PhD/PsyD Job postings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calimich

Associate Professor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently enabled the "open to opportunities" option in linkedin and got this one today. $90/hr doesn't seem too bad...I'm curious how this compares to other regions?
anyone have similar postings? Mods, would a sticky "Employment Opportunities" thread be useful?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• KP Telehealth.docx
    18.2 KB · Views: 201
That does seem like a very good rate, but 1099 employee, no benefits etc. LOTS of these types of postings all over the place right now though! Lets keep em coming.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't look at the listing, but if this is 1099 I believe it is lower than the Medicare rate out there. Doesn't seem that great unless I am missing something.

Reactions: 1 users
Didn't look at the listing, but if this is 1099 I believe it is lower than the Medicare rate out there. Doesn't seem that great unless I am missing something.

Yeah, at that point, might as well see if you can sublease from a group practice depending in how many hours you want. Better pay and tax advantages, depending on how you are set up.

$90 was bad in 2010. With current inflation rates, it’s unacceptable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Perhaps the most honest comment of all SDN psychology, maybe the whole interweb. Of course you're not missing anything, you already know it all, didn't even need to look at (let alone read) the document that the thread is based upon before sharing your opinion. /s

My curiosities remain. Anyone know, and can produce evidence, of rates in other regions? I agree that $90/hr doesn't seem bad, but the 1099 status definitely erode the earnings. A quick search here seems to place $90/hr in line with lower ends of medicare, depending on region ($87-$129)

Perhaps the most honest comment of all SDN psychology, maybe the whole interweb. Of course you're not missing anything, you already know it all, didn't even need to look at (let alone read) the document that the thread is based upon before sharing your opinion. /s

My curiosities remain. Anyone know, and can produce evidence, of rates in other regions? I agree that $90/hr doesn't seem bad, but the 1099 status definitely erode the earnings. A quick search here seems to place $90/hr in line with lower ends of medicare, depending on region ($87-$129)

For what SDN is paying, that is the level opinion I provide. Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.

Looking at the ad, the only advantage is paid no shows and guaranteed work (though that is of limited value in the current environment). Though, you are stuck working specific hours.

Reactions: 5 users
For what SDN is paying, that is the level opinion I provide. Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.

Looking at the ad, the only advantage is paid no shows and guaranteed work (though that is of limited value in the current environment). Though, you are stuck working specific hours.

Don't forget that they expect some level of availability for patients outside of normal hours.

I spoke briefly with a recruiter from Doctors on Demand less than a year ago and they were paying PhD/PsyD contractors $60 for an hr session including documentation time (not CA). I know somebody else contracting for them currently (also not CA) and I think they get $65/hr. Not sure if they pay more if you’re full-time or if they adjust for location.

I think some other teletherapy platforms are more mid-level oriented so that’s probably not a good comparison.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I spoke briefly with a recruiter from Doctors on Demand less than a year ago and they were paying PhD/PsyD contractors $60 for an hr session including documentation time (not CA). I know somebody else contracting for them currently (also not CA) and I think they get $65/hr. Not sure if they pay more if you’re full-time or if they adjust for location.

I think some other teletherapy platforms are more mid-level oriented so that’s probably not a good comparison.

They were paying doctoral providers $60-65 for a 1099 position?!? Who is accepting these jobs?

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users

I know some nursing home companies paying $35/session. There are definitely worse offers. However, given that Kaiser is its own insurer the profit model is slightly different for them than it is for DoD or anyone else that it essentially acting as a middle manager for a contract.

Members don't see this ad :)
They were paying doctoral providers $60-65 for a 1099 position?!? Who is accepting these jobs?

People who need quick cash. I have met a lot of people who keep a day or two of this on the side as a steady income while building a private practice. Same with the nursing home gigs. The Kaiser gig requires more hours though.

I think you're going to want to look at the non-facility rates, which aren't much higher, but range from about $97 to $143 per unit.

