted call today. this is to let everyone waiting know that they're pulling people off the alternate list. Good luck everyone waiting and see the currently accepted people in july.

Interesting, good to hear though. Hopefully we'll be able to get some kind of word regarding waitlist position soon :thumbup:

I live in St. Pete and there is no chance of changing location due to my husband's job etc... you all are making me really nervous now! I guess I'll have to make the most of my driving time. Does any current student have a recommendation for a cd/mp3 that I could play in the car on my commute to hammer in anatomy or anything else? I guess the one good thing is I'm right off of 275 right downtown so at least I'm not in north St. Pete. In the past it's taken me about 45 minutes.

I live in St. Pete and there is no chance of changing location due to my husband's job etc... you all are making me really nervous now! I guess I'll have to make the most of my driving time. Does any current student have a recommendation for a cd/mp3 that I could play in the car on my commute to hammer in anatomy or anything else? I guess the one good thing is I'm right off of 275 right downtown so at least I'm not in north St. Pete. In the past it's taken me about 45 minutes.

It's certainly doable, just not MY first choice. Goljan and Kaplan lectures are perfect for car listening.

Does anyone know if LECOM-Bradenton has rotation sites in Illinois?

Does anyone know if LECOM-Bradenton has rotation sites in Illinois?

In the affiliate list we were given in April, there's no mention of any Illinois sites.

Erie might have some, but even if they do, coming from the Bradenton campus you get 2nd (or 3rd, after the Seton Hill campus) of the northern rotation sites. On the other hand, Bradenton students get first choice of the southern (Florida and the surrounding area) sites, and once you're here the idea of northern winters might not appeal to you anymore...

In the affiliate list we were given in April, there's no mention of any Illinois sites.

Erie might have some, but even if they do, coming from the Bradenton campus you get 2nd (or 3rd, after the Seton Hill campus) of the northern rotation sites. On the other hand, Bradenton students get first choice of the southern (Florida and the surrounding area) sites, and once you're here the idea of northern winters might not appeal to you anymore...
There are year round rotation sites in Bradenton, right? If so, do you know how difficult they are to get? Honestly, I don't care where the year round sites are, as I just don't want to be jumping around all over the country all throughout the year.

There are year round rotation sites in Bradenton, right? If so, do you know how difficult they are to get? Honestly, I don't care where the year round sites are, as I just don't want to be jumping around all over the country all throughout the year.

There are indeed year long rotation sites, for 3rd year only, but those are handed out in a separate process that hasn't happened for the class of 2013 yet. Also, I don't think the list of year long spots for our class has been finalized yet, but it will be in the fall. I believe there are sites in nearby communities at least; I can't remember if there are sites in Bradenton itself. Hopefully Digitl will comment on this, I think he tried to get most/all of his rotations lined up near Bradenton.

EDIT: As far as difficulty, the higher your GPA, the more likely you are to get your preferred year-long spot. That's really all they've told us so far.

There are indeed year long rotation sites, for 3rd year only, but those are handed out in a separate process that hasn't happened for the class of 2013 yet. Also, I don't think the list of year long spots for our class has been finalized yet, but it will be in the fall. I believe there are sites in nearby communities at least; I can't remember if there are sites in Bradenton itself. Hopefully Digitl will comment on this, I think he tried to get most/all of his rotations lined up near Bradenton.

EDIT: As far as difficulty, the higher your GPA, the more likely you are to get your preferred year-long spot. That's really all they've told us so far.
I've read the posts on rotation earlier in the site, I know you get put in with a group (based on preference for location or specialty, right?) and you guys then decide things out? I'm just wondering how housing works. Do you guys (as roommates most likely, right), then have to have apartments lined up all throughout the year in different places?

I've read the posts on rotation earlier in the site, I know you get put in with a group (based on preference for location or specialty, right?) and you guys then decide things out? I'm just wondering how housing works. Do you guys (as roommates most likely, right), then have to have apartments lined up all throughout the year in different places?

You mark a preference for either a specific schedule (if you want a specific month off, for example) or a location and the class president divides you into schedule groups based on those preferences.

