Is there a feasible pathway for an EM -> HPM adult physician to become a children's hospice palliative care physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndieFranco

Reaction score
Is there a feasible pathway for an EM -> HPM adult physician to become a children's hospice palliative care physician?

Adult EM residency with a traditional HPM fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

Adult EM residency with a traditional HPM fellowship?
While I suppose it might be technically possible I somewhat doubt that any academic center (where almost all the peds pall jobs are) would want an “adult” doctor, which is absolutely how they view em/fm/anesthesia regardless of how many children we regularly treat.

It may be possible to find a job in hospice where you end up accepting some pediatric cases, although these are thankfully much less numerous than the adults, and generally still have a dedicated pediatric team

While I am incredibly thankful there are people willing to do this job, peds palliative gives me significant empathy for the people who shake their heads and say they could never do my (adult only thank the heavens) job.