Other OT-Related Information Is commuting to OTD school too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gOT2beOT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently awaiting acceptance from a few more schools but one of my top choices is about a 45-60 min drive from my house. I am going to be married and living in a permanent house with my husband while in school so renting near campus is not a feasible option for me.

IF accepted, my plan would be to commute and hopefullyyy make a couple good friends that I could crash with if the weather became too bad in the winter. Does anyone else commute or plan to commute? Currently I drive this same amount of time to my full-time job so that would not be an adjustment.

Thoughts/advice/concerns are welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's definitely worth commuting if you're saving money on rent and able to live with your husband! Where is the school?

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's definitely worth commuting if you're saving money on rent and able to live with your husband! Where is the school?
Thank you for the positive words!

Its in a small town right outside of Pittsburgh! I live in Pittsburgh and its about 45-60 mins outside of town depending on traffic. I went there for undergrad so I am itching to get in and go back if I can! Its just a little different this time around!

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely think commuting would be worth it! My friend is in a master program right now and commutes around an hour everyday.

I definitely think commuting would be worth it! My friend is in a master program right now and commutes around an hour everyday.
Thank you! Thats very encouraging to hear! How do they fare with the commute? Is it a master OT program?

She's actually in a Speech Pathology program! A lot of the students don't live on campus/near campus so they typically car pool together. She said it doesn't bother her and feels like its completely worth it.

She's actually in a Speech Pathology program! A lot of the students don't live on campus/near campus so they typically car pool together. She said it doesn't bother her and feels like its completely worth it.
Wow, so an equally rigorous program to say the least. Thats awesome to hear that its working out!