I know there are rotation sites that provide housing and/or meals to medical students, but those are increasingly rare. Upperclassmen can tell you more about the details; this is about all I know.

You mark a preference for either a specific schedule (if you want a specific month off, for example) or a location and the class president divides you into schedule groups based on those preferences.

I know there are rotation sites that provide housing and/or meals to medical students, but those are increasingly rare. Upperclassmen can tell you more about the details; this is about all I know.
Hmmmmm, well maybe all of the rotations you need can be in one area then (not necessarily one hospital). I wouldn't really care where I had to do rotations, I just don't want to have to switch apartments every month.

Anyone know anything about lofton meadows??

goljan, kaplan is always good. this past year I gave a lecture with the EM club and passed out 2 awesome audio files to the class of 2013. ask around for the step I packet and look for the mccumbi and gold standard audio files. good luck!

Hmmmmm, well maybe all of the rotations you need can be in one area then (not necessarily one hospital). I wouldn't really care where I had to do rotations, I just don't want to have to switch apartments every month.
I did 20 of 24 rotations in FL, 1/2 of those in the area. could have done all if I didn't check out residency programs in other states. I kept my condo in lakewood ranch for the entire 4 yrs. unless something drastic has changed, it shouldn't be problem

I did 20 of 24 rotations in FL, 1/2 of those in the area. could have done all if I didn't check out residency programs in other states. I kept my condo in lakewood ranch for the entire 4 yrs. unless something drastic has changed, it shouldn't be problem
I'm glad to hear that, cause I was really worried about having to find random places to live every few months. I would much rather just stick to one home for my 3rd year, and do the same for my 4th year. Sure, it will drastically limit the residencies I can do, but it may be worth it to me vs. the hassle of finding multiple places to live.

I'm glad to hear that, cause I was really worried about having to find random places to live every few months. I would much rather just stick to one home for my 3rd year, and do the same for my 4th year. Sure, it will drastically limit the residencies I can do, but it may be worth it to me vs. the hassle of finding multiple places to live.

Shouldn't be much of a problem. I just started 3rd year, and am scheduled to do almost all of my 3rd year rotations here in Bradenton. The only exceptions are OBGYN, which I'm doing back home because it's over Christmas and there was a fairly drastic shortage of local spots this year (malpractice issues mostly, I think), and Peds, which I'm doing in St. Pete, also due to a local shortage of spots...not sure why. St. Pete is certainly commutable though...I'm certainly planning on driving it.

During 4th year, most people do at least 1 or 2 (or more) away rotations. They are very important for securing residency interviews. You go, you work, they see that you rock, and you get an interview. That's just how it works at many places. Can you get a spot somewhere without doing a rotations there? Sure. But it doesn't hurt. Many places will have some contacts regarding local short-term housing if you need it, or you can shack up with other students, friends, craigslisters, whatever.

This also depends somewhat on what you want to do. Obviously, the less competitive specialties, it doesn't matter quite as much. Also, there are expected to be appx 60 local residency spots spread across IM, FM, Psych, Surgery, and likely, ER by the time I (and you) graduate, so if you want to do one of those, and don't mind staying in this area, and don't mind a small-time residency...might be worth looking into.

Anyone know anything about lofton meadows??

It's way to far west for my tastes. Might be good for 3rd/4th year rotations though, if you're staying in this area.

I now make that drive (from Lakewood Ranch) every day at 4am, and at that time, with ZERO traffic, it takes me 1/2 an hour with slight speeding.

When I come home at 4pm, it takes about 45 minutes.

If you're willing to sacrifice that time to be closer to the beach, then look into it more, but you'll be spending much more time at school, and it's a lot better to have a short commute to school and a longer commute the Gulf during years 1 and 2.

If you're West of Route 301, you've gone WAY too far, IMO. Try to stay close to I-75. Lakewood Ranch, Yacht Club, Heritage Harbour, The Springs at Braden River. Pick one of those.

Hey everyone! I could really use some advice on this.

I received my financial aid package from LECOM the other day. I'm still on a waiting list for another school, which I will attend if accepted. Should I formally accept the fin aid package from LECOM right away, even if I'm not 100% sure I'll be attending? Will there be any ramifications for this if I don't attend, or will everything just be cancelled?

