James H Quillen Coll. of Med. Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll most likely be moving sometime in the beginning of July/late June. :-D

Members don't see this ad.

OrnotMajestic said:
I'll most likely be moving sometime in the beginning of July/late June. :-D
Cool. We will be moving our stuff in three weeks (this April) but we are staying in Nashville till after June. We'll probably be going to stay the first week of July. Between now and then, we'll just drive up for weekends.

How far of a drive is it from Nashville? Four hours? Just curious, because sometimes it's cheaper to fly there...plus I have a friend in Nashy.

Members don't see this ad :)
OrnotMajestic said:
How far of a drive is it from Nashville? Four hours? Just curious, because sometimes it's cheaper to fly there...plus I have a friend in Nashy.

It's 4 1/2 hours by car, 5+ hours if the weather sucks or if you hit rush hour in Knoxville. Unfortunately, flights from TRI are very expensive. Even Greyhound is too much for measly student budgets.

My husband and I will be resuming the long distance thing when we get back. :( If you're ever looking to carpool, let me know! :)

manta said:
It's 4 1/2 hours by car, 5+ hours if the weather sucks or if you hit rush hour in Knoxville. Unfortunately, flights from TRI are very expensive. Even Greyhound is too much for measly student budgets.

My husband and I will be resuming the long distance thing when we get back. :( If you're ever looking to carpool, let me know! :)
Yeah, 4 1/2 or 5 unless you are driving a U-Haul. Then expect 6 - 7 hours. :( It probably is much cheaper to fly to Nashville if you have someone who can drive you from there on. Check with me when you are coming. I may be making just such a trip along about then. Warning though. Come July, I will have no internet access for a couple of months.

Ogibogionekinobi said:
Something that helped me was seeing dissection videos online before the actual lab activity. I found them mid way through the course and did better because of them. Google em. Knowing what you are gonna be looking at is great for reducing stress and getting yourself in the right frame of mind.
Does Quillen have videos like these, anyone know? That sounds like a great tool. :thumbup: :thumbdown: :thumbup: ?

DebDynamite said:
Hey.
We sure do have them- I didn't use them, but lots of students did.
AWESOME!!! :thumbup: :D :thumbup:

Got my "financial aid" letter a couple of days ago. Loans, all loans :( But, on the bright side, I got in to my dream school and I know God will make a way for the money part to work out eventually! Quillen, too bad you didn't give me any money but I still think you rock anyway! Oh, and I turned down the NHSC scholarship. I feel as though that would be my Ishmael.

Geronimo said:
Got my "financial aid" letter a couple of days ago. Loans, all loans :( But, on the bright side, I got in to my dream school and I know God will make a way for the money part to work out eventually! Quillen, too bad you didn't give me any money but I still think you rock anyway! Oh, and I turned down the NHSC scholarship. I feel as though that would be my Ishmael.

Loans, all loans for me as well. :( Only I'm out of state, so I about went pee-pee in my pants when I saw those big numbers I have to sign for. *sigh*
Not that this wasn't expected, it just still is a bit shocking.

Yes, so I should count my blessings! That will save me about 10K or so per year, right? :) None-the-less, maybe we'll find some scholarship down the road? :)

Geronimo said:
Yes, so I should count my blessings! That will save me about 10K or so per year, right? :) None-the-less, maybe we'll find some scholarship down the road? :)

Actually, you save more. Total tuition and fees for me is $34,485.

Wow, that is about what tuition + living expenses came to for me. Yuk! We have our stuff up there in our new place. When you coming up? What are your plans for the summer?

Tuition + living expenses came to about $52K for me. That's a large chunk'o'change.

Here are my plans: I plan on flying out to TN sometime near the end of June and finding a place to live. I will then return to OR, pack up my stuff, have it shipped to that address, then drive out sometime in the first week of July. This will give me a chance to move in, get settled, go to a friends wedding in Philly on the 16th and just explore the area a bit. The hardest part is that hardly any apartments/rooms/houses are listed online. If you, or anyone in the area, knows of any places to rent, I would very much appreciate the help!! Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
OrnotMajestic said:
Tuition + living expenses came to about $52K for me. That's a large chunk'o'change.

Here are my plans: I plan on flying out to TN sometime near the end of June and finding a place to live. I will then return to OR, pack up my stuff, have it shipped to that address, then drive out sometime in the first week of July. This will give me a chance to move in, get settled, go to a friends wedding in Philly on the 16th and just explore the area a bit. The hardest part is that hardly any apartments/rooms/houses are listed online. If you, or anyone in the area, knows of any places to rent, I would very much appreciate the help!! Thanks! :)
Yep. I too could not find much online. Apartmentguide.com and rentnet.com have only 5 or six apartment listings.
I think the school has a listing of places to rent posted on their web site for incoming students. Try this link http://com.etsu.edu/default.asp?V_DOC_ID=1606 and click on "housing listing" about half-way down. Good hunting! :thumbup:

Also, if you want, you might contact a real estate person in the area. They could probably refer you to a property management group and then you could get a list of current available apartments that they might have when you come to town.

