Is an autoclave necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As a total toenail replacement surgeon, I keep my clinic running smoothly by requiring all patients to have both socks and rotten bedroom loafers off before I enter the room. If I open the door and they have their socks still on then I’ll immediately make a U turn at the door and let them know they can have a few minutes to get situated with their socks off. I will then go see another patient entirely.
Why you gotta bring up the loafers?
Its a saturday

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So staph aureus in blood is different than staph aureus on skin?
Passing pathogens person to person (Hep C, HIV, MRSA, etc) is not the same as using the nippers to cut all the nails.

Im really confused about your argument.

Members don't see this ad :)
So staph aureus in blood is different than staph aureus on skin?

Well yeah. You can have staph colonization on your intact skin without any sort of pathologic response. Not so much once you’re bacteremic. Is this a serious question?

Reactions: 1 users
Gentlemen are we not most concerned though about Trichophyton rubrum?!?!?!?!11

For concierge podiatry service, we should offer to dip patients feet into the communal green liquid and be autoclaving their socks and loafers as well. This will help retain patients from the anti-moustache hospital podiatrists that hurt our profession.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Passing pathogens person to person (Hep C, HIV, MRSA, etc) is not the same as using the nippers to cut all the nails.

Im really confused about your argument.
Just sayin we use sterile nippers, but as soon as you cut through some of the nastiest material on the human body, you aren't sterile.

Just sayin we use sterile nippers, but as soon as you cut through some of the nastiest material on the human body, you aren't sterile.

James Franco Omg GIF

We're (hopefully) not breaking the skin barrier with these 'non-sterile' nail nippers on nails 2-10 so the argument of maintaining surgical sterility doesn't make a ton of sense in my book. Maybe there's a hypothetical argument when using the same nippers on a fungal hallux nail and a healthy 2nd toenail, but let's be honest, that nail has already been exposed to T. rubrum anyways. Nail jail gang for life!

Should we be trimming the nondystrophic nails first to avoid cross contamination with the mycotic nails, instead of going straight down the line?

God, I remember I used to ponder things like morality, life after death, the meaning of life. Now I think about this. Sometimes I hate what podiatry has done to me.

I usually go in order for easiest to trim and save the big boys for last, it helps manage time better. So it does sort of work out more hygienic I suppose

I usually go in order for easiest to trim and save the big boys for last, it helps manage time better. So it does sort of work out more hygienic I suppose

Powerful critical thinking skills

• Hmm
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you. Maybe one day these skills will help me qualify to do TTR’s at my local hospital.
Yeah, that's definitely a hospital thing no way in ASC wants to eat the hardware costs associated with that. Way too many components it just doesn't reimburse well for them.