Learning Spanish in the States

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuziQ

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have decided to go into Emergency Medicine, and after volunteering in some ER's, have decided that learning Spanish is a must. I took intro Spanish at my university but unfortunately do not have time to take any more courses (due to major requirements that I need to finish up.) I really want to learn more Spanish, though. Does anyone have any ideas on how to learn Spanish without going abroad?
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

SuziQ said:
Hi everyone,
I have decided to go into Emergency Medicine, and after volunteering in some ER's, have decided that learning Spanish is a must. I took intro Spanish at my university but unfortunately do not have time to take any more courses (due to major requirements that I need to finish up.) I really want to learn more Spanish, though. Does anyone have any ideas on how to learn Spanish without going abroad?
Thanks!!

Suzi, I would really recommend that you try to go abroad if only for the summer. Nothing beats complete immersion, and the cultural experience is just as important, IMO, as the language skills you gain. I am a non-Latina American but I have both studied Spanish for years in the United States and lived cumulatively for several years in Central and South America and Spain, and there is no substitute for complete immersion. There are all sorts of summer programs you could do. I recommend www.cfhi.org (I am going to be doing one of their programs this summer myself). Suerte!