Thanks everyone!! I have that site bookmarked and I'll make sure to look up some realtors for property management folks. Seems cost of living is way cheaper than where I'm at right now, so I'm quite pleased. :)

The only thing I'm gonna need to get used to is sales tax....us Oregonians are kinda spoiled. ;)

OrnotMajestic said:
Thanks everyone!! I have that site bookmarked and I'll make sure to look up some realtors for property management folks. Seems cost of living is way cheaper than where I'm at right now, so I'm quite pleased. :)

The only thing I'm gonna need to get used to is sales tax....us Oregonians are kinda spoiled. ;)
Yes, too bad you don't get the experience of working without an income tax here though. That is nice, unless you are a professional. I think the prof. tax is $400 a year in TN, is that right? It doesn't matter if you are working or not, you have to pay that just to keep your license. That applies, to M.D.s, J.D.s, D.C.s, D.O.s, etc...

Anyone have any recommendations for health insurance beyond what the school recommends? I seem to remember someone posting this somewhere previously, but I searched this and the "Any Tennesseans" thread and couldn't find it. Any suggestions are welcome!

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
Anyone have any recommendations for health insurance beyond what the school recommends? I seem to remember someone posting this somewhere previously, but I searched this and the "Any Tennesseans" thread and couldn't find it. Any suggestions are welcome!
I'm still looking at different options. We have till July 1st, right? I'm covered with my current health plan through August. I'm going to look into the school's plan (any suggestions anyone about that plan), Blue-Cross Blue-Shield, some private guy's options, and possible COBRA (keeping my old insurance for a year - 18 months). I heard from one med student that "although costly" (aren't they all) the school's plan is actually pretty good. I've heard from two others students that the schools plan is crap. So, I guess it depends on your perspective and outlook.

Perhaps a recent grad can answer this. What is the housing market like in and around Johnson City? In other words, would the arse pain of buying/paying for a house while in medical school be worth the equity I could earn in 4 years? Any insight or opinions are greatly appreciated!

Since no one else seems to be checking these (I think their last finals were yesterday) I'll give you my answer although, mind you, I haven't lived there for 4 years. I'll just tell you what our real estate agent told us. Basically, real estate doesn't go down at all. It goes up more in some areas of the Tri-Cities more than others. Certain areas are very popular and others are less. The home we bought appreciated from it's last sale in 1999 to this one in 2005 14K. We are way out in the country and the house is a 3 bedroom, 2 full bath, 1400 sq. feet with a full unfinished basement, and a 2 car garage sitting on about 4/5 acre.

I know UT has a recommended/mandatory equipment list, but I wondered if ETSU has a similar list. Obviously a stethoscope is a no-brainer, but do we need to buy oto-/opthalmascopes, sphygmomanometers :D , reflex hammers, etc. ?

On a related note, anyone seen an updated textbook list for 2005? All that I can find on the web site is the 2004 list. I am trying to get a leg up and buy stuff why I am still working and geting a salary. Thanks in advance!

Geronimo said:
I'm still looking at different options. We have till July 1st, right? I'm covered with my current health plan through August. I'm going to look into the school's plan (any suggestions anyone about that plan), Blue-Cross Blue-Shield, some private guy's options, and possible COBRA (keeping my old insurance for a year - 18 months). I heard from one med student that "although costly" (aren't they all) the school's plan is actually pretty good. I've heard from two others students that the schools plan is crap. So, I guess it depends on your perspective and outlook.
FYI and FWIW, I ended up going with Blue Cross/Shield's H18 plan. High deductible ($5K) but 100% after that (80% off network). Since I'm a low utilizer, I figure this is mainly for emergency and catastrophic coverage anyway. They also have one of the largest networks available. For a single dude, it is $73 / mo plus $26.50 for dental, which beats the school's plan. Not sure the family rate. As always, good luck and check six!

I was at the school last week and heard from a number students that we shouldn't buy any books yet. They said the "grid books" were good to study from but than other than that, notes are great at Quillen. Each person may vary in how they like to study and you shouldn't just go buy all the books expecting that you'll need them. I plan on following this policy. As to supplies, I knew I would need stethoscope, oto-opthalmoscope, blood pressure cuff, etc... so I found it. They will have a guy there from Chicago selling stuff during the week of orientation. I've heard the prices are decent.

