budget alternative to autoclave

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Creflo

time to eat
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I've read, glutaraldehyde is a less optimal alternative to autoclaving instruments for sterilization. Understanding that autoclave is the best choice, regarding glutaraldehyde, does anyone know how to maintain the sterility of the instrument after the 10 hour soak? In other words, the instrument won't be wrapped in the autoclave bag, so how to transport the (ingrown nail procedure) instrument from the glutaraldehyde container to patient?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've read, glutaraldehyde is a less optimal alternative to autoclaving instruments for sterilization. Understanding that autoclave is the best choice, regarding glutaraldehyde, does anyone know how to maintain the sterility of the instrument after the 10 hour soak? In other words, the instrument won't be wrapped in the autoclave bag, so how to transport the (ingrown nail procedure) instrument from the glutaraldehyde container to patient?
Glutaraldehyde is usually utilized as a point-of-use high-level disinfectant or cold sterilant (depending on concentration and immersion time, as you mentioned), so I think most avoid the impracticality of transporting the instruments by just using immersion trays directly in the exam or procedure room (if you want to just bring in the trays for procedures, that works, too). If the time and concentration for sterilization are met, just making sure the individual instruments maintain contact with only the sterile field is the way to maintain the sterility, using only a sterile towel or evaporation prior to use to dry them out. If you want truly sterile instruments for ingrown nails, I'm not sure about cold sterilization being more practical than maintaining heat-sterilized instrument packs due to the length of time required for true sterility with glutaraldehyde (3 hours for alkalinized 2% solution).

Last edited:
I disagree. The glass bead sterilizer train left the station years ago. At the present time these are sold by companies out of India and they often hawk their products at seminars. Before you purchase one of these units, do your homework and do some literature reviews. Don't take the manufacturer's word for it. Look it up and you'll see that there is very little if any current literature to support the use of these antiquated devices.

In my opinion gluteraldehyde is ok for palliative instruments when there is no blood (cutting nails). For ANY procedure that is invasive, true sterilization (i.e. Autoclave) is the gold standard. Be very careful, if a disgruntled employee or patient reports you for not using a true sterilizer with sterilizer packs, it could destroy your career snd reputation.

Get an autoclave or bucket type pressure sterilizer. You and your patients deserve no less.