Is this for real or trolling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UndecidedMS2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
is this a typo? It’s less than NP/PA rate. Is this where the future of this is field going? I think everyone going to the field knows the days of $700-800k are moslty over but $116/hr after 5 years of residency and passing 4 boards?? What kind of a self respecting rad onc would even think about this let alone taking it.
IMG_7954.jpeg

Members don't see this ad.

Wonder what they mean by “travel” work type. Is it possible this is like medical review for an insurance company or some such?

Locums rates in some parts of California are abysmally low...<1k.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
is this a typo? It’s less than NP/PA rate. Is this where the future of this is field going? I think everyone going to the field knows the days of $700-800k are moslty over but $116/hr after 5 years of residency and passing 4 boards?? What kind of a self respecting rad onc would even think about this let alone taking it.
View attachment 382829

Probably not unreasonable for a locums baby sitting position for someone who is basically retired in a place like Los Angeles or San Diego. If you were expected to see follow ups and consults ect ya that is way low.

Probably not unreasonable for a locums baby sitting position for someone who is basically retired in a place like Los Angeles or San Diego. If you were expected to see follow ups and consults ect ya that is way low.
Can someone explain why someone would be paid to babysit when babysitting is no longer required. Paying someone to keep up appearances?

Can someone explain why someone would be paid to babysit when babysitting is no longer required. Paying someone to keep up appearances?
Yep. Technically if freestanding and you need to be "immediately available" via app, how can you be available when you are vacationing in Bora bora or skiing in the Alps or something?

A little bit of prevention instead of lots of cure? Although could argue it seems like these suits just aren't happening much anymore

View attachment 382829
The free market in SoCal different than the free market in Iowa or Wisconsin

Reactions: 1 user
Yep. Technically if freestanding and you need to be "immediately available" via app, how can you be available when you are vacationing in Bora bora or skiing in the Alps or something?

A little bit of prevention instead of lots of cure? Although could argue it seems like these suits just aren't happening much anymore
Immediately available via app? Like remotely offsite? (WhatsApp?) Then why would someone need to physically babysit. If saying that someone can’t do this from an international location is impossible, I don’t know. Technically any time away from the clinic is “vacation.”

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Immediately available via app? Like remotely offsite? (WhatsApp?) Then why would someone need to physically babysit. If saying that someone can’t do this from an international location is impossible, I don’t know. Technically any time away from the clinic is “vacation.”

Can you really be "immediately" available from a ski lift? I personally don't think so.

In any case though, it is definitely not going to make you want to pay top dollar for a locums for that purpose though, no doubt

Can you really be "immediately" available from a ski lift? I personally don't think so.

In any case though, it is definitely not going to make you want to pay top dollar for a locums for that purpose though, no doubt
The “ski lift” aspect is a distractor though right. If you’re not in the clinic, you’re doing non clinical, non rad onc things… unless you are perched in some rad onc authorized hermetically sealed remote supervision isocube.

Members don't see this ad :)
The “ski lift” aspect is a distractor though right. If you’re not in the clinic, you’re doing non clinical, non rad onc things

not necessarily? this doesnt seem that complicated.

theres a difference between being at home near a computer or a phone to review stuff, answer calls/pages in the freedom of your home vs being on a ski lift, plane, etc.

not necessarily? this doesnt seem that complicated.

theres a difference between being at home near a computer or a phone to review stuff, answer calls/pages in the freedom of your home vs being on a ski lift, plane, etc.

Is there a difference? It's only as complicated as it could be made legally. Planes now have broadband connections. I have checked images on long car rides e.g. Some people check images "on vacation" while drinking wine in restaurants, I have heard tell. The ability to look at an image or audio/visual interact with a therapist seems unrelated to the mode of transport. Accessing an LTE or 5G or wifi connection is almost geographically ubiquitous these days.

I virtually supervised ChatGPT to make a poem:

In a land not too far, but a bit out of sight,
Lives a doctor who travels, both day and by night.
With a laptop in hand and a smartphone too,
They're "immediately available," this much is true.

In Paris they stroll, 'neath the Eiffel so tall,
While patients back home, on their doctor do call.
"Bonjour!" says the doc, from a cozy café,
Virtual supervision, keeping illness at bay.

Or perhaps in the rainforest, so lush and so green,
The doctor is trekking, a sight to be seen.
With a webcam in tow, and a wifi connection,
They're ready to help, without an objection.

On a safari in Africa, with lions and zebras,
The doctor is there, not a moment to spare.
With a click of a button, and a wink of an eye,
They're virtually present, no need to be nigh.

In the Himalayas, so icy and cold,
The doctor is climbing, fearless and bold.
But fear not, dear patient, for help is at hand,
Through virtual supervision, they're still in command.