Anyone heard anything more about the RPCT?

Geronimo said:
I was at the school last week and heard from a number students that we shouldn't buy any books yet. They said the "grid books" were good to study from but than other than that, notes are great at Quillen. Each person may vary in how they like to study and you shouldn't just go buy all the books expecting that you'll need them. I plan on following this policy. As to supplies, I knew I would need stethoscope, oto-opthalmoscope, blood pressure cuff, etc... so I found it. They will have a guy there from Chicago selling stuff during the week of orientation. I've heard the prices are decent.

Yo, whadup G.! (sorry, just had to say that! :D )
Maybe I'm totally clueless, but what are the "grid books"?

Geronimo said:

I'm in it! PM me if you have any questions about it. I'll leaving for a prolonged trip back home tomorrow, so it may take a week to hear back.

Grid books are the Board Review Series books. I guess they are called that because of the spiffy grid pattern on the cover. :)

manta said:
I'm in it! PM me if you have any questions about it. I'll leaving for a prolonged trip back home tomorrow, so it may take a week to hear back.

Grid books are the Board Review Series books. I guess they are called that because of the spiffy grid pattern on the cover. :)
I'm curious if anyone has received their apps. Manta, were you in Rogersville or Mt. City? How long is your drive? Do you carpool or drive it alone?

Good idea! Summer has scattered the Tennesseeans I suppose.

I'm in Rogersville, which is about an hour drive. There are cars supplied for this, and honestly, the drive there and back is one of the best parts of rural track! :) I need to warn you, however, that Rogersville itself really isn't rural - there's a Super Wal-Mart across the street from where MS-1 and MS-2 students have their rural and community classes. It sounds like third and four year provide more opportunities to participate in rural health care. So, in the long run, it doesn't matter much. But I was pretty surprised on my first day there.

Mountain City is much more out of the way, and it's a little more than an hour away. I have to say that at least in our class, the Rogersville people had more fun! ;)

Geronimo said:
I'm curious if anyone has received their apps. Manta, were you in Rogersville or Mt. City? How long is your drive? Do you carpool or drive it alone?

Sounds exciting. Maybe I'll carpool some then. I'm glad they have a Wallie World in Rogersville. So, that should mean cell phone reception is okay as well, huh? :)

Anyone (if there is anyone on this besides me Manta and Geronimo :) ) know anything about Miller Crest apartments? I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has lived there or knows (visited) someone who lives there. Any genreal impressions you have about the complex and community are welcome. It looks like I won't be able to physically get myself to JC before middle July (thank you USAF!), so I'm trying to "virtually" find a place. Thanks in advance!

Well, I'm here but these next few weeks are proving to be quite busy (and stressful) as I attempt to work full-time, clean out and pack a 2 bedroom apartment by myself, then haul my happy rear 3000 miles to JC. So I more "lurk" than anything else.

I don't know anything about the Miller Crest apartments....but do you know where they are located? I found that most apartments advertised online were a hefty distance from school (well, more than *I* wanted to deal with). Have you tried calling any of the places that QCOM puts up on their website?

OrnotMajestic said:
Well, I'm here but these next few weeks are proving to be quite busy (and stressful) as I attempt to work full-time, clean out and pack a 2 bedroom apartment by myself, then haul my happy rear 3000 miles to JC. So I more "lurk" than anything else.

I don't know anything about the Miller Crest apartments....but do you know where they are located? I found that most apartments advertised online were a hefty distance from school (well, more than *I* wanted to deal with). Have you tried calling any of the places that QCOM puts up on their website?

Miller Crest is just north of the med ctr/school within 5 min (search apartments.com for the exact address...I don't remember off top of my head :p ). Availability is limited, esp if you are looking for 2br with W/D hookups, since not all units have W/D hookups.

One of the curses of being an "older" (I'm 33) student is the fact that once you accumulate enough "stuff" you want ot be able to keep said stuff where you can use it. Therefore, I called most of the 2 br+ (and a couple of the 1 br) places in JC on the school's list. Every 2br in JC on the school's housing list is gone. I didn't try some of the ones farther out in Jonesborough and Gray, though. The most promising places closest to the school on the June list (2 on Highland, and 1 on Lamont) are already gone...aparently taken by those cunning MS IIs :rolleyes: I called one other place that was available, but the landlord lady just seemed wierd (can't remember which one...I wrote it down at work :thumbup: so PM me if you want). I also didn't check out any of the larger 3br+ places over $700 since I don't want a roommate, and anything over ~$600 is out of my price range. Good luck and see you on Jul 25!

