cgpa & sgpa 3.05 MCAT 500, international student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zhra662

Reaction score
so I’m an international student, and I finished my undergraduate from US. My cgpa & sgpa are both 3.05. The major dip in my gpa occurred in the junior year there was death of multiple family members including my sister, dad, uncle and my best friend, all within a period of 7 months, moreover I also have a supporting letter from Dean of the College for this. I was able to recover with being on Deans list for both semesters of senior year. I have extensive research experience with 2 publications and multiple international presentations. I have clinical experience too and currently working as an MA. My Extra curriculums are strong too, as well as I volunteer for Red Cross. Do I have any chance for for DO school admissions? I’m retaking my MCAT on sept 4.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, I am so sorry you had to go through all of that. I really truly hope that better times come for you in the future.
Based on the experience that some of my international friends have had with medical school, you need a very high GPA, MCAT, and a lot of research and community involvement for medical school, MD or DO. Some of my international friends who have GPA between 3.0-3.5 and ok MCAT score ended up doing an SMP linkage program which I think is a good idea for them.
I don't think it's the end of the road for you. Do really well on the MCAT. You can even contact some DO schools that you are interested in and ask them for their recommendations. I think that would be the best thing to do.
Apply really early next cycle, as well.