LECOM-Bradenton Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They didn't tell me where I stood and from a recent email they don't rank the list till Late May/June and until then they committee makes decisions on the list as a whole until then. So they can't actually make a decision about "being ranked highly" when they don't rank the list until later. So who ever it was that said that may have an inside track or know someone and I hope they do. it's a great school and a great program.

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

They didn't tell me where I stood and from a recent email they don't rank the list till Late May/June and until then they committee makes decisions on the list as a whole until then. So they can't actually make a decision about "being ranked highly" when they don't rank the list until later. So who ever it was that said that may have an inside track or know someone and I hope they do. it's a great school and a great program.

Cheers

Per my last conversation with someone in admissions (possibly Annette?) THE TOP 20 ALTERNATES are presently ranked, the remaining names are put on a list. So I do see how it is possible for someone to be "highly ranked", and others to be lost in the proverbial sauce, that is the alternate list.

I was also told, but I don't see how that is feasible given the number of alternates, that all alternates are reviewed before someone from the list is offered admission.

Being on the waitlist sucks!! It is a lot of calling admissions, checking this forum, and longing for that phone call from a 941 area code, that for most will never come. An alternate spot means different things for different people, and at this point I would like to know where I stand.

Does anyone know if we will be able to find out where on the alternate list we are once it is ranked? When is the last interview day at LECOM?

WITH LOVE FROM THE GUARD!

HOOKIN

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone could please comment on how the clinical rotations are at LECOM-B and if there are any opportunities for international rotations or if there any international experiences at all. And also, how early do we get clinical experience, I forgot the answer I received during my interview day. Thanks!!

I'm just going to quote what I wrote in the other LECOM-B thread about rotations.

4th year here.

There were a couple of long weekends of driving, but I've never really had a problem with transport. Most places are pretty reasonable as far as giving you the last Friday of your rotation off if you need it for travel.

Really the biggest critique of LECOM-B is the lack of "help" from the clinical ed office when scheduling rotations. They do a lot of telling you what you can't do, and not much in the way of helping you fill spots. The best thing I've found to do is to disregard the clin-ed people in general. Oftentimes I have scheduled a rotation through portal to have them not submit my stuff and be left scrambling the week before the rotation, or have a rotation canceled and them not notify me until the last minute. I'd recommend scheduling your rotations with the hospitals/clinics yourselves, and then tell the clin-ed office what your plans are. This is kind of far off for you guys though. Maybe they will have the system stabilized and fixed by the time you're 3rd years.

Aside from that, there is really a lack of structure in the 3rd and 4th years, and this can be construed as being either a negative (no direction/support) or a positive (extreme flexibility). I chose the latter, in that I was able to do my rotations when I wanted, where I wanted, my electives where I wanted, do lots of what I wanted to do, and avoid things I didn't want to do.

All that being said, I'm glad I went to LECOM-B, and can't imagine having gone anywhere else. PBL rocks my socks, and for the most part (with few exceptions) the faculty are great.

Per my last conversation with someone in admissions (possibly Annette?) THE TOP 20 ALTERNATES are presently ranked, the remaining names are put on a list. So I do see how it is possible for someone to be "highly ranked", and others to be lost in the proverbial sauce, that is the alternate list.

I was also told, but I don't see how that is feasible given the number of alternates, that all alternates are reviewed before someone from the list is offered admission.

Being on the waitlist sucks!! It is a lot of calling admissions, checking this forum, and longing for that phone call from a 941 area code, that for most will never come. An alternate spot means different things for different people, and at this point I would like to know where I stand.

Does anyone know if we will be able to find out where on the alternate list we are once it is ranked? When is the last interview day at LECOM?

WITH LOVE FROM THE GUARD!

HOOKIN

You know they told us different things when different people call. I think that they checked where we are on the "ALREADY RANKED" list and they gave different answers. When I called, another person said the list is not ranked at all, but another person said the list is not going ranked until June? How come there are so many different answers for some people? I don't know what about you guys but I need a clear answer so I can get used to the idea that I won't have a chance at all and stop hoping and checking emails at least twice a day.:mad:

You know they told us different things when different people call. I think that they checked where we are on the "ALREADY RANKED" list and they gave different answers. When I called, another person said the list is not ranked at all, but another person said the list is not going ranked until June? How come there are so many different answers for some people? I don't know what about you guys but I need a clear answer so I can get used to the idea that I won't have a chance at all and stop hoping and checking emails at least twice a day.:mad:

Sorry you guys are getting conflicting reports. I think part of the problem is that our Uber-Admissions Lady, Heather, has been out sick for a while now (I need to check on that), and other people are taking over her considerable duties...maybe they're not entirely up on things...