BTW OrnotMajestic,
**** hot for getting into Quillen as a non-Tennessean! The other two of "you" should chime in :D ! Also, I sympathize on the move. I'm in the military almost exactly 1900 miles away from Johnson City right now! Good luck and see you in a few weeks!

I completely understand....I'm about "mid" age (26) so I have managed to accumulate "stuff". My only issue was it was cheaper to sell my stuff and buy out there than move it, so that's what I did! I'm sending in the papers today for a 1BR place on the tree streets about a mile from campus....and once I arrive I'll fill it up with whatever furniture I can find!!

Good luck with your 1900 mile move!! Looks like we both have looooong drives ahead of us! Thanks for the congrats on getting into Quillen as a non-resident...I was shocked to even get a secondary app, let alone an inerview and acceptance because I know how exclusive they are! (They were faster than my in-state school, go figure)

See y'all July 25th!!

OrnotMajestic said:
I completely understand....I'm about "mid" age (26) so I have managed to accumulate "stuff". My only issue was it was cheaper to sell my stuff and buy out there than move it, so that's what I did! I'm sending in the papers today for a 1BR place on the tree streets about a mile from campus....and once I arrive I'll fill it up with whatever furniture I can find!!

Good luck with your 1900 mile move!! Looks like we both have looooong drives ahead of us! Thanks for the congrats on getting into Quillen as a non-resident...I was shocked to even get a secondary app, let alone an inerview and acceptance because I know how exclusive they are! (They were faster than my in-state school, go figure)

See y'all July 25th!!
Let me know when you guys are driving in. If you need help unloading some of that new furniture, I might be in town to help you out. All my stuff is unloaded and mostly unpacked. So, except for changing diapers and sleepless nights, I would love to help out if you need some help. PM me for my phone number, (OrnotMajestic, you already have it) and give me a call.

Geronimo said:
Let me know when you guys are driving in. If you need help unloading some of that new furniture, I might be in town to help you out. All my stuff is unloaded and mostly unpacked. So, except for changing diapers and sleepless nights, I would love to help out if you need some help. PM me for my phone number, (OrnotMajestic, you already have it) and give me a call.
Thanks for the offer! I'll have to see how the Air Force runs its 2 minute drill, but if all works out, the military SHOULD pay movers to move my stuff . If they drop the ball and don't get the paperwork done in time, I will definitely take you up on that offer! I'm hoping to get into town sometime on the 18th or 19th of Jul. I look forward to meeting everyone in person!

Well, i'm not "moving" anything per se, save what is in my car. Instead, I'm just buying stuff out there....which means I may need help hauling stuff, but I'm sure I can work it all out. :) Thanks for that offer!! I'll give you a call once I'm in town. :)

OrnotMajestic said:
Well, i'm not "moving" anything per se, save what is in my car. Instead, I'm just buying stuff out there....which means I may need help hauling stuff, but I'm sure I can work it all out. :) Thanks for that offer!! I'll give you a call once I'm in town. :)
Wish I had a truck. That could help more on the hauling end. I actually have a little Ford Focus. I doubt it could haul very much :laugh: but oh well. My arms are here (or rather, will be there) to serve!

T-minus one week till I get in my car and start the 2800 mile drive to TN!!!

Less than a month till orientation...can you believe it?

OrnotMajestic said:

So, you will make it to TN by about when? My wife is going to be induced next Tuesday if the baby doesn't come before. I'd say we'll be in JC by next Friday, the 8th. Let us know when you make it into town.

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
Bump! These Class of 2009 threads are multiplying like rabbits on viagra! :D
We've been around for a while though. :)

OrnotMajestic said:

I'll look for the Oregon tags on the interstate :laugh: Actually, I think you will beat me to JC by a week, as I'm not leaving until 15 Jul.

Does anyone know how flexible orientation is? I mean, if I have to take half a day to receive my household goods from the movers, is that doable?

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
I'll look for the Oregon tags on the interstate :laugh: Actually, I think you will beat me to JC by a week, as I'm not leaving until 15 Jul.

Does anyone know how flexible orientation is? I mean, if I have to take half a day to receive my household goods from the movers, is that doable?
I guess you'll have AZ tags, huh?

Geronimo said:
I guess you'll have AZ tags, huh?
Yep! Since my tags expire in July, I'm going to go ahead and renew in AZ then get TN tags in '06. The new TN plates look pretty cool don't you think!

Bump! FWIW, I'm planning on getting into town on 20 July. And FYI, good luck finding a hotel the weekend of the 22-24 with the Jehova's Witness Convention in town. See you all in a few weeks!