Einstein vs Jefferson (SKMC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Einstein or Jefferson?

• Einstein

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Jefferson

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

subwaysurfer

Reaction score
Need some help deciding between these two. A little bit about me: I’m looking at surgical subspecialties like ortho, preferably on the East Coast. I have full tuition offers from both, and from my impressions, students are extremely happy at both schools. Both have P/F preclinicals and graded clerkships. Both are far from family.

Jeff
Pros
-better matches into competitive specialties
-loved the location in central Philly
-more home programs

Cons
-large class size, kinda too big
-internal ranking in thirds
-might need car for clerkships
-inhouse exams

Einstein
Pros
-more research opportunities, I think
-cheaper student housing
-more prestige, with it going tuition free?
-great exam schedule (only on Fridays, so weekends are free)
Cons
-Bronx kind of far from Manhattan
-does not match well in fields like ortho? Not sure why
-inhouse exams

Thank you all in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on these great offers! You honestly can’t go wrong with either school, and I would lean towards Einstein a bit but if you’re really interested in ortho then I’d look into the match lists for the past few years. I’m not familiar with them but I think that can help move the needle.

Reactions: 1 user
Jefferson if serious about ortho

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I would go to their SLW if you are able to to get vibes for each school. If not, talk to students at each, and get a feel of which you will vibe with more.

If you are dead set on ortho (or optho) I would say Jeff bc Rothman is a great ortho department and they have lots of matches. Otherwise would recommend Einstein if you’re open to other specialties. Really a toss up here and depends on personal preference

Reactions: 1 users
Can’t go wrong with either, but I believe Einstein is switching to NBME style exams this year.

Can’t go wrong with either, but I believe Einstein is switching to NBME style exams this year.
I heard they are also incorporating UWorld and Boards and Beyond into their classes.

Jefferson is a great school - if you think you want to do ortho, it should be considered (and congrats on the tuition!!) I did a quick search though, and it looks like Einstein matched Duke, NYU, etc. for ortho on the last few match lists, and it should only get better. For the overall school, I would vote Einstein.

Thank you all for your answers! Can anyone at Jefferson speak on the internal ranking; doesn't seem like a true pass/fail system

Status
Not open for further replies.