My best GUESS (from past years) is that there is a list, obviously, and they might have an IDEA of where people stand, but that it's probably not "officially" ranked yet. It's still just a little bit early for that.

This is just a really tough time in the admissions process for everyone. The school's busy trying the squeeze in the last couple of interviews, to make sure they don't miss someone awesome. You guys are dying to find out what's up, people are calling constantly...some of them about NEXT year's admissions...it's insane.

With that in mind, I know it's hard, but try and sit tight and not freak out too much just yet. The list won't start moving much at all until after May 15th (and that doesn't mean May 16th either)...it takes time. I'd imagine that if you're REALLY REALLY high on the list, they'd let you know. Otherwise, I'd assume that you're simply "on the list" which is really not a bad place to be at this point. Don't take no response as "you suck, we don't want you."

Not sure if this has been answered already in regards to rotations, but in any case....

How probable is it that someone can schedule a majority, or chunk at least of rotations for their hometown/state? I'm from the MD/DC area so there are plenty of teaching hospitals in the area, but I'm just wondering as to how do-able this scenario would be. Would it be possible to say have 2 or 3 rotations in a row around your hometown?

Thanks for any help!

I'm just going to quote what I wrote in the other LECOM-B thread about rotations.

Not sure if this has been answered already in regards to rotations, but in any case....

How probable is it that someone can schedule a majority, or chunk at least of rotations for their hometown/state? I'm from the MD/DC area so there are plenty of teaching hospitals in the area, but I'm just wondering as to how do-able this scenario would be. Would it be possible to say have 2 or 3 rotations in a row around your hometown?

Thanks for any help!

Pretty probably. Now, remember you're not going to be able to go to any of the hospitals already associated with medical schools until 4th year (and even then it's tough.

You're better off going to community hospitals (many of which are still quite large). It's fairly easy to set up. Find a doc willing to take you for a month...repeat. Or, get the institution to become a LECOM affiliate. Not as easy, lots of hoops to jump through for them.

I had backup rotations set up back home in Charlottesville, Va...just in case I couldn't get what I wanted down here. Turned out to not be a problem. I am doing OBGYN in Richmond over Xmas break though...

It's not a big deal, as long as you're willing to do the leg work, and don't expect to rotate at Hopkins (not that you'd want to...the big advantage of DO school, IMO, is the Community rotations, where you're not competing with Residents, Fellows, and 4th years for patient time and attending time. All of my rotations are going to be just Me and the Attending. Can't beat that one-on-one awesomeness).

Keep in mind also, that your plans might change. We originally kinda planned on coming home too, but we love it here so much, that we want to stay forever :D

Pretty probably. Now, remember you're not going to be able to go to any of the hospitals already associated with medical schools until 4th year (and even then it's tough.

You're better off going to community hospitals (many of which are still quite large). It's fairly easy to set up. Find a doc willing to take you for a month...repeat. Or, get the institution to become a LECOM affiliate. Not as easy, lots of hoops to jump through for them.

I had backup rotations set up back home in Charlottesville, Va...just in case I couldn't get what I wanted down here. Turned out to not be a problem. I am doing OBGYN in Richmond over Xmas break though...

It's not a big deal, as long as you're willing to do the leg work, and don't expect to rotate at Hopkins (not that you'd want to...the big advantage of DO school, IMO, is the Community rotations, where you're not competing with Residents, Fellows, and 4th years for patient time and attending time. All of my rotations are going to be just Me and the Attending. Can't beat that one-on-one awesomeness).

Keep in mind also, that your plans might change. We originally kinda planned on coming home too, but we love it here so much, that we want to stay forever :D

Cool thanks for the input :) Yea...i figured going to hopkins or any other university assoc teaching hospital wasn't going to be ideal, but there are plenty of other hospitals in this area too. I'm more concerned about this now since it seems like my boyfriend won't be able to get the kind of job he wants down by sarasota and so he is considering staying here while i'm at school :scared:. I've been working at a community hospital for a few yrs now so hopefully those connections will come in handy a couple years from now!

And can i just say how awesome the current students at LECOM-B are...seriously...i've been hounding current students through SDN, email and fb with all questions and all of you are so helpful!

