Is there a place that shows previous years interview questions per program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robin-jay

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Same as the title. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've never seen anything like that. If it exists its school specific. Its hard to justify though - in a year you'll potentially be the resident at this program. Why would you want your programs questions online?

Reactions: 1 users
Better to ask the residents what the format is. Agree with @heybrother. Many programs have their residents make PowerPoints that are different each year… at least at good programs they do lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Better to ask the residents what the format is. Agree with @heybrother. Many programs have their residents make PowerPoints that are different each year… at least at good programs they do lol.
I suppose the other take is that programs often cover materials with students that they think are valuable / relevant during their clerkship month that might give them a heads up at the interview. But again, I've never seen a formal "question set". I thought PRISM was fairly high yield for interviews as far as working up trauma / diabetic foot infections, but my experience is growing stale.

I suppose the other take is that programs often cover materials with students that they think are valuable / relevant during their clerkship month that might give them a heads up at the interview. But again, I've never seen a formal "question set". I thought PRISM was fairly high yield for interviews as far as working up trauma / diabetic foot infections, but my experience is growing stale.
For sure. But its not like they're giving you the direct answers for the interview either, maybe just high yield topics.

I like prism and crozier. Feet by flowers wasn't as comprehensive but I liked that one as well, especially for many of the landmark articles main points.

interviews are a great time. loved the barbecue and seeing friends.

For sure. But its not like they're giving you the direct answers for the interview either, maybe just high yield topics.

I like prism and crozier. Feet by flowers wasn't as comprehensive but I liked that one as well, especially for many of the landmark articles main points.

interviews are a great time. loved the barbecue and seeing friends.
Substantially more enjoyable as a resident.

I moved the thread to the student forum. A PDF of program rankings and old questions is usually passed down from seniors to juniors. Talk to your seniors. There is also a pdf list from the APMSA.

Infection workup
Trauma/Ankle fracture workup
Bunion workup
Flatfoot/Cavus workup
Sports medicine injury workup

Some programs will make themselves feel important by asking questions based on asinine minutiae.

If you spent a month at our program, chances are we already know whether we're taking you or just doing the interview out of courtesy.

A long time ago when I went through there was a program that requested students read a chapter of this wound care book for the interview.

I am pretty sure I got highly ranked just because I was one of the few that actually read the chapter as requested and could answer their questions.

I did not chose this program.

What I can remember:

PSL - they will sit you 1 on 1 in a hotel room and ask you the most random esoteric questions. Most were stuff I had zero clue about.

Swedish - first round is a set of 20-30 questions and based on your score you get invited back for second interview. Half random weird stuff, other half more rearfot stuff like what TAR implant is this

JPS - 5 people sitting in front of you on a very narrow table, guess they wanted to see if you get intimidated easily. Pretty standard gout gone bad infection work up. Second round was just social, shooting the **** style

Most of these competitive programs already knew who they wanted. Interviews were just a formality. If you’re socially awkward, weird, lack a personality, probably won’t stand much of a chance

...Most of these competitive programs already knew who they wanted. Interviews were just a formality. If you’re socially awkward, weird, lack a personality, probably won’t stand much of a chance
Yeah, any competitive program gets many clerks and already knows who they want.
Interviews are basically to establish who their backups are and how to rank them if their top choices for that year's cycle don't want the program for some reason.

For the social interviews (majority of good programs, esp if you did the clerkship), just search behavioral interview question lists. Have a few stories of your past jobs, successes, experiences in mind to apply to situations.

For the academic/mixed interviews (some programs - esp if you didn't clerk), you have been studying that stuff for years (hopefully). You simply try to know what kind of cases the program does/publishes, and just study a lot like as if you were studying for boards... quiz XRs with classmates, etc. If you're looking for answers to your interview from "previous years" (a la OTQs in pod school), that won't happen. If it did, do you really want to go to a program that lazy?
If academic, it's typically case workups/XRs format. If you get peppered with narrow and pointed academic questions, they are probably just razzing you as you're a non-clerk who is a deep deep backup rank - or unranked almost no matter how you perform. If it almost feels like hazing, even worse... don't bother to rank them.

...rearfot stuff like what TAR implant is this ...
"Looks like one that will fail and need revision or amputation in about 5-15 years, sir."

If you feel like an interview is hazing, remember that in 3 years they're still going to be podiatrists - no matter what title they use on Instagram
Yes, some programs are too big for their britches... especially to interview students who didn't clerk.

At the end of the day, it's podiatry school. The average MCATs and the acceptance rate of virtually 100% speak for themselves.
Even though there are a only few dozen pretty good DPM residency programs and the balance of residency seats to students is definitely swinging back in favor of the programs, there are plenty of students who are not stellar... so the good programs are always wise to be respectful.

Elite students don't need to put up with the BS; just like the top programs, they have options also.