If there were more freedom involved in terms of schedule requirements (e.g., if it were more easily integrated into an existing full-time schedule, such as providing a couple hours in the evening a few times per week or on the weekend), I could see why folks might consider taking less than Medicare rates, given the paid no shows/cancellations policy (although I would want to get in writing that the pay for a no show/cancellation is in fact the same as a patient/client hour rather than some reduced amount). But they're asking for a minimum of 30 hours/3 days a week in most positions, requiring some on-site training for a couple weeks in most locations, and dictating that appointments must be M-F and, what looks to me at least, sometime between 08:00 and 17:00. So I don't know if I'd be very drawn to it. But I see the appeal in terms of basically walking into a readymade telehealth clinical setup that you could do in addition to other work while making, if my math is correct, around $1900/week (assuming 7 clients/day, 3 days/week). Although as a 1099, you may only take home like 60% of that, depending on state tax rates, your tax bracket, etc. Caveat--I don't have a therapy practice, so don't know how that would compare to what folks could do on their own.

Reactions: 3 users
I think you're going to want to look at the non-facility rates, which aren't much higher, but range from about $97 to $143 per unit.

If there were more freedom involved in terms of schedule requirements (e.g., if it were more easily integrated into an existing full-time schedule, such as providing a couple hours in the evening a few times per week or on the weekend), I could see why folks might consider taking less than Medicare rates, given the paid no shows/cancellations policy (although I would want to get in writing that the pay for a no show/cancellation is in fact the same as a patient/client hour rather than some reduced amount). But they're asking for a minimum of 30 hours/3 days a week in most positions, requiring some on-site training for a couple weeks in most locations, and dictating that appointments must be M-F and, what looks to me at least, sometime between 08:00 and 17:00. So I don't know if I'd be very drawn to it. But I see the appeal in terms of basically walking into a readymade telehealth clinical setup that you could do in addition to other work while making, if my math is correct, around $1900/week (assuming 7 clients/day, 3 days/week). Although as a 1099, you may only take home like 60% of that, depending on state tax rates, your tax bracket, etc. Caveat--I don't have a therapy practice, so don't know how that would compare to what folks could do on their own.

At least in this area, you'd be pretty full on your own pretty quickly after you set up your infrastructure. Our practice listserv is pretty busy with people trying to find referrals for patients to refer out to due to waiting lists. If you have any experience and desire to see older patients with Medicare, you can pretty much name your hours and how many people you want to see as many therapy practices have opted out here. So, at the very least you could get over what the above offer is, with more flexibility pretty easily.

I think the flexibility of something like Doctors on Demand can't be overlooked despite the lower pay, as well as ease of use (no dealing with insurance, patient recruitment, storing records, liability coverage, LLCs, etc).

I think they 'require' 8 hours a week if you're a contractor but I doubt they are firing people who cost them essentially nothing to maintain once they are credentialed. And being able to work weekends and evenings/late nights and having full autonomy to set your availability for patients to book themselves into week by week definitely fits for people who need the side cash but don't want to do any of the things involved with setting up or maintaining a private practice, even if it's easy.

At least in this area, you'd be pretty full on your own pretty quickly after you set up your infrastructure. Our practice listserv is pretty busy with people trying to find referrals for patients to refer out to due to waiting lists. If you have any experience and desire to see older patients with Medicare, you can pretty much name your hours and how many people you want to see as many therapy practices have opted out here. So, at the very least you could get over what the above offer is, with more flexibility pretty easily.

The downside to medicare is the new rule requiring an in person visit for initials and every 12 mths for telehealth

• Wow
At least in this area, you'd be pretty full on your own pretty quickly after you set up your infrastructure. Our practice listserv is pretty busy with people trying to find referrals for patients to refer out to due to waiting lists.
same here. I guess that's part of my confusion. Insurance and private pay, the demand seems overwhelming and consistent.

I looked recently there and now they're hiring midlevels, I wonder if it was because they couldn't find psychologists to take those rates...

same here. I guess that's part of my confusion. Insurance and private pay, the demand seems overwhelming and consistent.

I mean, I can get that some people do not want to deal with what they perceive the hassles of business are. But honestly, in terms of admin work and bureaucracy, I don't really spend more time on that now than I did in the hospital system. It's front-loaded when you first start out, but gets pretty streamlined after a while. And as for business, I've been full-time private practice less than a year now and I am routinely turning down clinical work and IMEs because I'm already booked out as long as I'd like to be.

