Jefferson (SKMC) vs Temple (LKSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I know this has probably been talked about before but here I am again. I do not mind whichever one of these I end up going to, but I was inching toward Jeff until I got a full tuition ride to Temple. Now things are very interesting for me, as the time for the decision nears, and also because Jefferson has not published financial aid information yet. I will be moving to Philly/South Jersey no matter what, and I am not from the area (my partner and I both got into nearby schools, and we will be living together). I am also going into med school with an open mind regarding specialties (although I am not planning to go into surgery) and would not mind staying in the NE area during residency. I am currently trying to work with Jeff to match the scholarship (or get close), but I am not sure if they will (would appreciate any advice regarding this). If they do end up doing so, then for me the choice is clear, but here is where I currently stand:

Jefferson/SKMC

Pros

• More recognized program (rank is not too far from LKSOM) and better match.
  • Loved the environment with the students and staff on interview day.
  • Everyone seemed excited about the program.
  • Closer (by a few minutes) to where I want to live, and in a nicer/safer area.

Cons

• Bigger class size.
  • More expensive (around 90K a year)
  • Must be on campus a lot throughout the week (adds more money and time wasted)

Temple/LKSOM
Pros

• Cheaper (only need to worry for about 30K every year, 60K less than Jeff).
  • Smaller class size.
  • Not sure about this part, but from interview day, it felt like students go to school less than they do at Jeff, which would be very beneficial for me (again, not sure about this part).

Cons

• The commute is a little bit longer.
  • A bit concerned about the safety of the area.
  • Less recognized and the match is less impressive.

Thank you for taking your time to read and I am grateful in advance for any helpful input that you all can provide.

Kindly,

VT ~ will grow into Vfib some day T-T ~

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
rank difference isn't too big, I would pick Temple unless some program at Jeff is really calling to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)