Cool thanks for the input :) Yea...i figured going to hopkins or any other university assoc teaching hospital wasn't going to be ideal, but there are plenty of other hospitals in this area too. I'm more concerned about this now since it seems like my boyfriend won't be able to get the kind of job he wants down by sarasota and so he is considering staying here while i'm at school :scared:. I've been working at a community hospital for a few yrs now so hopefully those connections will come in handy a couple years from now!

And can i just say how awesome the current students at LECOM-B are...seriously...i've been hounding current students through SDN, email and fb with all questions and all of you are so helpful!

What does he do? Has he thought about St. Pete and Tampa. Between here and there, you can pretty much find ANYTHING you could imagine...Tampa is a HUGE city...

What does he do? Has he thought about St. Pete and Tampa. Between here and there, you can pretty much find ANYTHING you could imagine...Tampa is a HUGE city...

He's trying to get into some govt positions with emergency health services management...we've been looking at all the major cities in the area, hopefully something will turn up but the best available jobs are around the DC area.

He's trying to get into some govt positions with emergency health services management...we've been looking at all the major cities in the area, hopefully something will turn up but the best available jobs are around the DC area.

Try the Air Force Base in Tampa?

Are there any 3rd or 4th years that I might PM and ask about the quality of rotations during these years? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any 3rd or 4th years that I might PM and ask about the quality of rotations during these years? Thanks!!

You could try:

MSMentor (see earlier in this thread) 4th year
nlax (probably some of his posts early in this thread, definitely in prior LECOM-B threads) 3rd year.
scpod (all over SDN) 4th year (I think).

Those are your best bets, that I know of. They're all usually pretty nice and helpful. Hopefully they won't mind my referral...

Be careful though, rotations depend on many variables:

Your aggression in wanting to do things and get knowledge. Some people just kick back and don't volunteer to do work, then complain when they didn't learn anything.

Your attending and their comfort level with teaching and with you doing things to their patients. This means that just because Student A had a great rotation at Hospital X with Dr. Jones...that doesn't mean that you will have a great rotation at that hospital. You might not get Dr. Jones. Dr. Jones might not like you even if you do get him. And so on.

Our rotations really are VERY flexible. They are what you make of them. I've heard mostly good things about the rotations around this area, and that most of our doctors seem to truly like teaching and having med students on rotation with them.

One other note: The docs that take students do so on a volunteer basis. This means that they probably don't mind you being there. Some schools supposedly pay their rotation sites, which I think could cause some of the poor experiences some people face on rotations...the docs are only doing it for the money.

Final note (really): You guys might be interested to know (if you don't already) that LECOM is starting many new residency programs at Manatee Hospital here in Bradenton. I'm told that by the time I graduate (2012) we'll have around 60 spots in FM, IM, Surgery, Psych, and maybe ER (not sure of how those numbers split up yet). I've also heard that the IM department plans to add a cardio fellowship in the near future, but this is unconfirmed. We're also adding MORE residency spots at Blake Hospital here in town, but I haven't heard numbers on those. Manatee seems VERY committed, as they just dropped $4 million or so to build call rooms, a library and a bunch of other stuff for us.

Some info can be found here: http://www.bradenton.com/2010/02/05/2033245/manatee-memorial-to-start-medical.html

saw some postings on here looking for a place. my attending is moving out and is leaving a nice, 3 story, 2bd/2ba with loft, basement? for storage, small back yard, parking, safe. 15 min or so from school, 15-20 from downtown sarasota and 15-20 to downtown/west bradenton (where a ton of rotations are). its on tuttle ave and I can't remember the cross st. PLENTY OF TIME FOR YOU TO MOVE IN. the prices are between you and her, she's my favorite attending, still here in the area, and I wouldn't post it for you guys unless it's all good. send me your email and I'll pass it along

I tried to make one with my classmates via gmail but Dr. B said he'd do it and post it on the portal, hopefully with our contact info. I just wonder how is he going to get our new emails since the lecom ones will be useless in 57 days and counting!

I tried to make one with my classmates via gmail but Dr. B said he'd do it and post it on the portal, hopefully with our contact info. I just wonder how is he going to get our new emails since the lecom ones will be useless in 57 days and counting!

Do they actually delete our accounts? I thought they'd be useful for a while still.

Do they actually delete our accounts? I thought they'd be useful for a while still.
I don't know what the actual delete date is but I can only assume once you're done and out of their registration system (ie; no longer paying)....it's a matter of time. I didn't want the rest of the classes to get cut off if they (of one of us) need some info during residency.

FYI, my PBL facilitator mentioned yesterday that LECOM-B has stopped interviewing for the class of 2014.