When I was newly licensed (few years pre pandemic) and thinking of how to start a private practice, I started down the path of credentialling with talkspace, party of out curiosity, partly out of naivete of the market. They verified my license and I had to respond to a couple written vignettes before "advancing" to their training/onboarding. I was able to get a look at their scheduling system, expectations, and payout schedule. I don't remember exact numbers, but the models allow clients to purchase different levels of care. I was surprised at overall caseload and how frequently they wanted therapists to interact with clients, especially given the low pay. I was also added to their Slack and was shocked at how many layers of people were there. I didn't go any further but looks like many folks have.
Someone's making very good money here, and it's not the clinicians.

I recently enabled the "open to opportunities" option in linkedin and got this one today. $90/hr doesn't seem too bad...I'm curious how this compares to other regions?
anyone have similar postings? Mods, would a sticky "Employment Opportunities" thread be useful?

I know midlevels in that area that take private pay and have wait lists at $175-$200 / session.

no, I'm not looking for any big changes. Tenure is about to happen and the side practice is full. Just enjoy sharing information and trying to better understand the marketplace.
and although I'm not really looking...I'm always curious. There is an option, after tenure, to opt into 2/3 workload, 2/3 pay, same benefits. With all the $$ potential in private practice, this is an interesting choice. Anyone done something like that? maybe a new thread topic

no, I'm not looking for any big changes. Tenure is about to happen and the side practice is full. Just enjoy sharing information and trying to better understand the marketplace.
and although I'm not really looking...I'm always curious. There is an option, after tenure, to opt into 2/3 workload, 2/3 pay, same benefits. With all the $$ potential in private practice, this is an interesting choice. Anyone done something like that? maybe a new thread topic
Can't say I have done it, but I have weighed something similar. Considering working a compressed VA schedule + cash PP vs just diving in the PP pool.

Would you be able to reverse that decision if you ever wanted to or is it more of a one shot deal when you make it?

Would you be able to reverse that decision if you ever wanted to or is it more of a one shot deal when you make it?
It’s reversible, has to be approved and is contingent on college finances and policy, kinda like the sabbatical, but no justification or plan is needed.

FWIW, I don't think "part time" academia really works well in practice, because academia will eat up every minute you allow it to. So, I think in practice, you would wind up with 90% of the workload and 2/3s of the pay a lot of the time.

FWIW, I don't think "part time" academia really works well in practice, because academia will eat up every minute you allow it to. So, I think in practice, you would wind up with 90% of the workload and 2/3s of the pay a lot of the time.
This is pretty much my, and my wife's, biggest concern about this option...perhaps tenure will help me feel more comfortable setting these boundaries?

I admire your dedication to this thread.

I accepted a telehealth 1099 role that pays $85 an hour, commitment of 6 hours a week on average which includes documentation. It's a 6 month at a time contract. I block out the 6 hours, they fill it up with clients, and they are okay with me taking time off for vacation whenever needed. I took the role because I like the client population, the flexibility, telehealth, and the pay is decent in comparison to other telehealth platforms.

Granted, I already work a full-time salaried, well-paying, with full benefits job. Thought I would give this a shot for 6 months and see how it goes. Figured a little bit of play money would be nice. I also was a tad lazy in trying to figure out the PP stitch, liability insurance, medical record system, potential office space and paneling.

Last edited:
Can't imagine taking less than 125/hour for 1099 work. I charge more than that now and have no shortage of opportunity. I make more than that doing telehealth now. There are some real crummy companies who try to cut you out of the money they make. I live in a low COL area. I might consider an occasional 90/hour 1099 for some sort of agency with limited funds to reimburse serving an area/population of need about which I was extremely passionate, but even then... I'm worth more.

I accepted a telehealth 1099 role that pays $85 an hour, commitment of 6 hours a week on average which includes documentation. It's a 6 month at a time contract. I block out the 6 hours, they fill it up with clients, and they are okay with me taking time off for vacation whenever needed. I took the role because I like the client population, the flexibility, telehealth, and the pay is decent in comparison to other telehealth platforms.

