Found ophtho late - even possible to switch into now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quigon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a fourth year US medical student who has nearly finished interviewing for a non-surgical residency. It had always been a struggle for me in choosing a field since the beginning of third year, but over the past few months, I've come to realize that the field I'm applying into may not be the best fit for me. I have had some experience with ophthalmology, though peripherally via other clerkships, but I have done a lot of reading and have taken an interest in the field, particularly retina and pediatrics. The field appears to offer a lot of what I hope to get out of my career and I was considering not going through with the match; however, I realize it's the end of January of fourth year.

I realize no one can predict how any particular application may be received, but I wanted to seek some opinions here before moving forward and speaking with my home department.

Here are some general academics:
Step 1: 250+
Step 2: 250+
Third year grades: All honors
Elected to AOA
Research: one publication, two abstracts (all non-ophtho)
School: Top 25 with a home ophthalmology department (though unsure where they "rank)

I realize my academics are good, but I am worried about other aspects of my application. Namely:
(1) Late realization in fourth year (reflects negatively on me? reflects lack of commitment?)
(2) Lack of ophthalmology research + half of fourth year over
(3) Lack of ophthalmology-related extracurriculars
(4) How to proceed from here if feasible? (clinical research for sure; start attending some clinics to get to know faculty?)

Thank you everyone for any assistance, as this has been a real struggle in trying decide which field I hope to ultimately settle in.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there. I'm a PGY-1 who matched into ophthalmology last year. Like you, I struggled to find an interest in most of my 3rd year clerkships. Ophthalmology saved me. In your situation, I think it is hard to say whether you truly like it or not. Reading is one thing and seeing it clinically every day is quite another. Will you have any time to shadow in the near future?

With regards to your current choice, personally I wouldn't submit a rank list and match into a specialty that I don't have a passion for. All medical fields require significant sacrifice and you have to enjoy the subject matter. If you think you are truly interested in ophthalmology as a career, I would find some time in the VERY immediate future to shadow. If you can quickly make a decision, you may be able to set up a ophtho pathology fellowship somewhere where you can get in on some research and see more ophthalmology while you go through the application cycle.

The good thing is you recognized a lack of passion early. If you decide to re-evaluate and go a different route then this next year or two may be difficult and unorthodox, but worth it for what should be a long and fulfilling career.

As far as your stats go, you are an excellent candidate. I think you could explain what happened very easily. Ophtho departments will recognize that many med students don't get exposure to ophtho until late in med school so it is understandable. I think it would show great courage and resilience to switch paths and drop out of the match to pursue what you're really interested in.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

definitely not too late. i start optho residency this July. i switched out of a non surgical specialty when Eras opened and used the remaineder of 4th yr for electives during which time i fell in love with Ophtho. I used eras just to apply to prelim years and subsequently matched into ophtho during my prelim medicine year (i did 8 weeks of ophtho elective at my home department during spring of 4th yr during which i secured letters, etc..). my stats are similar to yours but from less well known med school and i was not AOA. PM me and i can give u more info

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
also, much easier to switch now before you match to a categorical field as that will severely complicate things for you---match is binding agreement and you would have to leave, lose GME funding, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you very much @Gumbercules and @ojoseco for the very helpful and encouraging posts. I really appreciate it!!

I realize the first thing I have to do is seek out more direct ophthalmology experience before moving forward, but I just wanted to see if there was anyone else that had any general advice or personal experience they might like to share.