Johns Hopkins for premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JHU14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
a lot of people told me not to go to JHU for premed.
for those of you who attends jhu, is this true?
I had a choice between UCLA, UC Berkeley, JHU, and WashU but I decided to attend JHU since it has a great med school and is located in the east coast.
(WashU was gud as well, but it was located in St.Louis and personally i dont really like that city...)

Members don't see this ad.

I had a choice between UCLA, UC Berkeley, JHU, and WashU but I decided to attend JHU since it has a great med school and is located in the east coast.
(WashU was gud as well, but it was located in St.Louis and personally i dont really like that city...)

UCLA and Cal are notorious for grade deflation (average UCLA gpa is a 3.2 or something ridiculous) All of the above are very competitive and you are going to hvae to work though. Have a good time in college :thumbup: Not sure why this is in the school specific DO forum though

If you are going to JHU, try a program other than pre-med. Something in Chem or the Biological sciences. Or psychology if that's where you are heading.

Just remember to make sure you get all of your admissions requirement for med school along with you other coursework. That and get to know your professors very well and definitely do undergrad research.

Push comes to shove, a few letters of rec and UG research from JH is a very big feather in your cap. Just keep your GPA up.

My parent both used to work there, and I worked there for two summers...and I'm going to say that's true from everything that I've heard. From what i know, it is more difficult to get into JHU for med school if you attended the school as an undergrad.