Granted, I already work a full-time salaried, well-paying, full benefits, ample paid time off, and pension position. Thought I would give this a shot for 6 months and see how it goes. Figured a little bit of play money would be nice.

What kind of populations / conditions are you seeing in this model?

Granted, I already work a full-time salaried, well-paying, with full benefits job. Thought I would give this a shot for 6 months and see how it goes. Figured a little bit of play money would be nice. I also was a tad lazy in trying to figure out the PP stitch, liability insurance, medical record system, potential office space and paneling.

Can't imagine taking less than 125/hour for 1099 work. I charge more than that now and have no shortage of opportunity. I make more than that doing telehealth now. There are some real crummy companies who try to cut you out of the money they make. I live in a low COL area. I might consider an occasional 90/hour 1099 for some sort of agency with limited funds to reimburse serving an area/population of need about which I was extremely passionate, but even then... I'm worth more.

There are so many of these companies looking for 1099 telehealth psychologists right now. I'd love to hear about peoples specific experiences! Feel free to post here or dm me.

There are so many of these companies looking for 1099 telehealth psychologists right now. I'd love to hear about peoples specific experiences! Feel free to post here or dm me.

I just tossed out a recruitment mailing from Better Help yesterday offering a $2k signing bonus, which I think is up from like ~$300-500 a year ago. They must be desperate.

MA jobs in San Francisco, $96k-122k

• Wow
I just tossed out a recruitment mailing from Better Help yesterday offering a $2k signing bonus, which I think is up from like ~$300-500 a year ago. They must be desperate.
It's nice they bumped it up. But then you realize psychiatrists are getting $30k signing bonuses and it goes back to being a bummer.

Reactions: 6 users

I keep hearing better help advertise on podcasts and they are throwing out there, you can do therapy with your camera off, and do text therapy, things like that. Like.... what...... They are completely shifting how the public views psychotherapy. Its like they are just advertising social connection and friendships and billing for it.

I keep hearing better help advertise on podcasts and they are throwing out there, you can do therapy with your camera off, and do text therapy, things like that. Like.... what...... They are completely shifting how the public views psychotherapy. Its like they are just advertising social connection and friendships and billing for it.

I haven't heard that, but I'm not surprised. It's no skin off their nose if a provider loses their license.

Honestly though, "paid friend" characterizes a sizable portion of therapists and many patients I've had have complained to me about their therapists doing supportive listening and not much else, thus welcoming an EBP perspective. So the horse may already be out of the barn.

They underpay. Even at a full case load (they stagger pay by client load), its nothing special and MAYBE low insurance rates.

True of most tele companies. Its crap work that infuriates me to see us desolve good work. Good work can be done tele. Great RCTs out there supporting that feasibility. But junk in, junk out. This is the newest low market bar.

What kind of populations / conditions are you seeing in this model?

College students, primarily adjustment with anxiety/depression and phase of life issues. Brief; 6 session limit; then referral out. They provide intake and refer out client's who need long term tx or would benefit from in person care.

I mentioned engaging with Talkspace a few years ago...just received this email today. Wow.

Hello,​
As a former provider, we wanted to reach out and share some exciting updates.

Through focus groups, user interviews, and provider surveys, we've heard our provider network loud and clear. Talkspace is more committed than ever to improving the provider experience, starting with a number of major platform investments in 2022.

First up: we recently increased provider pay by 20%. You can expect to be reimbursed $67.90 per hour for Live Sessions (live chat or video) – nearly 2x our competition. And you can still earn bonuses ranging from $100 to $5,000 by maintaining long-term client relationships on the platform.

You can find more information on updated rates under the FAQ's on our network page.

Next: we've removed the reply-by feature (which previously impacted response times). We hope this change will allow clinicians to better manage their own well-being while caring for the well-being of others.

We'd love to reconnect! If you’re interested in working for Talkspace again and would like to hear about other provider incentives we're working on, please re-apply.​

• Hmm
  • Angry