I was going to call them today but I had to work all day. Thanks in advance if you can help.

It's way to far west for my tastes. Might be good for 3rd/4th year rotations though, if you're staying in this area.

I now make that drive (from Lakewood Ranch) every day at 4am, and at that time, with ZERO traffic, it takes me 1/2 an hour with slight speeding.

When I come home at 4pm, it takes about 45 minutes.

If you're willing to sacrifice that time to be closer to the beach, then look into it more, but you'll be spending much more time at school, and it's a lot better to have a short commute to school and a longer commute the Gulf during years 1 and 2.

If you're West of Route 301, you've gone WAY too far, IMO. Try to stay close to I-75. Lakewood Ranch, Yacht Club, Heritage Harbour, The Springs at Braden River. Pick one of those.

THanks! you've been really awesome at answering all my posts :))

Shouldn't be much of a problem. I just started 3rd year, and am scheduled to do almost all of my 3rd year rotations here in Bradenton. The only exceptions are OBGYN, which I'm doing back home because it's over Christmas and there was a fairly drastic shortage of local spots this year (malpractice issues mostly, I think), and Peds, which I'm doing in St. Pete, also due to a local shortage of spots...not sure why. St. Pete is certainly commutable though...I'm certainly planning on driving it.

During 4th year, most people do at least 1 or 2 (or more) away rotations. They are very important for securing residency interviews. You go, you work, they see that you rock, and you get an interview. That's just how it works at many places. Can you get a spot somewhere without doing a rotations there? Sure. But it doesn't hurt. Many places will have some contacts regarding local short-term housing if you need it, or you can shack up with other students, friends, craigslisters, whatever.

This also depends somewhat on what you want to do. Obviously, the less competitive specialties, it doesn't matter quite as much. Also, there are expected to be appx 60 local residency spots spread across IM, FM, Psych, Surgery, and likely, ER by the time I (and you) graduate, so if you want to do one of those, and don't mind staying in this area, and don't mind a small-time residency...might be worth looking into.
Thanks for the help, that's good to hear!

Are there any recommendations for a particular roller bag? One that may be better suited for books/school stuff etc? More sturdy? Also, do most students put their laptop in the roller bag as well, or carry a separate laptop bag? Just trying to figure out some logistical stuff. :)

Also, I've been reading a lot of info on previous posts on SDN and other sites that note-taking in med school pretty much doesn't work? Do any current students have any words of advice on this topic? The general consensus seems to be that the volume of reading is not conducive to note taking as a study method. I realize that I will not know what works best for me until I am actually going through med school.

Are there any recommendations for a particular roller bag? One that may be better suited for books/school stuff etc? More sturdy? Also, do most students put their laptop in the roller bag as well, or carry a separate laptop bag? Just trying to figure out some logistical stuff. :)

Also, I've been reading a lot of info on previous posts on SDN and other sites that note-taking in med school pretty much doesn't work? Do any current students have any words of advice on this topic? The general consensus seems to be that the volume of reading is not conducive to note taking as a study method. I realize that I will not know what works best for me until I am actually going through med school.
I've tried a couple, best for it's price is american tourister at wal mart for $38. it has a separate non removable padded sleeve for your laptop

we don't have a note taking service since it's all PBL but a few members of the class of 09 and mine made some "high yield notes" for you guys. I gave a lecture on it and handed out a complete step I/PBL study packet with all the info you'll ever need. ask around. if not, PM methe only notes you should take are into your 1st aid for usmle book. that way by the end of 2 yrs, you'll have a complete review guide for boards.

I've tried a couple, best for it's price is american tourister at wal mart for $38. it has a separate non removable padded sleeve for your laptop

we don't have a note taking service since it's all PBL but a few members of the class of 09 and mine made some "high yield notes" for you guys. I gave a lecture on it and handed out a complete step I/PBL study packet with all the info you'll ever need. ask around. if not, PM methe only notes you should take are into your 1st aid for usmle book. that way by the end of 2 yrs, you'll have a complete review guide for boards.

For bags, you might want to consider a small, cheap carry-on suitcase. Worked great for me!

