IUHS - Information from Current Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Gambino

Many IUHS students have been accepted into US based programs but cannot move out-of-state away from their support system or to an island and complete medical school. They have an established career already along with bills and mortgages to pay. Most of the students Ive met at IUHS are Chiropractors, Nurse Practitioners or PA's and just want career advancement. They work full-time or part-time and go to class in the evening.

To answer your previous question:
IUHS students apply for the ecfmg as soon as they start the first semester- that keeps them protected. The WFME accreditation is "supposed to granted" in Spring 2021 per the Registar that I recently spoke to. Lets hope that's the case, either way I'm covered.

Lets try to do more Networking and less debating.... I am more interested in learning from everyone here.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current student at IUHS. I have started this thread to reach out to other current students who may wish to share their experiences and to prospective students who may have questions.

The IUHS program: The first two years of Basic Medical Sciences is on line with live lectures. The Basic Medical Science curriculum takes 27 months to complete. It is followed by the usual 80 weeks over years three and four in U.S. hospitals. The 27 months begins with "Block Zero" (now called "PMT"). PMT is 12 weeks. Blocks 1 -8 are each eight weeks long and comprise the medical and science knowledge needed to be a physician. Blocks 9 and 10 are intensive review, study and practice testing for the USMLE Step 1 Examination. I just finished Block 3 and begin Block 4 on August 18, 2014. There is about a one to three week break between each block. You can finish five blocks per calendar year.

Each Block so far has been 85-100 lecture hours. Yes, they are on-line. The Power Point slides are available ahead of time if you are like me and want to preview each lecture. I print them out and write notes on them as the professor lectures. 85 - 100 lecture hours spread over seven weeks is 12 -15 class hours a week. Week 8 is study time and a final examination. I study at least two hours for every lecture hour. Literally thousands of practice questions (USMLE style questions) are provided to study (best estimate is 1,200 - 1,500 per block)

Beginning in Block 1 there is "DxR" which is a computer program with a virtual patient to practice on. There is also 20 hours a month working in the clinic with a physician mentor. Thus, the program is not just an "on-line medical school." Bottom line is you have to be mature, self-motivated and dedicated to succeed in this program. Many have and are doing it. The question you must ask and answer for yourself: how bad do you want to be a physician?

The estimated cost over four years is $70,000. This figure does not include living expenses if you have to move elsewhere for clinical rotations.

Please post your impressions if you are a current student. If you are a prospective student or just curious post your questions too. I invite my classmates to join me in responding. If you want to keep it private, send me a PM. If all you have to contribute is nastiness please don't bother. I hope that this thread will be helpful. Good luck to all.

So I'm guessing your doing your residency now. What recommendations do you have for someone starting out in Block 0 this fall?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a current student at IUHS. I have started this thread to reach out to other current students who may wish to share their experiences and to prospective students who may have questions.

The IUHS program: The first two years of Basic Medical Sciences is on line with live lectures. The Basic Medical Science curriculum takes 27 months to complete. It is followed by the usual 80 weeks over years three and four in U.S. hospitals. The 27 months begins with "Block Zero" (now called "PMT"). PMT is 12 weeks. Blocks 1 -8 are each eight weeks long and comprise the medical and science knowledge needed to be a physician. Blocks 9 and 10 are intensive review, study and practice testing for the USMLE Step 1 Examination. I just finished Block 3 and begin Block 4 on August 18, 2014. There is about a one to three week break between each block. You can finish five blocks per calendar year.

Each Block so far has been 85-100 lecture hours. Yes, they are on-line. The Power Point slides are available ahead of time if you are like me and want to preview each lecture. I print them out and write notes on them as the professor lectures. 85 - 100 lecture hours spread over seven weeks is 12 -15 class hours a week. Week 8 is study time and a final examination. I study at least two hours for every lecture hour. Literally thousands of practice questions (USMLE style questions) are provided to study (best estimate is 1,200 - 1,500 per block)

Beginning in Block 1 there is "DxR" which is a computer program with a virtual patient to practice on. There is also 20 hours a month working in the clinic with a physician mentor. Thus, the program is not just an "on-line medical school." Bottom line is you have to be mature, self-motivated and dedicated to succeed in this program. Many have and are doing it. The question you must ask and answer for yourself: how bad do you want to be a physician?

The estimated cost over four years is $70,000. This figure does not include living expenses if you have to move elsewhere for clinical rotations.

Please post your impressions if you are a current student. If you are a prospective student or just curious post your questions too. I invite my classmates to join me in responding. If you want to keep it private, send me a PM. If all you have to contribute is nastiness please don't bother. I hope that this thread will be helpful. Good luck to all.
Hello, I will be joining IUHS. How was your experience with them. Any do's or not to do's that you suggest.
Thanks