Large Animal Vet in Academia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MintyMoose

tOSU CVM c/o 2028
Reaction score
Hi all, I was recently accepted into vet school and was thinking about my career path in the future. I know I have a long road to go and can always change course but I wanted to get some feedback from y’all. So I want to go into large animal medicine, working with all food animals and perhaps even equine patients. I was thinking about doing this for 5 years or so and then attempting to get a job in academia. I wanted to know how realistic is this? Are there typically positions that open up for large animal professors at veterinary schools? What’s the salary usually like? Any advice is welcomed, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So some states make the salaries of their employees publicly searchable. I know Iowa does this. See Iowa Legislature - State Employee Salary Book. It's fastest if you know the name of the employee, so if you have a directory of faculty members, then you can find their salaries with a little digging.

Most schools like their large animal professors to be board certified, so you might want to go the internship/residency route. One of my classmates who did that just accepted a clinical professor job in the southeast within the past year. And the ISU large animal department has an entirely different set of clinicians from when I went through clinical rotations 7-8 years ago, so positions do open up. Your best source of information about the whole process would be the clinicians at the school you attend, and they're a great way to start your veterinary network.

Reactions: 1 users
Adding in the salary page for illinois as well. You’ll have to search by name of faculty though
And by dog, there's definitely a difference between being boarded and not with those numbers.

Reactions: 1 users