So wherever you are, whatever you do,
Know that your doctor is thinking of you.
With virtual direct supervision, they're never too far,
Ready to help, wherever they are!

*EDIT: One thing I think confuses this discussion is many seem too think that the communication must be "always on" for virtual direct. That's not true. You just need to be audiovisually reachable at the moment the supervision is needed.

1708274853768.png

Last edited:
  • Love
The payoff from using capital to pay for physical babysitting in the virtual supervision era is just like the radiobiological payoff of using more than 100 kV/µm LET ;)

2024-02-18 11_11_49-scan_20240218160226.jpg @ 25% (RGB_8#).png

You’re not going to be taking vacations in bora bora or the alps after socal COL at $116/hr. Vegas at the Luxor, maybe.

Biggest wtf in that post is mandated covid vaccine and booster. California is insane in so many ways.

Hard pass.

Midwest FTW.

Ok so they are asking for board cert in physics. This is a physics job post still wtf.

Wow, locum therapists may make more than that in my neck of the woods.
Cali is terrible for physicians and professionals in general. Col is very high and reimbursement is low. There also seems to be a large supply of young physicians who want to work in the area, while the supply of non physician ancillary staff (therapists, techs, etc) is low. This has led to a severely f'd up market where ancillary staff salaries are very high while doctor wages are some of the lowest in the country. Some physicists are definitelt being offered physician type salaries, and I've heard dental hygienists are starting to command close to what a salaried dentist makes.

Cali is terrible for physicians and professionals in general. Col is very high and reimbursement is low. There also seems to be a large supply of young physicians who want to work in the area, while the supply of non physician ancillary staff (therapists, techs, etc) is low. This has led to a severely f'd up market where ancillary staff salaries are very high while doctor wages are some of the lowest in the country. Some physicists are definitelt being offered physician type salaries, and I've heard dental hygienists are starting to command close to what a salaried dentist makes.
Sounds like elementary school economics.

Sounds like elementary school economics.
Love the pun. And yes, the his is about as elementary as it gets. Employers will always offer the lowest possible wage the market is willing to accept. I’m saying this a totally non judgmental way, but the younger generating in my experience seems to place more of an emphasis on other factors like location and hours than reimbursement. Combined with coming up where some of these rates are just normal to them, it’s not ever getting better.

FWIW, I have no idea what the going locums rates are. I have no interest in working more than my normal job (which I enjoy). I delete their emails without reading them and never answer their calls. Any phone message that starts with “Hello Dr” is immediately deleted. My only frame of reference is that we get a $1,000 per day incentive payment for covering our own satellites. That’s right, our leadership is forward thinking enough to recognize some of their business decisions mean we are doing way more coverage than initially agreed and the best way to show people they have a skin in the game is to share the benefits. I would personally want at least double that to work somewhere that I don’t know the system and have to travel etc.

The spam I get from locums agencies is getting out of hand. It does not indicate a healthy job market. With the glut of recently retired boomer (hence the large number of full-time ads), this problem is only going to get worse with a flooded market of those looking to make a little here and there. The only decent locums jobs I have worked have been word of mouth or direct referral. I have never once successfully negotiated a locums gig through one of these agencies. They invariably will always be able to find somebody with a pulse and a license who will show up for whatever the going rate was in 1985 (because that's what year they think it is).

The spam I get from locums agencies is getting out of hand. It does not indicate a healthy job market. With the glut of recently retired boomer (hence the large number of full-time ads), this problem is only going to get worse with a flooded market of those looking to make a little here and there. The only decent locums jobs I have worked have been word of mouth or direct referral. I have never once successfully negotiated a locums gig through one of these agencies. They invariably will always be able to find somebody with a pulse and a license who will show up for whatever the going rate was in 1985 (because that's what year they think it is).
Rates are up post covid vs pre and so is demand IMO.

Not even in the same league as med onc or GU locums but it definitely seems better now than say 3-5 years ago

No sirspamalot in a locums thread shows us he's truly gone

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Rates are up post covid vs pre and so is demand IMO.

