Is it possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hemichordate

Peds
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible for a person to match into ophtho residency, but fail to match into an internship program?

Members don't see this ad.

Given that they are completely separate matches, the simple answer is Yes.

But most ophtho applicants are well qualified and competitive for most internships, so it is unlikely if you apply to enough programs and do enough interviews. I would recommend about 10 internship interview to feel safe, especially if you are considering competitive TY internships which also get great applicants from derm, rad-onc, rads, etc. I matched at my #3 for ophtho, a solid mid tier program but "fell" to #7 for internship. I thought I was going to match in my top 3 for sure and I ranked 9 so I probably came close to having to scramble for an internship like a surg prelim at my home institution (barf).

In addition, some ophtho programs will basically backdoor guarantee you a spot at their institution's internships if you match there. The internships typically being either a prelim med or transitional year, which are usually more rigorous because they are an the academic institution. Definitely something to think about because you won't have to stress the ERAS match and you will only have to move once.

Given that they are completely separate matches, the simple answer is Yes.

But most ophtho applicants are well qualified and competitive for most internships, so it is unlikely if you apply to enough programs and do enough interviews. I would recommend about 10 internship interview to feel safe, especially if you are considering competitive TY internships which also get great applicants from derm, rad-onc, rads, etc. I matched at my #3 for ophtho, a solid mid tier program but "fell" to #7 for internship. I thought I was going to match in my top 3 for sure and I ranked 9 so I probably came close to having to scramble for an internship like a surg prelim at my home institution (barf).

In addition, some ophtho programs will basically backdoor guarantee you a spot at their institution's internships if you match there. The internships typically being either a prelim med or transitional year, which are usually more rigorous because they are an the academic institution. Definitely something to think about because you won't have to stress the ERAS match and you will only have to move once.

Always wondered about this. Do people really only apply to 10 or so? For me I would ideally like to do prelim in the same city where I match ophtho, but I won't really have a good idea of where I might land until the interviews start coming in. When is the latest you can reasonably add programs to your list (I assume it would be overkill to apply to several programs in every city of every ophtho program you're applying to...)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info guys. And what would you talk about at the internship interview anyways? I mean for the ophtho ones, I'm sure the PD will want to get a feel for your interest in the field and want to know how you got interested, but what would you say for your internship interview (since everyone is obligated to do one)?

Thanks for the info guys. And what would you talk about at the internship interview anyways? I mean for the ophtho ones, I'm sure the PD will want to get a feel for your interest in the field and want to know how you got interested, but what would you say for your internship interview (since everyone is obligated to do one)?

Most internship interviews I had were almost unnecessary. The PD is just looking to fill up his or her slots for one year. They don't really care that much how. Questions were brief, like "why this program?", "tell me a patient scenario," or "where is your categorical program?" They barely lasted 5 minutes.

"What would you like to get out of your intern year" seemed to come up a lot, and then the rest of the generic "tell me about experience x, tell me about yourself, etc".

The TY program in Reading, PA (super cush with a built in elective to do ocular path at wills) had an MMI style interview.

Always wondered about this. Do people really only apply to 10 or so? For me I would ideally like to do prelim in the same city where I match ophtho, but I won't really have a good idea of where I might land until the interviews start coming in. When is the latest you can reasonably add programs to your list (I assume it would be overkill to apply to several programs in every city of every ophtho program you're applying to...)

I applied to 15 and did 8 interviews.. After you match ophtho you'll have a little bit of time, and options. Your ophtho program might set you up with their home institution internship programs, or internships coordinators at local community programs that they have relationships with to help you get your foot in the door for interview consideration.

Most internship interviews I had were almost unnecessary. The PD is just looking to fill up his or her slots for one year. They don't really care that much how. Questions were brief, like "why this program?", "tell me a patient scenario," or "where is your categorical program?" They barely lasted 5 minutes.

I don't know...a lot of the competitive, cush TY programs I interviewed at seemed to take themselves pretty seriously. I think they know they have a lot of very qualified applicants to choose from.