For a current student, what is BLS?

American Heart Association's "Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers," to give it its official title. It's a CPR course. You take it in the spring of 1st year at the nearby Manatee Technical Institute, a community college with some allied health care programs (nursing and paramedic, among others). Takes about 4 hours, and you get a shiny card at the end.

In the spring of 2nd year, you take Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), which is the next level of care. BLS and ACLS are often (or always?) required by hospitals before you start rotations.

Any current students on here living at the Springs? if so...any comments about whether or not you like living there would be helpful ...It's one of the places I'm considering getting an APT for my 1st yr after visiting this past weekend.
Thanks!

Any current students on here living at the Springs? if so...any comments about whether or not you like living there would be helpful ...It's one of the places I'm considering getting an APT for my 1st yr after visiting this past weekend.
Thanks!

I sent you a PM.

I live at Springs, and I know people who live at the various other apartment complexes where students tend to live, so if anyone else has questions, PM me.

In general, as far as apartments: Springs is a pretty good balance of price/what you get, still expensive though and it's up on 64 so it's far from downtown Lakewood Ranch, if that's important to you. 10-15 minute commute time to school.
Carlton Arms: The cheapest, and you get what you pay for. Lots of folks live here though. Just down the road from Springs. ~ 15 minute commute.
Yacht Club: Comparable with Springs. I've heard bad things about their management, but I have zero personal knowledge about those issues. 10-15 minute commute. Same area as Springs & Carlton Arms.
Colonial Grand: Most expensive, but probably the best location (right across the street from downtown Lakewood Ranch). Apartments are a decent size, but nothing amazing. 10-15 minutes to school? Not sure.

Just curious, any HPSP folks out there in the entering class? I just have to do my physical and I'm all set to go Navy.

Also, I just had an offer accepted on a house, so I'm definitely looking for roommates. Five minutes from school, near the interstate, and probably should be a little cheaper and nicer than getting an apartment. Let me know if you're interested.

Just curious, any HPSP folks out there in the entering class? I just have to do my physical and I'm all set to go Navy.

Also, I just had an offer accepted on a house, so I'm definitely looking for roommates. Five minutes from school, near the interstate, and probably should be a little cheaper and nicer than getting an apartment. Let me know if you're interested.

They accepted you without a physical?
I was going to do Air Force but since Ive had previous surgeries it had to get approved by the surgeon general and that took a week longer than it was supposed to...kinda sucks. Oh well, I might do the 3 year not sure anymore, we'll see. I'm applying Navy now, but still unsure about taking the scholarship in general.:confused:

I notice we dont get a spring break. Is there any way of taking time off to do a mission trip, during the spring break period of other medical schools?

Im asking because I went on a mission trip with the UM med class to Nicaragua 3 weeks ago, and want to go again next year, but am not seeing away of doing it considering we dont get a spring break. Do any current students have any ideas?

I notice we dont get a spring break. Is there any way of taking time off to do a mission trip, during the spring break period of other medical schools?

Im asking because I went on a mission trip with the UM med class to Nicaragua 3 weeks ago, and want to go again next year, but am not seeing away of doing it considering we dont get a spring break. Do any current students have any ideas?
we didn't get a spring break at all, actually not many breaks except for 4 day thanksgiving, 2 wk christmas, 3 day MLK.....I think that was it. what you do during that time is up to you. I loved going on mission trips but there just wasn't enough time to ditch and go during the school year. during rotations is a whole diff story

The only holiday MSmentor missed is Labor Day. No spring break.

People sometimes get excused to go to conferences for a few days, but that's about it. A week-long mission trip during school would probably be too much.

The international medicine society arranges similar trips over summer break if that's any consolation. They're doing trips to the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Haiti, and a few other places this year.

I will also add that you need to maintain a 3.0 in order to get any excused absences. And, they're not likely to excuse you for a week of spring break! Sucks, but college is over. You'll also stop getting Summer Break after 1st year. No time off during 2nd year, except for a couple of days for holidays and a couple weeks at Christmas. You get 1 month off during 3rd year and 1 month off during 4th year. When it falls depends on the rotation group that you're in (mine is in July).

I will also add that you need to maintain a 3.0 in order to get any excused absences. And, they're not likely to excuse you for a week of spring break! Sucks, but college is over. You'll also stop getting Summer Break after 1st year. No time off during 2nd year, except for a couple of days for holidays and a couple weeks at Christmas. You get 1 month off during 3rd year and 1 month off during 4th year. When it falls depends on the rotation group that you're in (mine is in July).