Not even in the same league as med onc or GU locums but it definitely seems better now than say 3-5 years ago

Going rate through the agency seems to be around 2k now in less desirable places. This is up from 1600 pre-covid. A 25% increase basically accounts for the fallout from the zero interest rate covid insanity (not like MGMA median has gone up 25% lol), but still overall a joke in the scheme of the healthcare landscape when anesthesia can make 10k for a 24 hour shift or something. I remember meeting a guy in BFE, way way out there, making 1600/day in 2021 through an agency (full service in a busy clinic, not just babysitting). Like, what are you doing, dude? Why? How many ex wives you got?

the younger generating in my experience seems to place more of an emphasis on other factors like location and hours than reimbursement.
This is probably true, but the other factor to consider is that even if you wanted to work more, the work isn't there. If you want to be independent and cover 3 or 4 different clinics and have 70+ patients on treatment and work through the nights and weekends getting caught up, well there's just not enough work to go around and plenty of people comphealth can find to fill in instead. I knew guys who were doing this 20 years ago, driving through the night all over the place to cover places with rural exceptions and making nearly a typical annual starting salary now in a month. Yeah it's unusual, but at least it was possible. Just scrounging up 40 hours of work a week is hard now. I'm at a point in my life for various reasons and poor investment choices where I would absolutely bust my tail and pull 20k wRVU per year if I could. I'm just trying to get half that right now. Too many rad oncs, not enough treatments needed.

Once in a while I get unsolicited locums spam that looks REALLY good. Excellent compensation and desirable location.

Then I realize it's actually for a Diagnostic Radiologist or Medical Oncologist . . .

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
This is probably true, but the other factor to consider is that even if you wanted to work more, the work isn't there. If you want to be independent and cover 3 or 4 different clinics and have 70+ patients on treatment and work through the nights and weekends getting caught up, well there's just not enough work to go around and plenty of people comphealth can find to fill in instead. I knew guys who were doing this 20 years ago, driving through the night all over the place to cover places with rural exceptions and making nearly a typical annual starting salary now in a month. Yeah it's unusual, but at least it was possible. Just scrounging up 40 hours of work a week is hard now. I'm at a point in my life for various reasons and poor investment choices where I would absolutely bust my tail and pull 20k wRVU per year if I could. I'm just trying to get half that right now. Too many rad oncs, not enough treatments needed.
So many factors and they all go hand in hand. Academics gobbled up clinics and consolidation moved us to employed jobs with the limited scope you describe. It took willing participants to get there. It would take a lot of extremely motivated individuals to even try to change it. The point I was making is I think a growing contingency is actually fine with the overall model. It’s here to stay.

I was literally reading this thread when a recruiter called me for a locums gig.

Fortunately, my phone told me in big white letters "COMPHEALTH", so I knew it was safe to ignore in favor of my favorite activity: reading SDN.

(I know it was a locums gig from the 90 second voicemail they left...)

• Haha
So many factors and they all go hand in hand. Academics gobbled up clinics and consolidation moved us to employed jobs with the limited scope you describe. It took willing participants to get there. It would take a lot of extremely motivated individuals to even try to change it. The point I was making is I think a growing contingency is actually fine with the overall model. It’s here to stay.

I honestly don't understand the admin/chairperson mindset of preferring to hire 8 rad oncs and pay them 400k, call them a 1.0 FTE even though they have 3 consults a week, vs. hire 4 and let them be busy. Dedicate 20 hours a week to writing fluff pieces and DEI papers? There are some of us who WANT to see a lot of patients and even challenging ones. Take away the incentive to be busy and what do you get?

I was literally reading this thread when a recruiter called me for a locums gig.

Fortunately, my phone told me in big white letters "COMPHEALTH", so I knew it was safe to ignore in favor of my favorite activity: reading SDN.

(I know it was a locums gig from the 90 second voicemail they left...)
There are certain area codes that I auto-ignore at this point. 801 is the biggest offender (comp health). 754 and 678 runners up. God forbid anybody in Utah actually needs me for something legitimate.

Amen. Also another way of saying “there are some of us who want to make more than 400 a year.”

Correct. Shamelessly. Lot of gaslighting about incomes and expectations now.

Young employed rad oncs (and MDs in general) got completely shafted. They thought they were walking out (after a decade of sacrifice and delayed gratification) into a top 1%-tile professional class lifestyle that would quickly eliminate their debts and build wealth. Instead what they found was a 25% hit to anticipated lifestyle from rapid inflation that boomers were able to easily overcome from 7 figure compounding of their multi-7 figure portfolios with 155% growth of their NASDAQ positions over the last 5 years and near doubling of their paid off first and second homes, while their college friends who went into tech are also destroying inflation from the AI boom. And it's not getting any better from here...

Sure, MGMA is 5-10% higher than it used to be 5 years ago. Add a zero.

I honestly don't understand the admin/chairperson mindset of preferring to hire 8 rad oncs and pay them 400k, call them a 1.0 FTE even though they have 3 consults a week, vs. hire 4 and let them be busy. Dedicate 20 hours a week to writing fluff pieces and DEI papers? There are some of us who WANT to see a lot of patients and even challenging ones. Take away the incentive to be busy and what do you get?

There are certain area codes that I auto-ignore at this point. 801 is the biggest offender (comp health). 754 and 678 runners up. God forbid anybody in Utah actually needs me for something legitimate.