Re: notes. Don't do it. If you need notes, use the review books and annotate. There are plenty of pre-made notes out there.

Thanks MSmentor018 and Digitlnoize, as always.

Yeah, I kind of had a feeling note taking would not be a good idea, but I guess I needed to hear it again.

Are there any recommendations for a particular roller bag?
[...]
Also, I've been reading a lot of info on previous posts on SDN and other sites that note-taking in med school pretty much doesn't work?

I use a carry-on bag with a built-in laptop pocket, and it works great. Other folks buy a rolling crate for books and carry a laptop bag.

With the volume of things we're expected to read, I'd have never finished if I'd tried to take notes as I went. I found it better to spend my time reviewing after I'd got through the chapters once, or by filling in gaps by reading on the same topic in a different book.

I'm going to assume that graduation already happened since the last time I was on here. Congrats to all of those who just graduated!!! And of course thank you for all of your wisdom here on the board.

Those of you looking for places/worried about finding places last minute. I'll be shortly closing on a 3 bedroom house 5 minutes from the school and will definitely be in need of roommates. Anyone who's interested just let me know.

Are any of you LECOM veterans on HPSP? I'm not getting commissioned for a couple weeks yet and I'm trying to figure if I can buy my books now whether or not Uncle Sam will still refund me.

Hi everyone,

I am a female, 27 yo, LECOM-B College of Osteoapthic Medicine Class of 2014 student looking for one other female class of 2014 medical student to share a 2BR or 3BR apartment. I am currently negotiating a lease in the gorgeous Lake Vista apartments. These apartments have granite countertops, vaulted ceilings, a parking garage, and community gym, pool, and spa. These apartments are 11 minutes from school right on Lakewood Ranch Blvd. The following apartment has already been rented but the address will show you the location: 7804 Lake Vista Ct Unit 302. This link shows pictures of Lake Vista: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...-207-Lakewood-Ranch-FL-34202/2134370474_zpid/

Depending on the lease I am able to negotiate your half will be between $600 and $750 before electric and internet. I am hoping to find the right match so here's a little bit about me: I am a serious student and I want a quiet study-oriented environment, common area must be kept clean (no dishes left in the sink overnight), and you must be willing to sign a 1-year lease that will include penalties for late rent or electric/internet payments. I am pretty easy to live with, but I do expect cleanliness and order. Please give me a ring if you're interested.
Thanks ;)

I'm going to assume that graduation already happened since the last time I was on here. Congrats to all of those who just graduated!!! And of course thank you for all of your wisdom here on the board.

Those of you looking for places/worried about finding places last minute. I'll be shortly closing on a 3 bedroom house 5 minutes from the school and will definitely be in need of roommates. Anyone who's interested just let me know.

Are any of you LECOM veterans on HPSP? I'm not getting commissioned for a couple weeks yet and I'm trying to figure if I can buy my books now whether or not Uncle Sam will still refund me.

As prior service and HPSP I can def say WHO KNOWS lol. Even if they do pay for it, you usually get refunded for things MANY months after you've already purchased them. Goverment efficiency you know;) I'm starting this year, but I def had the same question but I already bought my books. I should've asked my big sib bc apparently you might not need all the ones from the booklist.

As prior service and HPSP I can def say WHO KNOWS lol. Even if they do pay for it, you usually get refunded for things MANY months after you've already purchased them. Goverment efficiency you know;) I'm starting this year, but I def had the same question but I already bought my books. I should've asked my big sib bc apparently you might not need all the ones from the booklist.

Ok...so my big is also HPSP and he said they do pay for it, it takes a month to get the money after the school signs this form.

hi, i was wondering if anyone who is in the class of 2014 has received the insurance forms yet? it is getting closer to orientation day!

Time flies.... congrats to the new class that will start in a couple months!

I haven't been on in a little while but will try and check some of these threads a little more frequently to answer any questions. Been caught up in studying for Step 2 and about to start last year of rotations!

May have already found something, but in case you haven't really anything will work. Don't spend too much on a rolling case but get something that's not too flimsy. My first one was a fairly cheap rolling carry on and lasted about 6months. Filling it up with books is a LOT of weight and just ruined the rubber wheels.

