This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkbbbb

Reaction score
Date of submission: 4/12/22

Overall GPA: 3.61

Science GPA: 3.64

DAT score:
  • PAT: 19
  • QR: 18
  • RC: 21
  • Bio: 17
  • GC: 19
  • OC: 19
  • TS: 18
  • AA: 19
State of Residence: Texas

Major: Biology

Minority? Female, Arab

Reapplicant? No

Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
  • 60 + hrs (*note: this will be higher by the time I actually submit my application)
  • General Dentist
  • Orthodontist
  • Periodontist
Volunteering Experience:
  • 200+ hrs
  • Homeless shelters
  • Construction projects (Habitat for humanity)
  • Food bank
  • Nursing homes
Employment:
  • I work at an orthodontist clinic currently since last November
Research:
  • Volunteered in a exercise and science nutrition lab for 8 months; my name was listed on one presentation as the fourth author

Other Extracurriculars:
  • Orientation Leader
  • Peer mentor (meet with freshmen students 1/1 and mentor them)
  • Volunteer coordinator of the pre-dental society at my university
  • Organization dedicated to volunteering and community service

Relevant Honors or Awards:
  • President’s + Dean’s List every semester since spring 2018
  • 1 scholarship for exemplary leadership
  • Peer mentor spotlight
  • Biology department student spotlight
  • Orientation leader of the month

LOR type and strength:
  • 1 from orthodontist that I work for
  • 1 from my research PI
  • 1 from the volunteer coordinator at the homeless shelter I volunteer at
  • 1 from my cell biology lab professor

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
  • Retook Bio I & Calculus in undergrad

School list:

First choices - these are all the schools in Texas. I am highly considering these and will gladly attend if accepted.
  • University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
  • University of Texas School of Dentistry at Houston
  • Texas A&M University/Baylor College
  • Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso
Second choices - these schools are either close to family/have programs that I’ve looked into
  • University of Washington
  • University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine
  • Oregon Health and Science University
  • Creighton University
  • University of Nebraska Medical Center
Hopeful choices - I’m applying for these on the off chance that they accept me. These are more satirical than legitimate choices, so feel free to disregard
  • Boston University
  • Columbia University
  • Harvard School of Dental Medicine
  • New York University
  • University of California, Los Angeles
  • University of California, San Francisco
  • University of Southern California

Hello all. Thank you for taking the time to read this and/or reply. I JUST walked out of the testing center where I took my DAT (AA:19) and I can’t lie, I’m pretty upset. I was hoping for higher, but I’m wondering if I should retake it. Please let me know what you all think based on experience/research.

Thank you! Have a great day

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Ive had friends within your GPA range and DAT score get accepted, so its not impossible! The 17 in Bio may work against you though. Im not super familiar with Texas schools, but I know they're pretty competitive so a re-take is worth it IMO. How did you study for the DAT? If you do choose to retake, I used DAT Booster and DAT Destroyer and found them very effective in preparing me well. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve talked personally to the associate deans of admissions at UTSD-Houston. And he said nothing below a 22AA pretty much for their school.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP: I think you need to redate your "submission date" since we want to know when you sent in your AADSAS. I agree that you really need a stronger DAT score unless there is really something notable with your journey to dentistry for holistic review, and what you have disclosed does not contain anything to that effect.

Reactions: 1 user
OP: I think you need to redate your "submission date" since we want to know when you sent in your AADSAS. I agree that you really need a stronger DAT score unless there is really something notable with your journey to dentistry for holistic review, and what you have disclosed does not contain anything to that effect.
I assume she means she will apply this upcoming cycle.

But yes I agree a higher score would immensely help your app

Ive had friends within your GPA range and DAT score get accepted, so its not impossible! The 17 in Bio may work against you though. Im not super familiar with Texas schools, but I know they're pretty competitive so a re-take is worth it IMO. How did you study for the DAT? If you do choose to retake, I used DAT Booster and DAT Destroyer and found them very effective in preparing me well. Good luck!
I used DAT bootcamp and studied from January til April. I did content review (reading and taking notes) for about 90% of my studying, then turned to questions/exams for the last 10% (last 2 weeks). I realized once I started doing the questions routinely that I had wasted so much time taking notes. I wish I had started with that, but now I know. Thank you for your advice! I have heard destroyer is great.

Oh my apologies, I thought that was referring to the date of my WAMC forum thread submission to the community.
Good to know. I have a follow up question: if I were to retake the DAT, should I wait to submit my application until I retake it, or submit it with my current score then retake it and email the schools I applied to with the update?