I would highly recommend changing your phone settings to send all unknown callers to voicemail. Game changer. Anyone who actually needs anything will leave a vm.

I mean surely you understand it. You don't like it, but you understand it. That administrator - who will on average be in his/her position for 2 years - will apply for their next job/promotion and be able to say they led an 8 provider department that had very high revenue and patient satisfaction scores -- which sounds better than leading a 4 provider department with the same revenue and satisfaction. Plus it makes vacation/call coverage easy, and if one doc misbheaves who cares - fire 'em.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
"I honestly don't understand the admin/chairperson mindset of preferring to hire 8 rad oncs and pay them 400k, call them a 1.0 FTE even though they have 3 consults a week, vs. hire 4 and let them be busy."

Simple narcissism. You are in charge of more people. You are more important.

"I honestly don't understand the admin/chairperson mindset of preferring to hire 8 rad oncs and pay them 400k, call them a 1.0 FTE even though they have 3 consults a week, vs. hire 4 and let them be busy."

Simple narcissism. You are in charge of more people. You are more important.
I guess I should clarify that I don't understand it from a high level executive standpoint in terms of incentivizing production vs. having a cattle call to hire unmotivated low paid salaried staff who are more interested in punching a clock for steady pay and benefits.

I have unfortunately witnessed chairs bragging about their "notch count". And definitely at the low-mid level department manager level trying to ladder climb.

we may be underestimating the amount of radoncs who no longer want to carry a 30 patients census. I think there are many that prefer 15 patients.

May be hard to find the ones that want to work that hard especially in an employed model

we may be underestimating the amount of radoncs who no longer want to carry a 30 patients census. I think there are many that prefer 15 patients.

May be hard to find the ones that want to work that hard especially in an employed model

Yep.

Esp if some hard to recruit places are paying you closer to 30 than 15 on your census

HERE I AM!

Really hard to find a place that will cater to that. Other rad oncs have set a precedent for horrible inefficiency and can’t get things done on time with a 15 patient load in clinic 5 days a week.

Reactions: 2 users
HERE I AM!

Really hard to find a place that will cater to that. Other rad oncs have set a precedent for horrible inefficiency and can’t get things done on time with a 15 patient load in clinic 5 days a week.

You sound like a hospital admin

Also the numbers thing is way more meaningless now. If you do all at 1.8-2 you have more patients on beam. Hypofractionation and more SBRT has changed many things. I know people who carrry 15 and work pretty hard, constant sims and consults and shorter courses. So people are working harder and making less. SAD

With a typical community mix I much prefer 15 to 30, although I don't mind working hard
However my wallet prefers 30 and I know what happens when that number drops
I'll probably prefer 15 in ten years
Unfortunately most of us don't get to choose how busy we are and the Goldilocks volume never seems to exist

Reactions: 2 users
With a typical community mix I much prefer 15 to 30, although I don't mind working hard
However my wallet prefers 30 and I know what happens when that number drops
I'll probably prefer 15 in ten years
Unfortunately most of us don't get to choose how busy we are and the Goldilocks volume never seems to exist
Payment structure obviously matters. Hospital employed and salaried with limited incentive bonus = enough patients to keep you busy and stimulated but not bleed into your nights and weekends. I personally have zero issues with the "standard" job being something in the $400K range if it is set up fairly. IE, the pay is commiserate with the workload. Where I take issue are the places that want to pay you $400K to do north of $1M effort. Or worse...take over your practice, consume your revenue, and offer you half of what you were making to do the same amount of work.

Reactions: 5 users
Where I take issue are the places that want to pay you $400K to do north of $1M effort. Or worse...take over your practice, consume your revenue, and offer you half of what you were making to do the same amount of work.

Unfortunately it is private practices that are most guilty of this. I have lived it. Half? Try getting a third of your pro collections and being told it's because you are in a "desirable area" (it's not). If 400k is a fine income for you, it's probably hard to beat the VA. Or you could do 15k wRVU in PP and never be able to take vacation and earn that. F that.

Unfortunately it is private practices that are most guilty of this. I have lived it. Half? Try getting a third of your pro collections and being told it's because you are in a "desirable area" (it's not).

Absolutely agree.

I think the highest chance of getting screwed these days is in a true PP. highest long term potential too of course. But some or many of them imo are looking to screw over young grads. Some of them totally misread the job market too and think they can get away with it.

I am sure many young grads have thought...

Well, I'm having to do 2-3x as much work as I anticipated but it will be ok because in a few years I'll be a partner and share the extra income from the next sucker that joins.

Free lesson: If they're screwing you that badly on the front end, they are not going to make you a partner on the back end. People that are accustomed to taking don't usually like to start sharing. Caveat: Daddy owns the practice (common).