Ultimately it may take a little while for to get into some sort of rhythm and figure what style works for you, but in general I'd say typical note taking like what someone may do in undergrad does not lend itself well to med school.

Like you already probably know the material is not technically hard, just a LOT of it to cover and a lot of synthesizing of concepts and such to do in your head. I took very little notes, if I did anything it was just some highlighting and maybe jotting a few notes down in margins to clarify a topic or remind myself of something. Biggest thing you can do is just read a lot, re-read the material, and maybe read it in a different textbook or section to get another explanation which may help you understand it more fully. There is a lot of memorization, but approaching the material like it's a textbook full of details to memorize will just drive you crazy, stress you out, and probably not the right way to approach it IMHO.

I'm a fairly slow reader, and not that great at just pure memorization, but I'm pretty good at understanding a concept and then applying that concept to a question, so my approach was to really focus on understanding big picture concepts/ideas which usually helped in trying to remember the important details.

All may sound kind of general in theory, but biggest thing is to jump in and just stay up to speed with the material, don't get behind. Work on being disciplined to study each day and that should help in making sure you stay up to speed while still having some off time here and there to go have a life and stay relatively sane!

I was just wondering what the dress code is for orientation (Thursday and/or Friday). Is it standard school attire (shirt and tie/skirt) or is it a suit expected? Thanks

I was just wondering what the dress code is for orientation (Thursday and/or Friday). Is it standard school attire (shirt and tie/skirt) or is it a suit expected? Thanks

I don't have an answer for your question, sorry. Have they sent out the schedule for the pre-orientation yet? As far as I can tell, we have not received it yet. Unless it's buried in an an email and I missed it?

Standard dress code. They'll take your ID photo that day, so if you want to look extra nice for that, that's the only reason to put on a suit.

Just looked back at my emails and they didn't send out a detailed message about pre-or until July 17th last year, so don't worry about missing an email. The basics are, you only have to be there for one of the days, and it lasts a few hours as they make sure all your paperwork (health documents, financial aid, etc) is in and set up your laptop for the school's network. It's split up by last name as far as which day you're supposed to show up, but if you need to show up on the "wrong" day, last year that wasn't a problem. Thursday was busy last year, Friday was not, from what I heard. Expect to wait in line a fair bit if it's busy.

So don't stress about it. And if you're already in Bradenton, enjoy yourself before school starts. Siesta Key beach is highly, highly recommended.

Hey guys! Just got settled down here in Bradenton and was wondering about changing my license/plates. Is there some sort of student exemption where I wouldn't have to change my plates/insurance (only license?)- or does everyone have to do it regardless? Tried finding info on the DMV website but it didn't specify. Thanks in advance :)

Is there some sort of student exemption where I wouldn't have to change my plates/insurance (only license?)- or does everyone have to do it regardless?

http://www.stateofflorida.com/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=210
---
Who Doesn't need [a Florida License]?
-Any non-resident attending college in Florida.
---

It's not clear that this applies to graduate school, but... I know how I'd read it. As far as plates, the web sites say you have to register your vehicle in Florida within so many days (like 10 or 14) of "establishing residency" but if you're a non-resident attending school in Florida, I don't think that would apply. The insurance companies will get you, though, because that's based upon where the car is parked and/or spends most of its time... or that could just be what my insurance people told me, because FL insurance rates suck.

Hope this helps. Keep in mind that this is studentdoctor.net and not studentlawyer.net; I can't vouch for this advice being legally sound!

Hey guys! Just got settled down here in Bradenton and was wondering about changing my license/plates. Is there some sort of student exemption where I wouldn't have to change my plates/insurance (only license?)- or does everyone have to do it regardless? Tried finding info on the DMV website but it didn't specify. Thanks in advance :)
my classmates are going through this question now. those that kept their plates throughout school and now moved/bought a house for residency, what do you do? they transferred the plates over this week, it was over $400. I transferred my plates as soon as i moved here 4 yrs ago and it was 200. go figure. here's how i look at it, if your sticker/insur is cheaper in your state, keep them. as long as you maintain an out of state address to get your sticker/insur verification (like your parents) you'll be fine. there's an exemption that says as long as you're a student, it's ok.