I know, I was just curious about the spring break for the missions trip because it was a very good trip, but its no big deal since LECOM offers the opportunity to do those trips as well. Thanks for the response.

not to mention all holidays during rotation is based on your attending, regardless of what lecom says (which isn't much) !

Does anyone know if we have a white-coat ceremony and our own white coats so we can rep LECOM? =)

Does anyone know if we have a white-coat ceremony and our own white coats so we can rep LECOM? =)
yeah it's in jan, they'll give you the coats with your name, LECOM, and FOMA on the sleeve. they'll offer to sell you a back up coat later on. I ended up buying a clean white one on ebay for $18. you never know when you get ketchup, mustard, blood or the occasional vomit on the cuff

The white coat ceremony is usually the last weekend in January. You get 3 (and only 3) tickets.

In previous years, the school paid for embroidering your name onto that white coat, but that ended this year. (You'd have been amazed by the ****storm that caused among my class!) If you want to have your name put on it, a local business will do it for you for $6. From what I've heard, most folks buy an extra coat or two before clinicals roll around.

The only times you have to wear your white coat in the first 2 years are the standardized patients.

The white coat ceremony is usually the last weekend in January. You get 3 (and only 3) tickets.

In previous years, the school paid for embroidering your name onto that white coat, but that ended this year. (You'd have been amazed by the ****storm that caused among my class!) If you want to have your name put on it, a local business will do it for you for $6. From what I've heard, most folks buy an extra coat or two before clinicals roll around.

The only times you have to wear your white coat in the first 2 years are the standardized patients.
are you serious, they're actually charging now??? yeah it's only $6 but that's a lunch....terrible. thanks for correcting that

are you serious, they're actually charging now??? yeah it's only $6 but that's a lunch....terrible. thanks for correcting that

We had the plain white coats put on us for the ceremony. The coat was free, but that was because FOMA donated them to us. After the fact, the student affairs office gave us the name of a local business that would embroider them for us. Lame.

They accepted you without a physical?
I was going to do Air Force but since Ive had previous surgeries it had to get approved by the surgeon general and that took a week longer than it was supposed to...kinda sucks. Oh well, I might do the 3 year not sure anymore, we'll see. I'm applying Navy now, but still unsure about taking the scholarship in general.:confused:

I'm accepted pending the physical. Everything else is done. I don't have any medical history issues though so I feel pretty good about it. That's rough though I hear getting waivers for anything is pretty difficult.

Are there research opportunities in the Bradenton area? or do most people that want to do summer research projects go to other schools???

Are there research opportunities in the Bradenton area? or do most people that want to do summer research projects go to other schools???

We aren't attached to a big research university, so there's not much; but it is there. There's an OMM research project on pulmonary function and osteopathic manipulations that I know some students are helping with; I don't know any more about it than that. Another faculty member was looking for a couple of students to help with a project on potential inhibitors of topoisomerase, or another one on inhibitors of an HTLV protease. Sounds like real science, but I haven't looked up that faculty member's previous work.

If you do well enough in anatomy, you can apply to help dissect the cadavers for the 1st years' anatomy class. Not research, but another possibility for something to do the summer between 1st and 2nd year.

It's worth mentioning that research as a resume-builder may not be a high-yield way to spend your time, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a deep desire to do research.

Agreed about research. According to data from the NRMP, program directors rank research fairly far down the list of important factors. It certainly can't hurt, but don't do it at the expense of grades, board scores, making good connections, etc...

research is really low but it'll help separate you from the pack if needed. I wouldn't concentrate your time on it since b/c PBL will keep you plenty busy. although there are plenty of opportunities with private physicians or at USF/Tampa. one of the incoming students I've been chatting with is trying to get LECOM affiliated with a neuro dept in tampa. we'll see.

I've heard there is a website somewhere for LECOM-B students seeking roommates....anyone know where it is?

I've been checking out the LECOM SGA website... go here

http://www.lecomsga.com/index.php?pages_id=43&t=Links

then click on classifieds. For some reason it isn't working for me right now (just the classified section), but I've seen some posts there.

That's the Erie site anyway. Bradenton Site. Somehow the spammers got a hold of it so there's a fair amount of Spam here and there on the site, but the housing forums looks pretty clean. Worth looking at.

You'll probably have better luck on the Facebook Class of 2014 group.

To all of you who are waiting, I officially turned down my acceptance this evening! Hopefully one of you will hear something tomorrow! Best of luck to all of you! :luck: